Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
You're a hundred year late! That shift happened during the introduction of modernism. Family heirlooms were rejected by the younger generation in favour of tubular steel and mass produced items.
We have some furniture donated to us by just such a person. Brown, hand carved (but still catalogue ) furniture from the 20s. In our case, the person who gave it t us has asked for it back.

Apparently we she was under the impression we were a free storage facility for people with older furniture they din't have room for anymore.

The only problem with it is the beds are too short for modern people. Everyone we know has to sleep kitty corner in them.

Last edited by normhead; 05-19-2020 at 08:25 AM.
05-19-2020, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #332
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
but how many aperture blades? Odd or Even?
The DA 15 and 21 give us an answer for that

I don't think any other lenses come close regarding starbursts.

Both the 15 and 21 have 7 blades.
05-19-2020, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The only problem with it is the beds are too short for modern people. Everyone we know has to sleep kitty corner in them.
Ever seen plate armor for medieval knights? You'd think they had little kiddies fight the wars.
05-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #334
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're a hundred year late! That shift happened during the introduction of modernism. Family heirlooms were rejected by the younger generation in favour of tubular steel and mass produced items.
And fifty years late on cameras and lenses!

05-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #335
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given 21mm FL @ FF ... thoughts on focal lengths and cropping.

How do you get the angles of view of other popular focal lengths?

Crop the capture to get the angles of view of focal lengths ...
  • 24mm: 6440px, 4298px, 27.68 Megapixel
  • 28mm: 5520px, 3684px, 20.34 Megapixel
  • 31mm: 4986px, 3327px, 16.59 Megapixel
  • 35mm: 4416px, 2947px, 13.01 Megapixel

At least until 31mm enough pixels for different use cases I think - remember K-1 APS-C counts 4800 x 3200px.
05-19-2020, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #336
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Given 21mm FL @ FF ... thoughts on focal lengths and cropping.

How do you get the angles of view of other popular focal lengths?

Crop the capture to get the angles of view of focal lengths ...
  • 24mm: 6440px, 4298px, 27.68 Megapixel
  • 28mm: 5520px, 3684px, 20.34 Megapixel
  • 31mm: 4986px, 3327px, 16.59 Megapixel
  • 35mm: 4416px, 2947px, 13.01 Megapixel

At least until 31mm enough pixels for different use cases I think - remember K-1 APS-C counts 4800 x 3200px.
My brain can't do cropping without viewfinder lines. It also really resists the idea of purposefully shooting wide and cropping in post. I need to see the composition before pressing the shutter. I of course crop in post sometimes but that's because I failed at the scene.
05-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I very often know that i will crop in post to get my composition. Maybe a special ratio fits much better than standard 3:2. The viewfinder and/or live view show some leading lines to estimate - it’s not really important that the crop will be a special exact ratio, but of course it can.

Most important is that the subjects of your composition (in your brain!) and their relationships are contained within the 3:2 sensor area. That gives you the room to work at it in post.

While photographing I also often know that I’ll convert a capture to black and white. That’s something similar cause in this case the restriction is that you see in color. So what? May I not create black & white images?!

I need to see the composition before pressing the shutter.
If you believe you can't, you can't. It's that simple, it's in your brain. Challenge yourself and you'll learn - it's about imagination. You can train it.

Another restriction is a fixed focal length. What if you want this special perspective you just see but not that wide in angle? You have to stay where you are because if you move you change perspective. So simply make your image and cut the frame in post. There’s nothing wrong with it. Please don’t let people tell you that it is wrong and makes you a bad photographer!

Why the hell should anyone restrict his perception by the technical equipment he uses or other circumstances?

Cropping is a skill that can happen in the brain while taking the photograph and it can help to get a better image if you discover a stronger composition in post. Please no wrong morality! It's up to the photographer to decide.

Last edited by acoufap; 05-19-2020 at 01:21 PM.
05-19-2020, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now the tubular steel furniture pieces are the heirlooms...

Some of them are quite nice...

And I'm very fond of some of the mid-century modern wooden furniture, though you can have my Poang when you pry me off it...

---------- Post added 05-19-20 at 02:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
(Cough) Olympus. (Cough) Panasonic. (Cough) Fuji. (Cough) Sony.
That's a terrible cough you have there...

I prescribe 21mm of DFA as soon as possible.

