Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 10:33 PM   #646
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But then there is no complaining about the lens being too slow or why didn’t they make it smaller with a smaller aperture. If it is a Limited series lens, then we should expect both an outstanding and a unique lens.

11-17-2020, 10:54 PM - 3 Likes   #647
Pentaxian

If this doesn't have an aperture ring and a max aperture of .95 pentax is absolutely doomed.
11-18-2020, 02:30 AM   #648
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
LOL
It is doomed anyway.
11-18-2020, 03:39 AM   #649
Veteran Member

Considering that the FA 24 isn't that big and has a 2.0 max aperture I think the new Ltd should be faster than 2.8 for sure. It just doesn't seem to make sense to talk about bokeh and smooth out of focus roll-off otherwise

11-18-2020, 04:04 AM   #650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Considering that the FA 24 isn't that big and has a 2.0 max aperture I think the new Ltd should be faster than 2.8 for sure. It just doesn't seem to make sense to talk about bokeh and smooth out of focus roll-off otherwise
I don’t think that works like it used to...
The FA 50mm f1.4 has a 49mm filter and is compact.
The DFA 50mm f1.4 has a 77mm filter and is somewhat less compact, inline with modern trends.

I’d expect a Limited to run a bit contrary to convention, and smooth bokeh is about more than shallow depth of field.
But I don’t think they are going to make something small and fast because it won’t be good enough.
I expect they’ll take a hit on maximum aperture to keep the results awesome.

-Eric
11-18-2020, 04:19 AM - 2 Likes   #651
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would guess something in the f2.4 to f2.8 range.

Honestly, I think it is fine to have a little slower aperture. I am hoping this will be a DA 15 limited for full frame and will end up being more for landscapes with excellent contrast, good flare resistance, and tight construction. The DA 15 is not great, even at f4 and I shoot mine mainly at f8. This lens should be better than that, but I don't need an f2 aperture on this sort of a wide angle.
11-18-2020, 04:25 AM   #652
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

Honestly, I think it is fine to have a little slower aperture. I am hoping this will be a DA 15 limited for full frame and will end up being more for landscapes with excellent contrast, good flare resistance, and tight construction. The DA 15 is not great, even at f4 and I shoot mine mainly at f8. This lens should be better than that, but I don't need an f2 aperture on this sort of a wide angle.
Yes. F:2.4 must be maximum. The closest thing to this we have is the FA 20/2.8; quite large front element. Now this new Limited will be built to modern standards something that does not exactly gives smaller lenses.....

11-18-2020, 04:26 AM   #653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

My personal guess is also around f/2.4 - f/2 is probably not doable with such a relatively small package, and f/2.8 feels too... "normal" for a Limited.

---------- Post added 11-18-20 at 04:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If this doesn't have an aperture ring and a max aperture of .95 pentax is absolutely doomed.
Even Chinese manual focus lenses are f/0.95 by default nowadays. If Zeiss made an f/0.7 lens Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/0.7 - Wikipedia then Pentax has to get on with the times and make something on that ballpark. Nothing else, nothing, will do.

---------- Post added 11-18-20 at 04:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Yes. F:2.4 must be maximum. The closest thing to this we have is the FA 20/2.8; quite large front element. Now this new Limited will be built to modern standards something that does not exactly gives smaller lenses.....
From what little we have seen of the lens it doesn't feel to me like the FA has a larger front element. As I replied to Rondec I also don't think the lens is gonna be super fast, but I somehow get the feeling they will try to make it a bit faster than f/2.8 - maybe they are going for a smoother, less-than-sharp rendering wide open that transitions to sharp landscape lens as you close the aperture? Similar to some of those old lenses that are dreamy at maximum aperture.
11-18-2020, 05:16 AM   #654
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Modern standards, yes.
But this is a limited, not a *. Rendering will come before extreme optical corrections.
I'd say somewhere between modern * lenses and older limited.
11-18-2020, 05:16 AM - 7 Likes   #655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Even Chinese manual focus lenses are f/0.95 by default nowadays. If Zeiss made an f/0.7 lens Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/0.7 - Wikipedia then Pentax has to get on with the times and make something on that ballpark. Nothing else, nothing, will do.
I'm expecting them to use the magic brightening glass from the K-3iii's prism to make an f/0 lens. Hopefully a weather-sealed pancake. With a DC motor. In silver. Real silver. $199.
11-18-2020, 05:24 AM - 3 Likes   #656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm expecting them to use the magic brightening glass from the K-3iii's prism to make an f/0 lens. Hopefully a weather-sealed pancake. With a DC motor. In silver. Real silver. $199.
F/0? Ah, the good old black hole lens. Incredible light gathering ability!
11-18-2020, 06:19 AM   #657
bvg
Veteran Member

Oh, it's ideal for V-blogging!
11-18-2020, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #658
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I agree that it's indicative of "stupid marketing" not to inform the user base what the aperture range will be at this point.
Pentax has never been known for their stellar marketing. Letting the products speak for themselves and trusting the users isn't quite enough
11-18-2020, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
F/0? Ah, the good old black hole lens. Incredible light gathering ability!
If light can escape from your lens you're not trying hard enough.
11-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
A modern lens with aperture ring might sell very well simply because of all of us with K-30 or K50 bodies that cannot control the aperture
{I hear another conspiracy theory brewing}.
Closed Thread