Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have DFA 15-30, and I bought HD DA 10-17(which is basically just circular FE the way I have been using it) nice fun lens. But if one put it next to 15-30, it is not as good, and most of fun is around 10 mm have it at FF or crop mode. Have to try it more around 14-17 mm in order to make proper judgement. I believe what I’m saying is that I can see the point of it not being most used lens.

Not going to replace my 15-30 with this DFA 21, but it will propably be with me most of times, just as FA 31 is too. When it is raining, 31 goes to bag and something more WR will replace it..now with this DFA limited, that won’t have to happen.

---------- Post added 05-16-20 at 19:50 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Even the heaviest 20mm 2.8 did weight 330g - so it can be sure that the D FA 20mm ED DC WR will weight less than 500g (and less than 400g).
But, this is not 20/2.8, it is 21 and perhaps 2,8. Sure it is limited, So it might be light design. I would not mind if it was lighter that 500g. But it is bigger that FA31 limited, for sure. And that is not ’so’ light. Zeiss(I know this is lighter material and not Zeiss) 21/2.8 is pretty hefty. Who knows..

05-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #212
Pentaxian

If you go on the same dog walk every day,

And you need something just to mix it up a bit

The 10-17 is a great change of pace lens to get something different out of the same thing.
05-16-2020, 10:32 AM - 4 Likes   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you go on the same dog walk every day,

And you need something just to mix it up a bit

The 10-17 is a great change of pace lens to get something different out of the same thing.
I find my black bear shots are getting boring and repetitive. Maybe I'll use my 10-17 next time, change the pace a bit...
05-16-2020, 10:34 AM - 2 Likes   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I find my black bear shots are getting boring and repetitive. Maybe I'll use my 10-17 next time, change the pace a bit...
Just make sure you have a remote enough release and you'll be fine, I'm sure . A couple hundred meters of cable ain't that expensive, then reel the camera in and hope the bear isn't feeling like a fish with a hook...

05-16-2020, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You do know that momma bear is foraging for easy meals don't you?

---------- Post added 05-16-20 at 01:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Just make sure you have a remote enough release and you'll be fine, I'm sure . A couple hundred meters of cable ain't that expensive, then reel the camera in and hope the bear isn't feeling like a fish with a hook...
I don't find the Pentax IR good (and dependable) for more than about 8 feet. It's good for selfies.
05-16-2020, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't find the Pentax IR good (and dependable) for more than about 8 feet. It's good for selfies.
... with the bear ...
05-16-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
... with the bear ...
I wonder how that would work out for you?

05-16-2020, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #218
Veteran Member

The DFA 21 LTD will be a must have for every K-1 user. The fact they are finally moving in this direction is a plus plus.

From the images it does appear it will be ƒ 4. The pictures also show infinity focus is everything beyond 2 feet/1.3 Meters. This nature to UWA lens they could have used a simple screw drive instead of focus motor. Especially if the screw drive where to make the lens smaller and less expensive. As long as this lens has Quickshift focus it doesn't really matter what type of autofocus they use since infinity focus is so short there never really is that much focusing going on.

Now we know what the past lens roadmaps were hinting at for the UWA D FA. There still is the large aperture WA to fill. A great candidate would be a compact DFA 28mm ƒ2 LTD WR. 28mm matches well for APS-C.
05-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
A great candidate would be a compact DFA 28mm ƒ2 LTD WR. 28mm matches well for APS-C.
My understanding is that the large aperture wide angle lens will be a D FA*24mm f1.4 as indicated by Ooku who corrected me when I suggested it be a D FA*35mm f1.4. That would complete the D FA * series trilogy?
05-16-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
(...) There still is the large aperture WA to fill. A great candidate would be a compact DFA 28mm ƒ2 LTD WR. 28mm matches well for APS-C.
The Large Aperture Wide-Angle Single Focus Lens on the roadmap is in orange, therefore a D FA★. I take it it will be f/1.4 like its two brothers.
05-16-2020, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #221
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The Large Aperture Wide-Angle Single Focus Lens on the roadmap is in orange, therefore a D FA★. I take it it will be f/1.4 like its two brothers.
... and BIG.
05-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Maybe 1.400€ and 600g.
Produktvergleich Pentax smc FA 24mm 2.0, Canon EF 24mm 1.4, Nikon AF-S 24mm 1.4, Sigma Art 24mm 1.4, Sony FE 24mm 1.4 heise online

