Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2020, 06:35 AM - 6 Likes   #466
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I'm in favour of shutting down the thread, at least until the heat wears off.
So am I.

ENOUGH!

closed

We'll consider re-opening this in a day or so.

The forums lately have become far more confrontational and less civil than we (the moderators) are willing to tolerate and these schoolyard testosterone spitting slap fests are going to stop.

Last edited by Parallax; 05-24-2020 at 11:39 AM.
05-25-2020, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #467
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay, it's back open.

Play nice.
05-25-2020, 06:19 AM - 3 Likes   #468
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The mods are clearly stressed, everyone play extra nice, even if it kills you.
05-25-2020, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The mods are clearly stressed, everyone play extra nice, even if it kills you.
I think the worldwide quarantine is getting to everyone . But a "stop, go to your corner" moment here was definitely needed.

05-25-2020, 07:13 AM - 10 Likes   #470
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for re-opening this thread.

Mea culpa ...

⇒ First, I apologize to anyone that thought I was getting on my "high horse" about what I have done in life other than photography. That was probably quite out of place here and I will try to better in the future. Promise.

⇒ Second, if I offended anyone by my rather harsh criticism for lack of information concerning this 21mm, then I regret that, too.

⇒ Third, if anyone wants more UWA image samples (just to get an idea of what's out there and what its perspective looks like), then give me a green light. I have some SMC M 20/4 images that can be posted.

Cheers, J
05-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #471
Loyal Site Supporter

So, anyway, let's talk about the lens again

Based on the video, clearly the designers are aiming for something rather different. Since I have the 15-30, not sure I want anything bigger than what has been shown. I had the FA 20, which was great size-wise, but I wasn't completely satisfied with it in terms of performance---I think that was borne out by someone who tested several versions of legacy lenses.. I also had an Irix Blackstone 15 which I did like, but it stretched the scene just a bit too much for my use-case, and now I have the 15-30---which is quite sharp I've (and others) have found. So, this 21 might be a Goldilocks lens if it controls distortion well. And I would rather it be slower with better distortion/corners characteristics than faster with only a portion truly sharp, although it wouldn't have to be clinically so---there's other ways for a lens to draw that are acceptable, I think we all agree. What I can forgive more is field curvature, which I'm happy to stop down for to reduce.
05-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the video I got the impression that they want something like a portrait-oriented UWA. It's a very intriguing concept; the M20/4 for all its goodness doesn't really work for that because even at f/4 the subject separation isn't out of this world (I can't speak for anything else because I don't have any other UWA ).

If they somehow manage to make enough field curvature wide open to really melt the backgrounds away at close focus (while keeping it at a point where f/8 gets you a nice sharp landscape when focused at hyperfocal) then it's going in the bag, I'll start saving yesterday.

---------- Post added 05-25-20 at 07:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote

⇒ Third, if anyone wants more UWA image samples (just to get an idea of what's out there and what its perspective looks like), then give me a green light. I have some SMC M 20/4 images that can be posted.

Cheers, J
I'm also in for adding samples of similar perspectives, but I have either 25 mm-equivalent of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 on the K-7 (so not quite UWA) or a bunch of M20/4 shots.

05-25-2020, 07:49 AM - 3 Likes   #473
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks for re-opening this thread.

Mea culpa ...

⇒ First, I apologize to anyone that thought I was getting on my "high horse" about what I have done in life other than photography. That was probably quite out of place here and I will try to better in the future. Promise.

⇒ Second, if I offended anyone by my rather harsh criticism for lack of information concerning this 21mm, then I regret that, too.

Cheers, J
And I apologize for overreacting instead of finding a way for a friendlier resolution of our small conflict of opinion.
I definitely understand your impatience about knowing more, as I feel the same. The lens is on my shopping list, and I liked what we found out so far (21mm instead of - say - 24-ish, DC motor, WR). I feel very enthusiastic about it.
And by the way, I liked the pictures you posted.
05-25-2020, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #474
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, it's back open.

Play nice.
Thank you for re-opening this thread.

Could you please resurrect the one named 'HD Pentax-D FA★ 85mm f/1.4 SDM AW', which suddenly disappeared a few hours ago? Thank you in advance.
05-25-2020, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #475
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The UK Amazon page, linked elsewhere, also disappeared. Can there be a connection? Funny if there is.
05-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #476
Pentaxian

Pentaxrumors still has all the leaked info.
05-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
From the video I got the impression that they want something like a portrait-oriented UWA. It's a very intriguing concept; the M20/4 for all its goodness doesn't really work for that because even at f/4 the subject separation isn't out of this world (I can't speak for anything else because I don't have any other UWA ).

If they somehow manage to make enough field curvature wide open to really melt the backgrounds away at close focus (while keeping it at a point where f/8 gets you a nice sharp landscape when focused at hyperfocal) then it's going in the bag, I'll start saving yesterday.
The DA15 was / is pretty good as close up group portrait shots and selfies. Perhaps that's what they want to improve on for the 21?

The attributes you list above are basically a wider Zeiss 25/2.8, close focus with nice bokeh at wider than f/4 and stonking landscape stuff at infinity @f/8-11
Won't test well but images that touch your emotions nonetheless.
05-25-2020, 09:07 AM   #478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Won't test well but images that touch your emotions nonetheless.
And isn't that the point of it all?
I haven't had the pleasure of using the DA 15 - although before the K-1 stepped in it was top 1 of the "I should get this" list
05-25-2020, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #479
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And isn't that the point of it all?
I haven't had the pleasure of using the DA 15 - although before the K-1 stepped in it was top 1 of the "I should get this" list
It is but the Internet is driven by morons who need higher numbers everywhere. The most vociferous seem to congregate at DPR. I think their dream camera / lens combo would be an AI driven vari focal zoom macro mounted on a drone with full video It would operate 24hrs a day and submit sample images at a predefined rate for the 'photographer' to choose and upload as their own.

The DA15 is a cool little lens, great colours and rendition. Only real annoyance is the screw on lens cap.
05-25-2020, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #480
Pentaxian

I'm actually quite happy with the information we've been provided about this lens. After all, they could've just said "We're working ob this new lens, and ... it's a limited." and let it be with that. Just show some pics of it without revealing the focal length or anything. I'm sure it would cause some serious buzz and people would go crazy speculating on focal length and aperture and coatings and focus method and, and ...

Come to think of it, I feel they've revealed too much already. Now there's only one mystery left (except how it will perform): What aperture?
Closed Thread