Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #376
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, as someone who is now a working pro, let me address this genre of "pro/not pro" directly. The decision not to put things like pop up flashes or articulating screens (arguably far more important) on pro models I think has much more to do with lessening bits that can more easily break on a camera. I think one answer to this is the way the K1's screen is weirdly strong but not a flip out screen. On the 645Z, the screen only flips up or slightly down, and I think it's a response to medium format user traditions of looking down into a viewfinder.

For pop up flashes---they have always been a little flimsy, and create another point in the camera that would require sealing. They are also not very powerful or flexible for pro level strobe situations---all pros would work with a flash or strobe unit that is more capable.

So, that's I think a key answer.
Agreed ... my point was for fill-in situations ... not for pro level strobe/studio situations.

My Interfit kit is far superior to an onboard flash ... obviously ... and it's a bit harder to carry in my shoulder camera bag, too.

Also, my K-7, K-5, K-3 and K-30 all had a flash and were weather sealed.

05-21-2020, 09:21 AM - 6 Likes   #377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
F/4 is pure speculation, not something you have any direct knowledge about.
Your Spiratone lens will do well against the new 21mm if the glass is removed from the Pentax lens and replaced by the bottom of a Coke bottle, which is pretty much what the Spiratone lens is.
When you get right down to it, all we need is food, water and a roof over our heads. All of this camera stuff isn't about need.
Hi ... just to set the record straight ... if you reread what I wrote, I never said that I had "any direct knowledge" about this lens.

Nope. And a lot of folks on this forum will agree that I don't know nothing about anything.

I am sure that the new 21/f? will be a great lens. I just like the challenge of not using the latest and greatest.

Plus ... I can have a Coke addiction, too ...

05-21-2020, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #378
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Ever seen plate armor for medieval knights? You'd think they had little kiddies fight the wars.
Those were for kids and that is why they survived, they never went out and got shot with a longbow!
05-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #379
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm sure the Pentax 21mm will be well worth its money (that's not the same as everyone being easily able to afford it).

Those images... we're seeing the photographer being able to compensate for the equipment's shortcomings.
Very much agree. Good photography with crummy equipment...but that can only be done in certain genres. You can't do the professional work I do with crummy equipment, and I'm sure Digitalis' professional work(whose experience and expertise faaaaar exceeds mine) also requires excellent to "the best" equipment.

05-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #380
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah yes the old downsample the image to a thousand pixels and pretend it proves the lens is really sharp trick.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2020 at 01:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm sure the Pentax 21mm will be well worth its money (that's not the same as everyone being easily able to afford it).

Those images... we're seeing the photographer being able to compensate for the equipment's shortcomings.
We are seeing good composition, we are not seeing how good the lens really is. Downsampling for the internet doesn't prove much regarding lens quality.
05-21-2020, 01:00 PM - 4 Likes   #381
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Come on, the images are at least two or three times the resolution of typical web images, the flower ones are at least 3K pixels on the long side. And honestly, the lens resolves plenty of detail, although it also has a certain glow to them that somewhat detracts from the image. And, to me, the images look aesthetically pleasing - more sharpness would do nothing for them.

Last edited by Serkevan; 05-21-2020 at 01:27 PM.
05-21-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Come on, the images are at least two or three times the resolution of typical web images, the flower ones are at least 3K pixels on the long side. And honestly, the lens resolves plenty of detail, although it also has a certain glow to them that somewhat detracts from the image. And, to me, the images look aesthetically pleasing - more sharpness would do nothing for them.
But... but... but... extreme sharpness is the only thing that makes a good photo...

05-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #383
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
But... but... but... extreme sharpness is the only thing that makes a good photo...
Sharpness, contrast, well controlled flare, good geometric distortion control and pleasing bokeh, among other things are what define a good lens.
This is not the same criteria for what makes a good photograph.
Too many people make this false comparison when trying to make a point about how good a substandard lens is.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 05-21-2020 at 04:01 PM.
05-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As Ricoh moves forward refreshing and expanding the Pentax lens lineup I suspect many legacy lenses I have long used and treasured stand to be replaced or retired. A20/2.8 might be one of those by the end of 2021.

Alternatively some lenses I have long coveted might be released from others’ cabinets, such as the A*85/1.4 or even A*135/1.8.

Decisions, decisions.
05-21-2020, 02:50 PM - 6 Likes   #385
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
No, it's not.
Go back a few years (before the K-1 was released) and read the "I want a FF NOW and if I don't get it I'm leaving Pentax" threads.
Extreme sharpness AND razor thin DOF are the two required elements for a good photo.
05-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #386
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As Ricoh moves forward refreshing and expanding the Pentax lens lineup I suspect many legacy lenses I have long used and treasured stand to be replaced or retired. A20/2.8 might be one of those by the end of 2021.

Alternatively some lenses I have long coveted might be released from others’ cabinets, such as the A*85/1.4 or even A*135/1.8.

Decisions, decisions.
I will have a very hard time letting my A*85/1.4 go no matter how nice the new lens is.
05-21-2020, 04:04 PM - 3 Likes   #387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Upon first glance the Goerz hypergon has discombobulated many photographers
Increment the count again, I am amazed at the ingenuity required to produce such a device.

Back to the original topic, I don't know if many people appreciate what the lens developing team at Ricoh are doing here. To persist in bringing to market a lens like the D FA 21 Ltd in the current environment, when the only safe strategy is to produce larger, more corrected and faster lenses, is amazing to me. Especially when it has been so hard to bring new products to market for the past three years.
05-21-2020, 04:17 PM   #388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I will have a very hard time letting my A*85/1.4 go no matter how nice the new lens is.
There’s a tempting one with hood in the Marketplace but it’s in New Zealand. A*135/1.8 too.

There’s no price lever versus new lenses though.
05-21-2020, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #389
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW..... I only think it is basic common sense that many of us are quite satisfied with our existing 20mm'ish lenses (be they M20's, K20's, DA15's, Voitlanders or others). No doubt, some of us are going to love the new 21 conceptually, but realistically weigh up the cost and size versus possible benefits.... then there is the $$$.

In my case, once below 28mm or so (so the 31 in my case).... I can't think of a time when I've needed a super resoloution largish print with sharpness in the edges of the frame.... nor will this type of lens just be a "have it in a pocket" in case I need it type of lens.... to big for that. If I get it it will just be another semi silly'ish hobby purchase.
05-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
FWIW..... I only think it is basic common sense that many of us are quite satisfied with our existing 20mm'ish lenses (be they M20's, K20's, DA15's, Voitlanders or others). No doubt, some of us are going to love the new 21 conceptually, but realistically weigh up the cost and size versus possible benefits.... then there is the $$$.

In my case, once below 28mm or so (so the 31 in my case).... I can't think of a time when I've needed a super resolution largish print with sharpness in the edges of the frame.... nor will this type of lens just be a "have it in a pocket" in case I need it type of lens.... to big for that. If I get it it will just be another semi silly'ish hobby purchase.

This is basically where I'm at with this lens. I'd love to have it so that I have the complete FA Limited "set", but back in the real world when I put my "sensible accountant" hat on, I don't really need it when I have the 21mm, even though I love WA lenses. And the final cost might end up making the decision for me anyway.
Closed Thread