Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #856
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No chance of seeing that. It would be as costly to make as a normal modern lens - not a D FA* of course - but it would be manual focus, have an useless aperture ring current cameras can't use, and optics designed decades ago.
People wanting old lenses will simply buy old lenses.

21mm is a focal length better suited for a Limited.
Most of what you're describing also applies to the D-FA 50 Macro, FA 31, 43, and 77, and the HD FA 35. And I've no idea what you're basing this "20 wouldn't work as a Limited but 21 does". Like, what? What?

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 05:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Don't want to hijack this thread, but: Why is that? From the user reviews it looks like everybody agree that this is an excellent lens. I admit I don't frequent the lens forum as much as I probably should, so there may be discussions about this lens that I haven't discovered. Are there anyone having somethong against this lens?
I think the FA*24 has some IQ images at the edges that don't really go away with stopping down. On center it seems good. It's kind of like a lot of Sigma lenses in this respect.

I missed the boat on these when they were new-ish and at this point I think I'd rather have Sigma's 24 EX DG.

12-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #857
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
The thing is that it is not replacing anything in a line up. It is completely new DFA 21 limited lens.
It is not FA 20/2.8. In fact I think that they will actually have that as DFA 20/2.8 HD at nice price range for people who would like it as they did for 35/2.

This new limited is for photographers who have 31,43 and 77 already. Ones who like unique rendering and feeling they do have. But this time it is with WR and DC.
I wasn’t referring to the available-new lens lineup, though I can understand how you may have thought that, and it’s the focal length I was mainly talking about (yes, 20 versus 21 – in theory they could be respectively anywhere between about 19.5 and 21.5, of course) rather than the standard of specification. Since it’s been a long time since there was a 35FF Pentax lens available in this range, we can probably overlook the differences here.

While the thought of a new version of the FA20/2.8 would be nice, it seems to me that the only lower-specification lenses being worked on now are zooms. There was an ongoing demand for the older FA35/2, so the minimal treatment needed to update it could be justified. The FA20/2.8 has been so long out of production that I’d doubt it’d be considered for similar treatment, but you never know.
12-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #858
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Most of what you're describing also applies to the D-FA 50 Macro, FA 31, 43, and 77, and the HD FA 35. And I've no idea what you're basing this "20 wouldn't work as a Limited but 21 does". Like, what? What?
Nope.
All these lenses are autofocus.
All these lenses have an aperture ring because they were made to work with film cameras. And that's because even the newest one - the D FA 50mm macro - was announced then Pentax had a single DSLR.
Neither is new; but all of them were kept in production rather than discontinued decades ago.
Yet all of them are much newer than the M 20mm f/4 (by at least 2 decades).

31mm, 43mm, 77mm... it seems to me, 21mm would be a better fit than a 20mm.
12-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're forgetting the 15, 35, 40, and 70. The HD FA 35 came out in 2019. None of this matters anyway, Ricoh seems to believe compact optics aren't in their interest anymore.

12-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #860
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
You're forgetting the 15, 35, 40, and 70. The HD FA 35 came out in 2019. None of this matters anyway, Ricoh seems to believe compact optics aren't in their interest anymore.
The DA Limiteds - you forgot the 21 - are autofocus, and don't have aperture rings; what about them?
The HD FA 35mm is just a new batch of the old FA 35mm. Make no mistake, it retains the aperture ring because it's cheaper to do so.
12-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #861

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
On an isolated level, probably not that much. But DSLR wide angle lenses are usually retrofocal in their design compared to more simple designs in short flange mounts. That usually means from a cost perspective it's likely that the more simple design will be easier to correct for, which means that in the DSLR lens, there's less money left to spend on widening the aperture on a cost to cost basis.
I don't expect new Limiteds to still have an aperture ring
12-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #862
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by torge Quote
I don't expect new Limiteds to still have an aperture ring
Except for the old FAs, none have it. Including the upcoming D FA 21mm.

12-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #863
Pentaxian

Am I correct in assuming that the older FA and DA limiteds won't autofocus on the K3-III as it requires a motor in the lens for that purpose ?
You'd expect an update of the limiteds then any time soon. Although soon is a relative term...
12-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #864
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Am I correct in assuming that the older FA and DA limiteds won't autofocus on the K3-III as it requires a motor in the lens for that purpose ?
You'd expect an update of the limiteds then any time soon. Although soon is a relative term...
I don't think that is correct.

The images of the "naked" K3-III show a screwdrive connector, so they should focus fine with the older lenses.

-Eric
12-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #865
Pentaxian

Why would you think the K-3iii doesn't provide that? The "Naked K-3iii"
Naked K-3 III? Why not? - PentaxForums.com
shows something directly opposite the mounting mark, exactly where the screw-drive is on my K-30.

12-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #866
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing to worry about, Pentax will be retaining the in-body screwdrive mechanism for the foreseeable future.

Also, highly doubtful the screwdrive Limiteds will be "upgraded" with in-lens motors. We will simply see new Limiteds with in-lens motors (HD 20-40, DFA 21 Ltd).

Last edited by luftfluss; 12-20-2020 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo
12-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #867
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nothing to worry about, Pentax will be retaining the in-body screwdrive mechanism for the foreseeable future.

Also, highly doubtful the screwdrive Limiteds will be "upgraded" with in-lens motors. We will simply see new Limiteds with in-body motors (HD 20-40, DFA 21 Ltd).
Your quote marks shouldn't be there.
Quiet in-lens motors are a definite upgrade these days - and they provide quick and sure - as well as quiet - focusing.
12-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #868
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The "Naked K-3iii" shows something directly opposite the mounting mark, exactly where the screw-drive is on my K-30.
I already hoped I had been overlooking something...
12-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #869
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Compatible Lens KAF4, KAF3, KAF2 (power zoom compatible), KAF, KA mount lens.

So yes, it has screw drive.
12-21-2020, 12:10 AM   #870
Veteran Member

It would be a travesty if Pentax released the K-3 III without the screwmount whilst still selling ltds.
Closed Thread