Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2021, 05:33 AM   #1186
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yes, indeed. I enjoy showing it to non-Pentaxians. Even more so if I have the 40 Ltd with me at the same time.

03-29-2021, 05:43 AM   #1187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hadn't noticed that - but, honestly, I don't see that it would add much utility.

The glass is not inset as much as it looks in the photo, but the lens does come with more "natural" shading than that 'hood' would add.
Attached Images

03-29-2021, 06:21 AM - 5 Likes   #1188
Veteran Member

Fwiw.... I saw this image recently... and decided I will spend this years pentax money on a bread oven (other hobby).... and wine.
Attached Images

03-29-2021, 06:23 AM   #1189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Fwiw.... I saw this image recently... and decided I will spend this years pentax money on a bread oven (other hobby).... and wine.
Looks like she's preparing for a "girl's night in"!

03-29-2021, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #1190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spent hundreds of hours and about $3000 last summer building a brick pizza oven in my back yard. This year the funds go to a K-3iii.
03-29-2021, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #1191
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks like a BIG-uette. But maybe it's just the distortion of a wide angle lens like the 21 Limited, just to keep it on topic....
03-29-2021, 10:23 AM - 5 Likes   #1192
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Starpacer Quote
All very good points... I've been printing some large panoramas of cityscapes (up to 40" wide), lots of fine detail, so very high res files are needed for tack sharp lines in buildings, etc. At 300 DPI, the 40" print would require a 'native' 12,000 pixels, which is about where the 100MP camera is... of course as you point out, stitching and/or interpolation could easily provide that, assuming the subject is stationary.
As I mentioned, the latest emulation of Camera RAW will take a K1 file and make it into a 144mp file. This is done using artificial intelligence, and from my initial tests, is not your daddy's Oldsmobile if you are looking at calling it interpolation.
QuoteQuote:
I threw out the 100MP figure as an example of where Pentax isn't likely to go, or even be capable of going, even while others DO deliver, as an example of issues that will eventually face the company. Remember, the reason this topic wound up in this thread? It was the apparent inability of Pentax to deliver the promised 21mm D FA Limited in a timely manner.

For me, the 21mm Limited is very, very exciting, a game changer. With that lens and my K1, I would have been mostly satisfied for another few years, until a truly upgraded full frame camera is introduced (using say a 50-60 MP sensor, probably the maximum practical for 36x24 sensor). This all seemed like a great plan, but then I realized, oh wait, the 21mm was announced almost a year ago, now zero mention.. No mention of a new full frame camera... I'm not getting any younger, can't wait forever...hopefully we hear something about the 21mm soon!
If Ricoh keeps the 645 in the line, it will have to go to 100mp or larger simply because that is the chip available. I expect the next generation full frame will be in the 50mp range.

Ricoh has a history of delivering more or less on time compared to what they say they will do, not what some rumor mill says they should do.
Frankly, kicking them for being late when they aren't late, especially when we don't know how badly they have been affected by the pandemic is borderline juvenile.

However, if you can't wait any longer, go buy what works for you from another brand. Just do us all a favor and don't be a drama queen about it.

---------- Post added Mar 29th, 2021 at 11:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Oh those spoiled brats, whining because their little toys aren't there at time
Patience is a golden path.
The First World is full of serious problems.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-09-2021 at 02:31 PM.
03-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #1193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
As I mentioned, the latest emulation of Camera RAW will take a K1 file ant make it into a 144mp file. This is done using artificial intelligence, and from my initial tests, is not your daddy's Oldsmobile if you are looking at calling it interpolation.
As a mathematician, the process probably is interpolation - which is often quite accurate.
I taught it at the college level at one time as part of our Computer major.
03-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #1194

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Where did they say they were going to focus on APS-C DSLRs?
Let's see...

List of Pentax Full Frame cameras: K1, K1-ii (same camera)

List of Pentax APS-C cameras: K10d,K20d,K100, K110, K7, K-m, K-x, K-r, K5, K01,K5-ii, K5-iis,K-30,K-50, K-500,K-S1, K-S2, K3, K3-ii,K-70, KP

Yes, I don't know what I was thinking. My mistake.
03-29-2021, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #1195
Veteran Member

Let's see...

List of Pentax APS-C cameras: K10d,K20d,K100, K110, K7, K-m, K-x, K-r, K5, K01,K5-ii, K5-iis,K-30,K-50, K-500,K-S1, K-S2, K3, K3-ii,K-70, KP

Yeah, it's totally fair to list a whole bunch of cameras that came out before Pentax even came out with the K-1. Since the K-1 came out, they have released the K-1 ii, the KP, and the K-70. Since the K-1 ii came out, they have released nothing. If you watched the video presentations released around CP+, it's clear that they plan to continue the K-1 line in full-frame and the K-3 line in APS-C. I hope they will continue the 645 line, too, but that seems more up in the air.
03-29-2021, 01:39 PM - 4 Likes   #1196
Pentaxian

Let's see...

Your mistake, indeed.

The list of APS-C cameras since they released their first FF DSLR: K-70; KP.
03-29-2021, 02:28 PM - 2 Likes   #1197
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Yeah, it's totally fair to list a whole bunch of cameras that came out before Pentax even came out with the K-1. Since the K-1 came out, they have released the K-1 ii, the KP, and the K-70. Since the K-1 ii came out, they have released nothing. If you watched the video presentations released around CP+, it's clear that they plan to continue the K-1 line in full-frame and the K-3 line in APS-C. I hope they will continue the 645 line, too, but that seems more up in the air.
I don't think fair is part of the game when one is trying to bring their hidden agenda out from under the rock they have been using for cover.
Pentax has generally not released new camera bodies until they have more than a small incremental improvement to replace the present body with, unlike Canon or Sony who will take the same old feculence, change the buttons around a bit, and call it a new camera model.
03-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #1198
Pentaxian

Let's see...

I also don't know what you were thinking?
They slowly develop both formats, some more DFA lenses the last years to make it a competitive system and some DA lenses to round it up (with the *f2.8 WA-zoom). Now they are going to update some older designs like the *DA standard zoom to better fit to the new generation of high resolution sensors and fast AF. The roadmap and preannouncement show a DFA limited wideangle and a fast *FA wideangle, I don't see a preference here.
03-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #1199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't think fair is part of the game when one is trying to bring their hidden agenda out from under the rock they have been using for cover.
Pentax has generally not released new camera bodies until they have more than a small incremental improvement to replace the present body with, unlike Canon or Sony who will take the same old feculence, change the buttons around a bit, and call it a new camera model.
The amount of bodies that Fuji releases is fascinating as well, they average about 4 cameras a year.

---------- Post added 03-29-21 at 02:56 PM ----------

Let's see...

I mean, if you're going to list about 17 cameras from a time period when a smartphone* photo looked like a broken CCTV image...

*Since you say that smartphones are competing with APS-C cameras. That might be true now (okay, it isn't, but let's concede that for the sake of the argument), but it 100% wasn't true when most of the cameras in your list came out.

Last edited by Serkevan; 03-29-2021 at 02:56 PM.
03-29-2021, 03:39 PM   #1200
Pentaxian

I mean, if you're going to list about 17 cameras from a time period when a smartphone* photo looked like a broken CCTV image...

*Since you say that smartphones are competing with APS-C cameras.
Not true.
Smart phones have replaced P&S cameras.
Adjustable cameras are a different story, regardless of the size.
Even a small-sensored camera like the "Q" is a completely different animal.
Closed Thread