Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2021, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #1081
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Paul

Having had 3 owners in the not so distant past , each owner changed its mind on what they wanted to produce first, and the FF tele slipped the list.

Dave
I would have reckoned that a FF TC would have been near the top of the list once the K1 was released. A lot of value-adding with not too much effort.

03-25-2021, 05:00 AM   #1082
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I set my D-FA 15-30 at 21mm and pretend it's the D-FA 21 limited, have my pictures placebo-ed.
Even better: I set my DA16-45 to 21mm and get vignetted images that are immediately instagrammable!

(Actually, the DA16-45 i surprisingly usable on full frame despite the (fixable!) vignetting)
03-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #1083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And if we crop 18mm shots to 6309 x 4210px (26.56 MegaPixels) that we made using a K-1 / DA*11-18 combo in FF mode, we also get the angle of view of the DFA 21mm and pixel-dimensons similar the new K3 III sensor's.
03-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #1084
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I would have reckoned that a FF TC would have been near the top of the list once the K1 was released. A lot of value-adding with not too much effort.
Yes Paul but neither you or I work at Ricohs product planning office.

03-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #1085
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But when Pentax goes for spectacular optics, people are complaining that the lens is too large and expensive
People will complain about everything. The more we have, the less happy we are.

---------- Post added Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Thanks.

So, it's now 10+ months since this thread was started, and no additional information yet ... nothing and no lens on the sales self in the near future ... this is really sad.
Unless you've been living under a rock for the past year, you know that manufacturers have been facing significant challenges over the past year.

---------- Post added Mar 25th, 2021 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Well, that is how companies are managed (by bean counters). Financial report bottom line overrule all, which can have weird effects in the real world. And it's not only Pentax, also other camera brands can be affected, such as customers who order a new camera or lenses (not my case) and deliveries take months (cause: some folks decided to have zero stock).
When I bought my A15/3.5 in 2008 or so, I was told it would be delayed while they built it for me. Consequently, I waited something like 4 months for it.
They didn't even put the little brass plate on it that I asked for that said "Custom Built for Wheatfield".
03-25-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #1086
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They didn't even put the little brass plate on it that I asked for that said "Custom Built for Wheatfield".
Some time back I came into possession of a vintage toolbox made by Gerstner. After owning it for some 35 years I recently had time to sort and clean the contents and tool chest. I was surprised and a little awed to find a small brass plaque afixed to the inside of the lid that said "Made for H M Cessna". A little research found there was indeed an H M Cessna that lived in the town I bought the tool box from and he had passed away a year before I bought it at an antique show there. Further research found that the Gerstner company is still in business and still makes that model of tool chest.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the missing plaque on your lens but it struck me that at one time it was not unusual for something to be made to order and even customized to the purchaser. I wonder if you emailed Ricoh if they would get you a name plate for your lens..............

Sorry for the random mental drift. Please return to the regular programming now.
03-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #1087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sorry for the random mental drift.
And yet, your story about Gerstner is somewhat relevant. Not having heard of the company, I looked them up online. Wow -- those are beautiful and functional tool chests. Theirs is a niche product line, and the company has been in business for 115 years. Reminds of a certain camera maker we know.

- Craig

03-25-2021, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #1088
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Reminds of a certain camera maker we know.
+1

My chest was made in the late 40's early 50's according to information on their website. It has some scuffs here and there but other than that the drawers, lid and totes all function like new. Hard to believe a wooden tool chest made 70 years ago still works like new. Sort of like all those Takumar lenses I have
03-27-2021, 02:35 AM   #1089
Pentaxian

We've been waiting even longer for the fabled FF teleconverter.
Which reminds me of the corresponding thread (:
FF TC - full frame teleconverter - PentaxForums.com
03-27-2021, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #1090
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We've been waiting even longer for the fabled FF teleconverter.
I'd rather carry a crop camera over a full frame teleconverter any day.
03-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #1091
Pentaxian

Same here, either you choose the good focal lens, either you take advantage of cropped body.
Charging/removing TCs during operations is just awkward
Btw, back on subject please
03-27-2021, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #1092
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Unless you've been living under a rock for the past year, you know that manufacturers have been facing significant challenges over the past year.
OK, yes ... significant challenges, that's true enough ...

But, please let me go back and survey DPR, PetaPixel or etc.

I will try to count all the new product releases by: (and fill in the blanks)

Canon = ___
Sony = ___
Nikon = ___
Fujifilm = ___
Panasonic = ___
etc.

This may take a while to do this count because there's a lot to be counted ... But, there's one that I can fill in pretty easy.

Pentax = ___
03-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #1093
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I will try to count all the new product releases by: (and fill in the blanks)

Canon = ___
Sony = ___
Nikon = ___
Fujifilm = ___
Panasonic = ___
etc.

This may take a while to do this count because there's a lot to be counted ... But, there's one that I can fill in pretty easy.

Pentax = ___
I'll do that for you, say, for products after the AKM factory fire (<4 months, to account for production&shipping):
Canon = 0
Sony = 5 lenses, 1 camera
Nikon = 0
Fujifilm = 3 lenses, 2 cameras
Panasonic = 1 lens
Olympus = 0
Sigma = 4 lenses, 1 camera

Ricoh Imaging = 3 HD versions of existing lenses, 1 improved Theta Z1. So... let's say, 0.
03-27-2021, 02:16 PM - 3 Likes   #1094

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'll do that for you, say, for products after the AKM factory fire (<4 months, to account for production&shipping):Canon = 0Sony = 5 lenses, 1 cameraNikon = 0Fujifilm = 3 lenses, 2 camerasPanasonic = 1 lensOlympus = 0Sigma = 4 lenses, 1 cameraRicoh Imaging = 3 HD versions of existing lenses, 1 improved Theta Z1. So... let's say, 0.
Given that it appears that the D FA 21 Limited might be years away, and that there appears to be no activity on developing a new FF body, I'm back to shopping other brands and have noticed just what you've posted - Sony, Sigma, and Fuji are blowing everyone else away in development and fielding truly exciting new cameras and lenses. Take a look at the Fuji GFX 100s - 100MP body that's not much larger than Pentax K1, great lenses... Same with Sigma fp L camera (with Leica mount)... and of course Sony is blowing everyone else away.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be placing my Pentax K1 in the curio cabinet with my: Asahi Pentax AP, Asahi Pentax S, Asahi Pentax K, S1, S2, S3, SV, H3, H1a, Spotmatic, Spotmatic II, Spotmatic F, KM, KX, ME, MX,... and a host of wonderful old Takumar lenses (20-30)... at some point you realize that it's time to move on. I'll keep the old cameras in my collection, but I truly feel that Pentax is just becoming too slow and too far behind for it to make sense to continue, sad to say.
03-27-2021, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #1095
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Starpacer Quote
Given that it appears that the D FA 21 Limited might be years away, and that there appears to be no activity on developing a new FF body, I'm back to shopping other brands
Thanks for the daily dose of FUD.

There are already working prototypes of the DFA21 around, so suggesting it is "years away" seems almost maliciously pessimistic.
Ricoh are most likely working on a new FF body, but they won't tell us about it until they want to.

What it is about the output from your K-1 that you find unacceptable?
Closed Thread