Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #1096
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Starpacer Quote
It's looking more and more like I'm going to be placing my Pentax K1 in the curio cabinet with my: Asahi Pentax AP, Asahi Pentax S, Asahi Pentax K, S1, S2, S3, SV, H3, H1a, Spotmatic, Spotmatic II, Spotmatic F, KM, KX, ME, MX,... and a host of wonderful old Takumar lenses (20-30)... at some point you realize that it's time to move on. I'll keep the old cameras in my collection, but I truly feel that Pentax is just becoming too slow and too far behind for it to make sense to continue, sad to say.
Meanwhile, I will just keep shooting with my Pentax KP and ignoring the output from other manufacturers;
I see no reason to move on.

03-27-2021, 02:38 PM - 4 Likes   #1097
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm back to shopping other brands and have noticed just what you've posted - Sony, Sigma, and Fuji are blowing everyone else away in development
If you want to buy the latest camera of the month just go with Sony. They will be happy to take your money. Every month for the 'new' model. If you just want to make excellent images then the K-1 is just fine. There is nothing in any of those latest and greatest that is going to improve your images one whit in the real world. Just MHO.

Just saying there is a difference between gear buyers and photographers.
03-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #1098

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you want to buy the latest camera of the month just go with Sony. They will be happy to take your money. Every month for the 'new' model. If you just want to make excellent images then the K-1 is just fine. There is nothing in any of those latest and greatest that is going to improve your images one whit in the real world. Just MHO.Just saying there is a difference between gear buyers and photographers.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm getting great images using my K1... I shoot almost every day, win photo contests with it, etc. My point is that I think we've all gotten conditioned to accept that Pentax might or might not ever deliver what they promise (unlike 40 years ago), and it's a bit frustrating to see other manufacturers cranking out products that really will perform better than a K1 with an m 20mm f/4 mounted (using the m-series lens because why?)... I've used Pentax since high-school, for over 30 years now, point is, we'd all be smart to pay attention to what's going on around us and maybe start to consider alternatives. I wouldn't have dreamed of switching brands a few years ago (I've tried Canon and Nikon and know for a fact that Pentax makes superior lenses and cameras)... but now I see the game changing, it's no longer a question of Pentax vs Canikon... and yes, if you're a casual shooter, vacations, etc, you're probably going to be fine with your Pentax from 10 years ago... but if you want to take advantage of advances in technology, and create truly superb images (that wouldn't have been possible 10 years ago), it's looking like Pentax isn't going to be the way to go, again sad to say by someone who has been loyal forever.
03-27-2021, 02:54 PM - 5 Likes   #1099
Loyal Site Supporter

Given that it appears that the D FA 21 Limited might be years away, and that there appears to be no activity on developing a new FF body, I'm back to shopping other brands and have noticed just what you've posted - Sony, Sigma, and Fuji are blowing everyone else away in development and fielding truly exciting new cameras and lenses. Take a look at the Fuji GFX 100s - 100MP body that's not much larger than Pentax K1, great lenses... Same with Sigma fp L camera (with Leica mount)... and of course Sony is blowing everyone else away.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to be placing my Pentax K1 in the curio cabinet with my: Asahi Pentax AP, Asahi Pentax S, Asahi Pentax K, S1, S2, S3, SV, H3, H1a, Spotmatic, Spotmatic II, Spotmatic F, KM, KX, ME, MX,... and a host of wonderful old Takumar lenses (20-30)... at some point you realize that it's time to move on. I'll keep the old cameras in my collection, but I truly feel that Pentax is just becoming too slow and too far behind for it to make sense to continue, sad to say.
Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Rather than making it into an award winning drama, just go quietly.
We will try to not miss you.

03-27-2021, 03:04 PM   #1100
Pentaxian

create truly superb images (that wouldn't have been possible 10 years ago)
What kind of images are we talking about here?
03-27-2021, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #1101
Pentaxian

Makes you wonder how photographers of old took the world famous shots they did with such old tech. They didn't even have 200+ focus points!
03-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #1102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Makes you wonder how photographers of old took the world famous shots they did with such old tech.

Makes you wonder why someone would buy a KP when they already have a spotmatic

03-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #1103

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
What kind of images are we talking about here?
Something like this, printed at say 30x40 inches, only using 100MP instead of 36. Shot with K1 and Laowa 12mm. I like spending time post-processing and like printing large... maybe my needs are different than most. Sorry for the trouble folks. I'll try not to disparage the brand in this forum!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-27-2021, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #1104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given that it appears that the D FA 21 Limited might be years away,
I think that it would be fair to challenge the analysis on this point -- what evidence led to this conclusion? Is a timeline of "years" the most probable outcome for the release of the new lens?

