Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #391
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
FWIW..... I only think it is basic common sense that many of us are quite satisfied with our existing 20mm'ish lenses (be they M20's, K20's, DA15's, Voitlanders or others). No doubt, some of us are going to love the new 21 conceptually, but realistically weigh up the cost and size versus possible benefits.... then there is the $$$.

In my case, once below 28mm or so (so the 31 in my case).... I can't think of a time when I've needed a super resoloution largish print with sharpness in the edges of the frame.... nor will this type of lens just be a "have it in a pocket" in case I need it type of lens.... to big for that. If I get it it will just be another semi silly'ish hobby purchase.
I went to alps(France) with my wife couple yrs. Ago. And by then I had my tokina pro 20-35/2.8 as my only FF wide option. (Did not consider my samyang 14/2.8 as an option because of it’s pronounced moustash distortion). I’m looking at those photos I took at the mountains and time to time I wished I had better performing lens to match my K-1 at 20 mm. Now I have DFA 15-30, just because of that trip. And this lens has not let me down. However, wide high quality prime would(will) be still appreciated. And at 21 mm, which I think is kind a sweet spot for UWA. I have DFA 15-30 for wider stuff and just to be sure, HD DA 10-17 for even wider stuff, when edge-edge performance does not matter so much.

05-22-2020, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
FWIW..... I only think it is basic common sense that many of us are quite satisfied with our existing 20mm'ish lenses (be they M20's, K20's, DA15's, Voitlanders or others). No doubt, some of us are going to love the new 21 conceptually, but realistically weigh up the cost and size versus possible benefits.... then there is the $$$.

In my case, once below 28mm or so (so the 31 in my case).... I can't think of a time when I've needed a super resoloution largish print with sharpness in the edges of the frame.... nor will this type of lens just be a "have it in a pocket" in case I need it type of lens.... to big for that. If I get it it will just be another semi silly'ish hobby purchase.
They don't make lenses for those already happy with with, and unwilling to upgrade from what already exists; particularly if designs from the '70s is good enough.
OTOH... I have no ultra wide-angle prime - and I skipped getting the 15-30 because of its size and weight. Getting the new 21mm when it will be available is basic common sense, for me.
05-22-2020, 12:33 AM   #393
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
They don't make lenses for those already happy with with, and unwilling to upgrade from what already exists; particularly if designs from the '70s is good enough.
OTOH... I have no ultra wide-angle prime - and I skipped getting the 15-30 because of its size and weight. Getting the new 21mm when it will be available is basic common sense, for me.
Hopefully lots of people like you will get benefit from the lens and enjoy it.
05-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
AOL! And I'll add the FA31 when I feel that I can afford it. With the M50/1.7 (maybe someday replaced by the FA43?) and the DA70, I'll then have a very compact and lightweight prime-only option for my K-1.

05-22-2020, 01:23 AM   #395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For city photography I tipically go with a 2-prime setup (M20/4 and FA77) so the DFA21 would be an interesting option to sub the M20 (albeit larger than the literal pocket devils the other two are, which fit perfectly in almost all of my jackets). Day hikes, WR would come in handy for a two/three lens setup of 21/28-105/(70-210)...
05-22-2020, 02:36 AM - 4 Likes   #396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hi ... just to set the record straight ... if you reread what I wrote, I never said that I had "any direct knowledge" about this lens.

Nope. And a lot of folks on this forum will agree that I don't know nothing about anything.

I am sure that the new 21/f? will be a great lens. I just like the challenge of not using the latest and greatest.

Plus ... I can have a Coke addiction, too ...

You're a good photographer and make great photos with older lenses. It may be that this isn't the right lens for you.

To me, what makes Pentax primes shine is a combination of colors, micro contrast and flare control that I don't see with the off brand lenses I have used. This particularly seems to be true in high contrast situations like sunrises. The DA 15 limited is not the sharpest lens by any means, but it does have great flare control and micro contrast that still make it enjoyable to use. Hopefully this lens has those features and has good full frame edge sharpness as well.
05-22-2020, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
AOL! And I'll add the FA31 when I feel that I can afford it. With the M50/1.7 (maybe someday replaced by the FA43?) and the DA70, I'll then have a very compact and lightweight prime-only option for my K-1.
FA31 is the legend, best out of that trio of FA limiteds with FA77 right next to it. 31 is a must have gem

05-22-2020, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I am amazed at the ingenuity required to produce such a device.
And consider this:The Hypergons made in the 1910s have never been replicated or exceeded, despite there being a growing niche for large format wide angle lenses over the century.
05-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And consider this:The Hypergons made in the 1910s have never been replicated or exceeded, despite there being a growing niche for large format wide angle lenses over the century.
Darn it, there's another lens I need to buy some day.

They must be rare, hard to find images from them? (I love large format stuff, saving my pennies to get an 8x10 some day.)
05-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You're a good photographer and make great photos with older lenses. It may be that this isn't the right lens for you.