Bet that clears you right up

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 05-19-2020 at 02:32 PM. Reason: too many signatures
05-19-2020, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And I'm very fond of some of the mid-century modern wooden furniture, though you can have my Poang when you pry me off it...
Completely off topic - my dog loves her Poang (installed so she won't steal my work chair, which she does anyway).
Particularly to chew on its handles. Very tasty.
05-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That is a good idea, albeit the current list of wide angle lenses will have to be extended. 25mm on 35mm format won't satisfy the ultra-wide fetishists. The widest lens I have ever worked with on 8X10 format is to Goerz Hypergon 75mm which is a rather exotic and rare piece of glass, consider for a moment that 300mm is considered a "normal" on 8X10 format.

ME!
And in medium format the Biogon 38mm which is in 6X6 format not any wider than this 21mm. And that camera is mirror less 😁
05-19-2020, 03:51 PM   #341
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now the tubular steel furniture pieces are the heirlooms...

Some of them are quite nice...

-Eric
My parents were married in 1949 and furnished their entire tract home with matching, mid-century modern blonde colored wooden furniture. Most of the Casual chairs were folding, sort of like Adirondack Chairs. My brother has it all.
05-19-2020, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My parents were married in 1949 and furnished their entire tract home with matching, mid-century modern blonde colored wooden furniture. Most of the Casual chairs were folding, sort of like Adirondack Chairs. My brother has it all.
Mine were married a little after that, so much of their furniture was early 1960s. When they divorced, I got some of it as things moved around...
I got a lot of my grandmother's furniture as well, but she was a child of the depression who always wanted things to be new (old things were for poor people, and she'd had enough of being poor), so I got some of her old stuff when she bought new, but none of the newer stuff was as well built...

My house is 100 years old this year, and I have furniture from nearly every intervening decade... none of it really matches, and it's clear that interior design is not where my focus is...
I do have a set of (probably) 1940s folding wooden chairs that are really cool carved wood with metal brackets to handle the folding. They go with a leather-topped card table that still has cigarette burn holes in the top... remember cigarettes?

Frankly, it's a lot like my cameras... few of them really match, either... come to think of it, I probably have cameras from every intervening decade as well... though my Pentaxes only start in the 1960s...

-Eric
05-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #343
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine were married a little after that, so much of their furniture was early 1960s. When they divorced, I got some of it as things moved around...
I got a lot of my grandmother's furniture as well, but she was a child of the depression who always wanted things to be new (old things were for poor people, and she'd had enough of being poor), so I got some of her old stuff when she bought new, but none of the newer stuff was as well built...

My house is 100 years old this year, and I have furniture from nearly every intervening decade... none of it really matches, and it's clear that interior design is not where my focus is...
I do have a set of (probably) 1940s folding wooden chairs that are really cool carved wood with metal brackets to handle the folding. They go with a leather-topped card table that still has cigarette burn holes in the top... remember cigarettes?

Frankly, it's a lot like my cameras... few of them really match, either... come to think of it, I probably have cameras from every intervening decade as well... though my Pentaxes only start in the 1960s...

-Eric
Eclectic collections - especially things used and not just admired - are the best collections IMO. Things might not match but they go together. I have a single-minded passion for 75-77 Pentax gear because I can buy now what I lusted after then and it still works. But I also have a few earlier and later Asahi and Pentax cameras and lenses and accessories that Eric has renewed, and a few Nikon bodies.

In 1980 we bought a 6,000 sq.ft. 1890’s house (a shoe baron built it) that was practically derelict and over a period of 15 years essentially took it apart and put it back together weekends and holidays. The style and neighborhood came back into fashion in the 90’s so we sold it and bought a regular 50’s house in a much quieter part of town, but the furniture sure did fit in that old mansion It’s all too big for the rooms here.
05-20-2020, 07:30 PM - 4 Likes   #344

This announcement got me so excited. The fact it comes with DC and WR as well is just amazing. I suspect the bigger build of the lens has been due to those implementations too. Either way, I'm loving it! What a time to be alive!
05-20-2020, 08:24 PM - 4 Likes   #345
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Munki Quote
This announcement got me so excited. The fact it comes with DC and WR as well is just amazing. I suspect the bigger build of the lens has been due to those implementations too. Either way, I'm loving it! What a time to be alive!
Best line I've read since March 12th!!
Closed Thread