Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #1141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
And the K-01 and ME super?

KP as your first camera ... cool.

Just playing but harping back at the old days when someone want's new technology is just a bad comparison.
Was a tongue in cheek comparison. It's fine to want tech but sometimes you have to evaluate the value of some of the tech going into these cameras. Are you going to be a better photographer? Probably not. Technique still matters most even with these systems attempting to make it fool proof...

If you want my opinion the direction of tech kinda removes the fun of it all so I don't really worry about it. Eventually where the tech will take us is 8k video with the ability to take any frame and adjust them algorithmically to add any depth of field we want with an ai ran plugin. Getting the exact moment will be far easier than at any other point in history but I believe most of us photographers don't care much for that.

Also yes I started digital and then went to film.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 03-28-2021 at 07:38 AM.
03-28-2021, 07:44 AM - 5 Likes   #1142
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Ricoh has to decide if it's better to go a year, year-and-a-half, two years from announcement to release on products, or even longer with no news whatsoever and then announce only when it's about to hit the streets. In either case you're a consumer electronics company that takes year(s) to release products, and nature abhors a vacuum. Rumors will crop up in the extremely long pauses between facts.
Yes. I think the best path for Pentax (Ricoh) is to better manage that vacuum. Be up front with consumers that:
  • Pentax is in fact a small company and can only move so fast--
  • And has to be very careful about making mistakes
  • And wants to get things right
Fill that vacuum space with more about the company, its engineers, its philosophy. Fill it with more from Pentax ambassadors. & etc. I can think of dozens of ways to fill that space, it just takes some imagination.

Finally, now that the dslr space seemingly is being left to Pentax, don't be so afraid to telegraph a bit more about things in the works. It's not like you're giving your competitors an advantage, since they don't care what you're doing anyway!
03-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #1143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Finally, now that the dslr space seemingly is being left to Pentax, don't be so afraid to telegraph a bit more about things in the works. It's not like you're giving your competitors an advantage, since they don't care what you're doing anyway!
Apparently we hate that.
03-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #1144
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If you want my opinion the direction of tech kinda removes the fun of it all so I don't really worry about it. Eventually where the tech will take us is 8k video with the ability to take any frame and adjust them algorithmically to add any depth of field we want with an ai ran plugin. Getting the exact moment will be far easier than at any other point in history but I believe most of us photographers don't care much for that.
Samsung is already advertising that their phones produce 8k video and that
(1) this is professional quality
(2) you can grab a frame and get a good still shot

Making a five minute video of a bird feeder - or bird nest - and then grabbing a still shot of a bird taking off seems like cheating to an old film shooter like me.

03-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #1145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
K-3 III had a tournee over the world during celebrations of 100th anniversary of Asahi Opt. Co. That was autumn 2019.
I mean, sure, in 2020 Covid happened and all that stuff that made things complicated; but it still eludes me why the camera needed (at least) 1,5 year since then for a market launch. Especially since Pentax doesn't make that many cameras in terms of volume (the last data I've seen indicates Ricoh/Pentax made around 30 000 SLRs in 2020, Canon 1,7 milion and Nikon 650 000). ...
Good point ... 18 months and counting for the K3iii. This eludes me, too. Just like the D FA 21 and the DA* 16-50/2.8 ... announced and zero for 10+ months and counting.

And I completely disagree that we, as Pentax users, would be wasting our time raising these serious issues ... to say nothing is to condone the current situation and give a "green light" that this is acceptable (mis)management.
03-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #1146
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
An example: Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25x IS Pro.
  • Development announcement on 24 January 2019, tentative release date 2020.
  • Mock-up showcased under glass during CP+ 2019 (February) and The Photography Show 2019 (March).
  • Prototypes spotted in the field in March 2019.
  • then nothing for a long while
  • July 2020: release postponed to winter 2020, additional pictures published.
  • November 2020: announcement with full specifications and tentative release date (22 January 2021).
The first deliveries were eventually postponed to February 2021 for a general availability in March.
Point well noted ... although I would add that Olympus does not have the best track record as of late.

The camera branch being sold off is pretty good evidence of overall bad management of their products.

I would be curious as to how many of these super zooms will actually be sold.

The list price at my local B&M store is 7,999 euros.
03-28-2021, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #1147
Pentaxian

K-3 III had a tournee over the world during celebrations of 100th anniversary of Asahi Opt. Co. That was autumn 2019.
I mean, sure, in 2020 Covid happened and all that stuff that made things complicated; but it still eludes me why the camera needed (at least) 1,5 year since then for a market launch. Especially since Pentax doesn't make that many cameras in terms of volume (the last data I've seen indicates Ricoh/Pentax made around 30 000 SLRs in 2020, Canon 1,7 milion and Nikon 650 000).
A Samsung official told in a DPR interview that developing the NX1 took about 3 years.
In autumn 2019 Ricoh Imaging showcased a "digital SLR camera currently under development", which was expected to be released in 2020. Since they didn't say "early 2020" or even "mid 2020", we're talking about a few months delay.
And obviously, making a low number of cameras won't speed up development.