To me, what makes Pentax primes shine is a combination of colors, micro contrast and flare control that I don't see with the off brand lenses I have used. This particularly seems to be true in high contrast situations like sunrises. The DA 15 limited is not the sharpest lens by any means, but it does have great flare control and micro contrast that still make it enjoyable to use. Hopefully this lens has those features and has good full frame edge sharpness as well.
Thanks a lot for the compliment ... I appreciate it coming from you.

Again, I am sure that the new 21mm will be very nice, but I have to call* a big "BS" on this one.

How can anyone announce that they are developing a top-shelf UWA lens without giving the maximum aperture ?!

That is crucial. How can I even begin to evaluate if this UWA would be right for me ?

Please do not get me wrong, I love my Pentax gear and many of you know that I have a ton that I use and actually post images with here on PF.

I want Pentax to succeed, but no indication of the maximum aperture for this 21mm is unacceptable IMHO.

Enough said and let the stone throwing begin ...

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-23-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: * eye canot prove reed mysealf
05-23-2020, 02:38 AM   #401
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Again, I am sure that the new 21mm will be very nice, but I have to a big "BS" on this one.

How can anyone announce that they are developing a top-shelf UWA lens without giving the maximum aperture ?!

That is crucial. How can I even begin to evaluate if this UWA would be right for me ?

Please do not get me wrong, I love my Pentax gear and many of you know that I have a ton that I use and actually post images with here on PF.

I want Pentax to succeed, but no indication of the maximum aperture for this 21mm is unacceptable IMHO.

They don't usually give specifics at this stage. The lens is still a year away from release. But I don't think that's as big a deal as the pricing, which of course will be known sometime down the road too.

I guess I'm looking at this from a landscape shooters standpoint and max aperture isn't that important to me. f2.8 or f4 would be fine, as long as the other things I mentioned are OK. The thing is the pricing on an f2.8 or f4 lens will be quite a bit less than on an f2 lens.
05-23-2020, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
They don't usually give specifics at this stage. The lens is still a year away from release. But I don't think that's as big a deal as the pricing, which of course will be known sometime down the road too.

I guess I'm looking at this from a landscape shooters standpoint and max aperture isn't that important to me. f2.8 or f4 would be fine, as long as the other things I mentioned are OK. The thing is the pricing on an f2.8 or f4 lens will be quite a bit less than on an f2 lens.
I do think that they are saving that info for matching FF flagship. This limited looks like 100 anniversary product to me which got delayed by a lot of other things. I’m looking at K-new and updated lens lineup they want at it’s launch. (DA* zooms 16-50&50-135). A lot has been going on. And still is. Now rumour of new FF has been around by quite accurate members posting at here. Not sure if it is going to happen, or let’s say when.

Have to hone up my business and sell most of my old lenses to be ready for 2021...
05-23-2020, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #403
Pentaxian

Again, I am sure that the new 21mm will be very nice, but I have to a big "BS" on this one.

You called it "a big "BS"" yourself.

How could they do that? Easily: the same way they previously referred to it as an "ultra wide-angle single focus lens" (before which it was known as a "large aperture ultra wide-angle single focus lens", so there was a requirement change). The same way they first published incomplete specs for every single lens on the roadmap.
The 21mm is expected next year. I would like to know everything about it, but knowing that will have to suffice.

Being so unreasonably unforgiving conflicts with wanting Pentax to succeed, by the way.
05-23-2020, 03:02 AM   #404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I do think that they are saving that info for matching FF flagship. This limited looks like 100 anniversary product to me which got delayed by a lot of other things. I’m looking at K-new and updated lens lineup they want at it’s launch. (DA* zooms 16-50&50-135). A lot has been going on. And still is. Now rumour of new FF has been around by quite accurate members posting at here. Not sure if it is going to happen, or let’s say when.

Have to hone up my business and sell most of my old lenses to be ready for 2021...
Sure. This isn't an announcement as such, it is updating the lens map with some details, more of which will come later. We knew for a long time that there was an 85mm lens coming, but they didn't tell us for certain that it was an f1.4 lens till they showed the mock up.
05-23-2020, 03:24 AM   #405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
In defense of the "no-onboard-flash" thing: unfortunately there is a decision to be made between GPS and flash (because the GPS cannot be housed anywhere else). A camera with on-board flash cannot really use it while adding a hot-shoe GPS, but the opposite is trivial. And while I *personally* would find a pop-up flash handy more often on my K-1, I understand that for all the field cameras (K-1 for landscape and K-New for action/wildlife) a GPS unit is a better compromise: some people want to know *where* exactly that bird was, or to shoot with the astrotracer without lugging around extra stuff.
That makes good sense - I'd also add that if you're someone like me, having the location of your landscape/travel shot come up on Flickr, for example (or LR, for that matter) is very useful - particularly if you've forgotten exactly where you took the picture
Closed Thread