Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #436
bxf
Veteran Member

Jumping back a few posts, I fail to see how not being told the lens speed constitutes BS. I can understand a bit of disappointment at the absence of this piece of information, but JP, you have translated it into much too much negativity. You make it sound as if the lens itself is garbage just because they did not tell us the max aperture. What if it turns out to be a surprisingly fast lens? Is it still BS?

05-23-2020, 11:33 PM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Jumping back a few posts, I fail to see how not being told the lens speed constitutes BS. I can understand a bit of disappointment at the absence of this piece of information, but JP, you have translated it into much too much negativity. You make it sound as if the lens itself is garbage just because they did not tell us the max aperture. What if it turns out to be a surprisingly fast lens? Is it still BS?
Hi ... as you note, I may have been a bit too harsh here, but the maximum aperture is a critical piece of information IMHO. That's all.

Sorry if you think that I am trashing the lens. That was never my intention. Like I wrote previously, I hope that the 21 will great with an aperture well below f/2.8. And like I wrote as well, I hope more than most that Pentax hits one out of the ballpark with this lens, a major grand slam over the deep center field fence.

If this 21mm f/??? shows up as a fast aperture lens, then it will climb to the top of the "short list" of my planned acquisitions ... I adore my 77 and would like to test out the 43 some day. The 31 does not interest me that much because it's not very wide for me ... thus, my hopes for a fantastic (and fast) 21 Limited.
05-23-2020, 11:47 PM - 2 Likes   #438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
You've all got it wrong, if you wanted extreme sharpness and a sliver of DOF you should have picked up the 645 25mm and paired it with the 645Z
Jean is more than capable of pulling remarkable images from lenses that would not be highly regarded, have seen it myself in the Single's-in challenges over the years and while BS might be strong, it is a valid complaint, on the opposite side, it does give some here reason to bicker for the next 9 months or so. Noel also made a good point, there are K's, M's and A's capable of filling the gap but I suspect more work needed. Interweb current photography fashion is sharp, sharp, sharp and to hell with everything else but they lack that 'je ne sais pas' which can't be measured. It's wrong but the masses have bought in. I'm getting the 21 Limited, don't care about the price, don't care about the specs which might sound foolish to some but I have faith in the designers that they will give me something more modern but with the classic non sterile rendering which brought us all here in the first place. Plus it's a new lens and we all like new lens if it is in the right class.
"Bonjour" ... thanks a lot for the compliment and as I just wrote above, maybe I am too demanding when it concerns the information (or lack thereof) that Pentax emits.

For those interested here's a link to my Flickr album for the Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 17mm f/3.5. I shot it in February 2017 for the Single's Challenge thread - a thread that I need to get back into again.

Tamron SP 17/3.5 Adaptall-2 | Flickr

I really like UWA's and here are a few images with this 17/3.5 ... and I shot a B&W theme that month as well.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 05-24-2020 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typoo + added info
05-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #439
Pentaxian

Very nice shots, once as said by BruceBanner you don't need fast aperture.

---------- Post added 24-05-20 at 00:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice shot!

I would guess the strengths of this lens lie in it's presumably fast aperture, that coupled with its fixed hood may make it somewhat a bad purchase for someone looking for straight up landscape use. The high price tag will be due to the fast aperture, and for landscape use this might not be a feature worth paying for. If f5.6-8 is your go to for landscape shots, and you enjoy filter use, then really this DFA 21 is starting to lose its appeal, forcing it to be something its not intended for per se. It's a little like buying a DFA 50 and shooting it always at f8. Sure it's a nice lens, but it's price tag is really slapped on so high for the performance at it's widest aperture, getting glass to being pretty decent for CA and edge sharpness at 1.4 is difficult.
Thank you.
Well, i still can fix round filters on the 31 Ltd, and hope this will also be the case with 21 Ltd.