03-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #1148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Samsung is already advertising that their phones produce 8k video and that
(1) this is professional quality
(2) you can grab a frame and get a good still shot

Making a five minute video of a bird feeder - or bird nest - and then grabbing a still shot of a bird taking off seems like cheating to an old film shooter like me.
Except you won't have to shoot five minutes of video.
The phone will likely keep the past several seconds in cache, so when you hit the "shutter button", it will provide you with the past couple seconds of video and let you pick the best shot.
This has been a thing for a few years now in other brands and at lower resolutions...
If the Samsung is really smart, it will have snuck in a couple at different focus points and exposure settings...

Still cheating, though

-Eric
03-28-2021, 10:53 AM - 3 Likes   #1149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Look, I think it is clear that some updates don't take much time and others take a lot of time -- or at least a lot of individuals and money focused on a product. So, if you are going to tack an accelerator and a few firmware tweaks on a K-1 and call it a K-1 II, that is the sort of thing that doesn't take a huge amount of time and effort.

I suppose Ricoh could have done the same thing with the K-3 III. Tack on an updated accelerator to a K-3 II, maybe tweak the auto focus module a little bit and use an older, but proven sensor (that doesn't allow for 4K video). That sort of camera wouldn't take a long time to get out the door, but I don't know that it would be exciting.

Take a new architecture, more auto focus points and a well constructed continuous focus algorithm, higher frame rates, 4K video and figure out how to use your metering sensor to allow for eye auto focus and you have a significant challenge that takes much longer to work through.

Unfortunately, my guess is that we are talk 18 months between new cameras, with a few lenses thrown in. I just don't think Pentax has the resources to work on more than one thing at a time and as Kunzite has said, it really does take a minimum of a year and a half (often more) to get a new camera ready for release.
03-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #1150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Good point ... 18 months and counting for the K3iii. This eludes me, too. Just like the D FA 21 and the DA* 16-50/2.8 ... announced and zero for 10+ months and counting.

And I completely disagree that we, as Pentax users, would be wasting our time raising these serious issues ... to say nothing is to condone the current situation and give a "green light" that this is acceptable (mis)management.
As a Pentax user I disagree with your disagreement.
We are wasting our time complaining and "raising issues".
I completely "condone" the current situation.
If they produce something 'for me', I will spent money on them - otherwise I will just continue taking pictures.
In the age of film, I had cameras lasting over ten years - now I understand that five years may be more appropriate - as it is with computers - but I don't need to be constantly purchasing new ones.
03-28-2021, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #1151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Sure there could be mismanagement but I think it's also fair to say that lots of companies have been hurt for obvious reasons.
03-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #1152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A Samsung official told in a DPR interview that developing the NX1 took about 3 years.
In autumn 2019 Ricoh Imaging showcased a "digital SLR camera currently under development", which was expected to be released in 2020. Since they didn't say "early 2020" or even "mid 2020", we're talking about a few months delay.
And obviously, making a low number of cameras won't speed up development.
I guess I just fail to see a point in showcasing a camera under heavy development during the worldwide tournee. With no specs and even the name known at the time. Kinda feels like an afterthought.

Don't remember Samsung (or anyone really) doing something similar with their cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers:
We can always discuss stuff and raise our concerns, but IMO the only thing that matters are sales. Ultimately, we vote with our wallets.
03-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #1153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As a Pentax user I disagree with your disagreement.
We are wasting our time complaining and "raising issues".
I completely "condone" the current situation.
If they produce something 'for me', I will spent money on them - otherwise I will just continue taking pictures.
In the age of film, I had cameras lasting over ten years - now I understand that five years may be more appropriate - as it is with computers - but I don't need to be constantly purchasing new ones.
I can appreciate your position. I have no problem with this perspective ... I just do not share it.

Me, too, if something new comes along, then I might bite ... while waiting, I will continue to shoot my K-1 with my legacy film Pentax and Tak lenses.

I just see my brand loosing more and more forward momentum and overall appeal ... I find it regrettable and quite avoidable.
03-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #1154
Pentaxian

I guess I just fail to see a point in showcasing a camera under heavy development during the worldwide tournee. With no specs and even the name known at the time. Kinda feels like an afterthought.

Don't remember Samsung (or anyone really) doing something similar with their cameras.

We can always discuss stuff and raise our concerns, but IMO the only thing that matters are sales. Ultimately, we vote with our wallets.
Quite true ... all my recent acquisitions (both new and used) have been for the Fujifilm XF system ... except for an Irix 15/2.4 that was bought for the K-1.
03-28-2021, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #1155
Pentaxian

The alternative was to show nothing. It's much better to say "hey, we're working on something new, something amazing - here's a preview of that".

Samsung didn't get to the 100 years anniversary, did they? Nikon had products to show, and Olympus' surprise was getting out of the camera business.
Closed Thread