Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 12:03 AM   #1231
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
The aperture value is still quite satisfactory.
Oh, you're such a tease!

04-08-2021, 12:32 AM   #1232
Pentaxian

With such a filter size and guaranteed optical quality, what aperture do you think is satisfactory?
04-08-2021, 12:45 AM   #1233
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With such a filter size and guaranteed optical quality, what aperture do you think is satisfactory?
Anywhere between f/2.4 and f/2.8 would be plenty for me. Slower than f/2.8 would be a bit disappointing... Not "I'm never buying this", of course, but still.
04-08-2021, 12:46 AM   #1234
Pentaxian

In best case it would round up the FA/HD limiteds with an aperture around f2 (f1.8-2.2)

04-08-2021, 01:12 AM   #1235
Pentaxian

Is filter size known?

Prototype SMC 20mm F/1.4 had 77mm

Pancake-like voigtlander color skopar 20mm F/3.5 had 52mm.

Last edited by BarneyL; 04-08-2021 at 01:19 AM.
04-08-2021, 01:23 AM   #1236
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Is filter size known?
The consensus of opinion is 67mm, which is the same as the FA*24/2.0 and FA20/2.8

So a maximum aperture somewhere between those two seems reasonable....
04-08-2021, 01:42 AM   #1237
Pentaxian

Interesting! It is getting closer!

04-08-2021, 01:46 AM   #1238
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It might be an expensive few months. I doubt I will able to show any patience when/if the DFA 21/2.x Limited and DA* 16-50/2.8 get a release soon....
04-08-2021, 02:12 AM   #1239
Pentaxian

Spill it, spill it ! 😁😁😁
04-08-2021, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #1240
Pentaxian

For a limited I would prefer optical quality that degrades a bit (in a well controlled and beautiful way!) as you open up to allow faster aperture than very strict * like guarantees would allow. So I'm hoping for f2, with great center sharpness but softish corners that clear up by f4.

In reality I doubt the corners will be as sharp as the recent competition at f4. The lens seems smaller and wont rely as much on software corrections so its a fair trade off.
04-08-2021, 02:46 AM - 3 Likes   #1241
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
In reality I doubt the corners will be as sharp as the recent competition at f4. The lens seems smaller and wont rely as much on software corrections so its a fair trade off.
Frankly, for this type of lens I don't much care , so I very much agree that it's a good trade off... My UWA use seldom requires good corner sharpness, and when it does it's because I'm anyway shooting at f/8 or f/11 because the darned buildings insist on being three-dimensional

The only "but" I could think of, were I a nitpicker, is astro use (I'm guessing coma will be pretty noticeable), but I know I won't be getting an astro-corrected lens here, it's not what it's made for.
04-08-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #1242
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Frankly, for this type of lens I don't much care , so I very much agree that it's a good trade off... My UWA use seldom requires good corner sharpness, and when it does it's because I'm anyway shooting at f/8 or f/11 because the darned buildings insist on being three-dimensional

The only "but" I could think of, were I a nitpicker, is astro use (I'm guessing coma will be pretty noticeable), but I know I won't be getting an astro-corrected lens here, it's not what it's made for.
I think this is a very sensible characterisation of such a lens by house and you.
Wide open some smoothness is allowed at the borders, while the center is sharp already. That allows for even more isolation of central object. Somehow a FF character of the GRIII lens, that amazes me with the rendering, sharp but great bokeh. It is somehow wider than the GR, but it could still work.
While it quickly becomes sharp at the borders with a very even performance at f5.6. That is the character of the 20-40 in the wideangle too, and I like the different possibilities this offers.
04-08-2021, 03:01 AM   #1243
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

I find edges almost more important for UWA's that for tele. Teles naturally pick things out whilst UWA's show it all. Context tend to become the subject. Tree branches or lines in facades etc. reveal aberrations in a very brutal way when you can't hide the faults in bokeh.The aperture range between say f4 and f11 becomes critical, almost no oof blur at f4 already. At f2 or so you get some oof areas and you start "feeling" the lens a bit and aberrations can form part of the image.

F8 is to late to clear up, shutter speeds become to long in quite a lot of conditions.
04-08-2021, 03:17 AM   #1244
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I find edges almost more important for UWA's that for tele. Teles naturally pick things out whilst UWA's show it all. Context tend to become the subject. Tree branches or lines in facades etc. reveal aberrations in a very brutal way when you can't hide the faults in bokeh.The aperture range between say f4 and f11 becomes critical, almost no oof blur at f4 already. At f2 or so you get some oof areas and you start "feeling" the lens a bit and aberrations can form part of the image.

F8 is to late to clear up, shutter speeds become to long in quite a lot of conditions.
Oh, I understand why you'd want to have the corners pick up quickly - it's just that I personally use my M20/4 for only some specific things... close quarters while hiking, interiors, and architecture. In most of those cases the slight blur that comes from being out of focus and the softness can lead the viewer more to the center of the image - I find the effect similar to the human eye's degradation of IQ around the peripheral view.

With the K-1, f/8 is typically alright in any kind of daylight, particularly with an UWA; 0.3" shutter speed is pretty easy to get right consistently, and I don't really mind ISO 1600 or 3200 either. But of course, I rarely shoot moving subjects with the M20...

EDIT: I forgot to add that where I do find edges important is in lenses around standard length... since I tend to use 28-70mm to shoot landscapes.

Last edited by Serkevan; 04-08-2021 at 03:25 AM.
04-08-2021, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #1245
Pentaxian

I would be quite surprised if edges would not be sharp by f4. It is 'star' lenses which has edges sharp from wide open or a bit stopped down. atleast these new DFA* has.

I dont think hat this new FDA limited will be that much of a compromise. Also 9 rounded blades should give nice smoothness(at close distances) even stopped down to f5.6. even if it is wide lens.

@ f 8 it should be edge to edge sharp and all good. My FA 31 is very sharp from 5.6 to 8 and up.
Closed Thread