My point is that I think we've all gotten conditioned to accept that Pentax might or might not ever deliver what they promise
"We" doesn't include me. I believe that some folks have been conditioned to, and are envious of, the frequent announcements and releases of other brands and may be frustrated that Ricoh Imaging has not maintained a similar prolific pace. Some have thrived on the relentless YouTube and blog commentaries that several brands have precipitated. Regardless, many photographers still enjoy shooting with Pentax.

Something like this, printed at say 30x40 inches, only using 100MP instead of 36.
Dramatic image! I'm surprised that your K-1 image didn't print well at 30x40. Regardless, various discussions here at Pentax Forums have explored the benefits of using medium format for larger prints. Up-scaling techniques can also be useful. Many K-1 users have reported that they've made excellent large prints from their K-1's or even from APS-C cameras. Regardless of format and printing, this sort of scene would benefit from a specialized tilt and shift lens, which, regrettably, is not found in the modern Pentax line-up.

@Starpacer, I think you could find plenty of great gear across all of the brands, Pentax included. Great images and large prints can be made from all sorts of cameras and lenses. You just need to figure out exactly what you need, and get it. Fortunately, there are great options, so your needs should be met quite readily.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-27-2021 at 06:57 PM.
03-27-2021, 03:33 PM - 2 Likes   #1105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll try not to disparage the brand in this forum!
Disparage away if you have a legitimate complaint. Pentax is a small, niche brand. With a delivery cycle of maybe one lens and one body per year on average. Maybe even slower than that. If that isn't fast enough move on, nobody is going to fault you. Pentax is what it is. Other brands have a need to provide more gear for people to buy to cover expenses. Pentax seems content with a relatively slower rate.

But I'm not going to buy the argument that newer gear will make better images. It won't. If you need a 100mp image, shoot it in three and merge, you get the same thing. There are a lot of really cool things being delivered by other brands, mirrorless bodies, rafts of new lenses and so on. And none of it will do anything you cannot do with your K-1. It's just 'stuff' to spend money on.
03-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #1106
Pentaxian

This is a nice image, but I don't see why it's given to back up a claim that Pentax is lagging behind so far, that some pictures are unobtainable with their equipment.

Pentax cameras may not have 100 Mpix at their disposal (no FF camera has that), but they do have Pixel Shift, for example.
03-27-2021, 03:38 PM - 5 Likes   #1107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I dunno, a barely processed image taken with the K-1 and the M20/4 is printed at 50x70 cm on my wall, and you have to get pretty close to notice the "bad" corners of the lens. Everyone seems to think it looks lovely
03-27-2021, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #1108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Makes you wonder why someone would buy a KP when they already have a spotmatic
I got my spotmatic after my KP tyvm.
03-27-2021, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #1109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'll do that for you, say, for products after the AKM factory fire (<4 months, to account for production&shipping):
Canon = 0
Sony = 5 lenses, 1 camera
Nikon = 0
Fujifilm = 3 lenses, 2 cameras
Panasonic = 1 lens
Olympus = 0
Sigma = 4 lenses, 1 camera

Ricoh Imaging = 3 HD versions of existing lenses, 1 improved Theta Z1. So... let's say, 0.
Whatever ... You said "0" which is true. Unfortunate.

And really, the AKM fire has nothing to do with the lack of Pentax R&D and new product development. That's an easy excuse, like saying "the dog ate my homework".

"Rehab tweaks" of film-era lenses* does not count as a new product. Just "different color lipstick" on the same pig, one might argue.

According to PF dates:
31mm = production start of 2001
43mm = production start of 1997
77mm = production start of 1999

* Earliest digital Pentax *ist seems to be 2003

Theta Z1 is not a main stream photography product ... a fun photo toy IMHO and I would like to try one out. Not quite the same application as a K-3iii ... or a hopeful new-in-the-near-future K-1iii. Just try to earn a living as a photographer with Theta Z1 as your main tool. There's a great variety of interchangeable lenses for the Theta series.

And you have got to be kidding for Canon and Nikon ... "ZERO"s ... really.

My main point was and still stands ... 10+ months of nothing for the 21mm (... just like it's been over SEVEN & a HALF YEARS since the release of the K-3, without any major update since then.) Inexcusable for both products IMHO. Period.

Yes. I am being very, very harsh on Ricoh/Pentax management. As we all should be ... to get them of their dead butts.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-27-2021 at 04:05 PM.
03-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #1110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I got my spotmatic after my KP tyvm.
So did I!
I got a Spotmatic this year, while I got my KP on Black Friday 2018.
Closed Thread