Last edited by angerdan; 05-17-2020 at 05:50 AM.
05-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #223
Veteran Member

Ricoh my money is ready to transfer to you for this jewel lens.
05-16-2020, 04:41 PM - 9 Likes   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
For someone who's "only been shooting properly for a couple of years", there sure is a lot of wisdom in your post.
thanks.

I have been shooting longer, but around 2018 I went from a K-50 to a K-1 and decided to actually 'get better' (to the point of deriving some income from photography). It's where I felt a strong shift from hobby to work, I needed to get better and it meant taking things more seriously and less casual which meant studying. 2018-2020 has seen the greatest improvements in my photography than all the years that came before. I think it's quite possible to stay at a certain comfortable level for years if content, duration in photography does not equate progression, progression is made through consciously taking steps.

Anyway, back to the lens in question.

There's been quite a bit of chit chat about this DFA 21 and the associated word 'landscape' frequently being used. I must be the only one that's thinking landscape use is not the primary intended purpose of this lens
I say this because of these two signs;

1) Built in hood

2) It's part of the first stage of modernising the 'FA Ltd' range, which are not pure 'landscape' lenses, if anything more 'portrait' orientated with fast apertures. It's more about 3D pop and subject isolation (could be a person, could be an object) and we heard the speaker emphasis bokeh in is introductory speech.

Any lens that comes from Pentax and is intended for landscape I think would allow for square filters, or at the very least step up rings and not come with a fixed built in hood. Just like the FA31 is superb for portraits it can also take fantastic landscape shots, but its not meant to be a super hardcore landscape lens.

I own the FA43 and FA77, they are my workhorses for event work. I've been so close to grabbing the FA31 on a number of occasions but a few things have held me back, price being an obvious one as well as FoV. 31mm might seem ample, but for some event work moments it's still not wide enough, such as large group shots, environmental portrait work, even the entire wedding party etc. So I've been using other lenses in the mean time to fill this focal length whilst deciding on really what to get next. Now that the DFA 21 is in the works I am very excited as I think it will fill that gap in my event work line up nicely and really put a nail in the coffin for the FA31. Just to be sure I went over older event work where I have used focal lengths close to 21mm to confirm my needs and requirements and I thought perhaps it's worth sharing a few of these 'non landscape' images that I think the DFA 21 is actually going to be really well suited for. Hopefully it's an even faster lens than these examples and the aperture can be wider than these shots to place even more emphasis on the subjects... we'll see;

K-1+HD DA 20-40 (FF Mode)@23mm/2.8

K-1+DA 12-24 (FF Mode)@21mm/4

K-1+DA 12-24 (FF Mode)@19mm/4

K-1+HD DA 20-40 (FF Mode)@23mm

K-1+HD DA 20-40 (FF Mode)@24mm

I'm very excited for the DFA21, it will most certainly be my next lens purchase.
05-16-2020, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
If we judge by the sheer amount of photos I take with the D-FA 28-105 at 28mm just to end up cropping a wee bit... . I don't get why people wouldn't like 21mm on APS-C either, 28/35mm lenses have always been popular FF wides, 31.5mm equivalent is always going to be a nice length.

I guess that some of the comments meant that for APS-C use, the D-FA 21 won't make as much sense as it would be three times the weight and size (and probably price... ) of the already-excellent DA 21 Limited. That, I can agree with - to a degree.
Also, for APS-C the 20-40mm WR LTD is a thing, and you can buy it for $495.

Closed Thread