05-24-2020, 12:22 AM   #440
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hi ... as you note, I may have been a bit too harsh here, but the maximum aperture is a critical piece of information IMHO. That's all.
I doubt that the aperture is finally determined yet. I think that some of Pentax's weird apertures, especially on Limiteds, arose from extensive late testing and value judgements of how far they could be opened up without sacrificing quality. They are not announcing aperture to give themselves some wiggle room.
05-24-2020, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #441
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Very nice shots, once as said by BruceBanner you don't need fast aperture.

---------- Post added 24-05-20 at 00:16 ----------

Thank you.
Well, i still can fix round filters on the 31 Ltd, and hope this will also be the case with 21 Ltd.
I'm guessing with a round filter we're still getting some loss of the image due to vignetting? At least I seem to encounter this issue more with WA/UWA than I do with tele...
05-24-2020, 01:24 AM - 7 Likes   #442
Pentaxian

For those of you curious of other possible UWA lens options while awaiting the release of the new 21mm ... here's a few images using an old Sigma 21-35/3.5-4 zoom in PK. All with the K-1 and the lens parked at 21mm ... the interior auto museum image was probably shot wide open since the ISO is @ 200 and the shutter speed is @ 1/25 ... also probably @ MFD.

Hopefully this will give some an idea of 21mm perspective on FF ...

05-24-2020, 02:03 AM - 2 Likes   #443
Pentaxian

It is? Right at this moment? Really? You're not asked to buy the lens without knowing the aperture. You're not asked to use it without knowing the aperture.
05-24-2020, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It is? Right at this moment? Really? You're not asked to buy the lens without knowing the aperture. You're not asked to use it without knowing the aperture.
Go away ...
05-24-2020, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lol... well aperture can be important. Me, can't afford FA31 and a DFA 21, if aperture is poor on DFA 21, then maybe stop saving pennies and waiting for DFA 21 and just get the FA31 (or a 15-30). If DFA has attractive aperture, hold off on purchases and save those pennies =D
05-24-2020, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
With the amount of money these things cost, knowing whether the aperture will be suitable for what you want might influence your planning of purchases.
05-24-2020, 02:57 AM   #447
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever the max aperture is, its obvious that it is not a (very) fast lens....
05-24-2020, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #448
Pentaxian

Go away ...
I'd rather stay.
And I'm fine with you staying too - this forum is large enough for us both.
05-24-2020, 03:10 AM   #449
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
lol... well aperture can be important. Me, can't afford FA31 and a DFA 21, if aperture is poor on DFA 21, then maybe stop saving pennies and waiting for DFA 21 and just get the FA31 (or a 15-30). If DFA has attractive aperture, hold off on purchases and save those pennies =D
The forum iirc went a bit crazy about 10 years ago hunting down Vivitar 28s as a cheaper option to the 31. There were a few variants made by Komine or Cosina that got pretty close
Check out some threads by a user @rparmar - he had over 15 Vivitar 28s with different optical designs.
While waiting for the elusive Pentax 24/2 or even the 24/2.8 I opted to go with the Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8. Test wise it is regarded as the runt of the Zeiss litter but it has multiple personalities, for std landscape work use >f/8 but it's real secret lies in close up and wider than /f4 - Prices do seem to have gone a bit crazy for the ZK version but you might be able to pick up a Contax version and convert using a Leitax mount.

S!
Robbie
05-24-2020, 03:16 AM   #450
Pentaxian

Another thing what is clear, is that it is brand new Limited. Based on thise markings it is faster than f4. Is that it enough? I suppose one should seek for faster UWA then. Highly doubt that it is going to be faster than f2.4 would it matter, if it had 9 blades, close focus and good sharpness wide open. That would give pleasing bokeh With FF camera no matter what. For super smooth bokeh there is coming a lot faster WA (roadmap) with edge to edge performance matched with the best of. Just like DFA* 50 and what we have seen from early examples of 85. I can’t really see any problem at here. Size and good/great performance and now WR is what make me lusty after this baby. If it would be boring, normal lens, I’d not bother.
Closed Thread