Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #1171

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For what my ‘iPhone 8’ is {a tiny sensor behind a fixed wide angle lens}, it gives good pictures.That is because like it is built around a true computing processor with prodigious power for its size.If Pentax would make a processor like that the heart of a true camera, perhaps they could provide what you desire,but I don’t see that happening any time soon.
Nobody talks about this much, but for general photography, a new iPhone is going to do about 90% of the tasks just fine. There really no longer a need for 'low performing' cameras of any kind, including APS-C DSLRs - the iPhone image is going to look just as good on the computer monitor if that's all you're using it for. I've taken great macro photos with the iPhone (I think this is an area where they excel). This might be the true danger for Pentax, in their choice to focus on APS-C DSLRs..

I see what you're saying - take the same software that manages to squeeze really nice looking images from the tiny iPhone sensor and apply it to processing the images produced by the comparatively gigantic 24x36 sensor and the results should be amazing. I think the cameras do provide the ability to customize the jpeg processing functions (sharpening, saturation, etc), so we do have those controls available - most of us probably don't use them to the extent that we should..

03-28-2021, 08:59 PM - 2 Likes   #1172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Starpacer Quote
Nobody talks about this much, but for general photography, a new iPhone is going to do about 90% of the tasks just fine. There really no longer a need for 'low performing' cameras of any kind, including APS-C DSLRs - the iPhone image is going to look just as good on the computer monitor if that's all you're using it for. I've taken great macro photos with the iPhone (I think this is an area where they excel). This might be the true danger for Pentax, in their choice to focus on APS-C
Where did they say they were going to focus on APS-C DSLRs? Wakashiro-san made clear that they see a role for both the K-1 line and the K-3 line going forward. APS-C has a great role for action photography. Easier to get high burst rate. Basically a 1.5x teleconverter compared to FF but without the loss of light. People act like FF is some holy grail. You’re not going to get sports or BIF with what Apple and Samsung pass off as telephoto lenses on phones.
03-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #1173
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And don't forget that Pentax also makes a medium format camera, the next iteration of which may well have that mystical 100 megapixels.

Anyhoooo, this thread is about the DFA 21 Limited, if I recall correctly. Shall we return to topic, perhaps?
03-28-2021, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #1174

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Anyhoooo, this thread is about the DFA 21 Limited, if I recall correctly. Shall we return to topic, perhaps?
I think this started as "It's starting to look like the 21mm D FA isn't going to be released any time soon, major disappointment", to "It's looking like Pentax might not deliver several products as promised", to "Maybe I should start looking for another manufacturer that can deliver as promised", to "What are all the options"... Regardless, well off topic. Sorry for my piece of that..

03-29-2021, 12:10 AM   #1175
Pentaxian

To conclude on the last exchanges, we here rather need an enlighted Star Treker to bring us that Limited 21, rather than a confused Starpacer to advertise on Apple
03-29-2021, 12:57 AM   #1176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Where did they say they were going to focus on APS-C DSLRs? Wakashiro-san made clear that they see a role for both the K-1 line and the K-3 line going forward. APS-C has a great role for action photography. Easier to get high burst rate. Basically a 1.5x teleconverter compared to FF but without the loss of light. People act like FF is some holy grail. You’re not going to get sports or BIF with what Apple and Samsung pass off as telephoto lenses on phones.
Exactly!
03-29-2021, 01:01 AM   #1177
Pentaxian

Removable lens hood

I wish they would make the lens hood removable on the D FA 21 limited. That would have made it easy to use step-up rings and 77mm filters.

03-29-2021, 02:00 AM - 4 Likes   #1178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh those spoiled brats, whining because their little toys aren't there at time
Patience is a golden path.
03-29-2021, 02:17 AM - 2 Likes   #1179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Oh those spoiled brats, whining because their little toys aren't there at time
Patience is a golden path.
In this case, I'd rather say patience is a silver path
03-29-2021, 02:35 AM   #1180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
I wish they would make the lens hood removable on the D FA 21 limited. That would have made it easy to use step-up rings and 77mm filters.
The built in hoods are really one of the great features of the limiteds. Loose hoods make switching primes at least three times as complicated. It was even mentioned in one of the more recent ricoh videos "fast deployment" or somesuch.

Of course several limiteds have screw in hoods but for such a wide angle it makes sense integrated IMHO.
03-29-2021, 03:41 AM   #1181
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
I think you'll need to wait for the DFA* 24/1.4 for that facility. Don't hold your breath!
03-29-2021, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #1182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I think you'll need to wait for the DFA* 24/1.4 for that facility. Don't hold your breath!
Shouldn't the DFA 21mm Limited be F2.1 and the DFA* 24mm F2.4 ?
03-29-2021, 05:08 AM   #1183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Shouldn't the DFA 21mm Limited be F2.1 and the DFA* 24mm F2.4 ?
An off-beat focal length should, after all, have an off-beat maximum aperture to go with it. The old FA20 was an F2.8 lens, so anything larger should be a candidate, provided it isn’t F2.0, F1.9 or F1.8. I’d be happy with F2.3.
03-29-2021, 05:24 AM   #1184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The built in hoods are really one of the great features of the limiteds. Loose hoods make switching primes at least three times as complicated. It was even mentioned in one of the more recent ricoh videos "fast deployment" or somesuch.

Of course several limiteds have screw in hoods but for such a wide angle it makes sense integrated IMHO.
and my DA 20-40mm has neither built-in hood nor facility for mounting one - just front glass inset more than usual.
03-29-2021, 05:28 AM   #1185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
and my DA 20-40mm has neither built-in hood nor facility for mounting one - just front glass inset more than usual.
Doesn't the 20-40 have a screw-in hood? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014045-REG/pentax_38707_mh_ra55_lens...981&
Closed Thread