Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1497 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2021, 11:05 AM   #1576
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
My DA 15 ltd had field curvature, stopping down aperture didn't help a lot past f5.6, it keep giving me blurry corners until diffraction kicked in.

---------- Post added 23-07-21 at 18:28 ----------

I don't call this sharp edge, there is a drop of resolution of 20 to 30% towards edges. My 35mm, 50 macro and 100 macro have almost the same sharpness from center to corners.

---------- Post added 23-07-21 at 18:33 ----------

Yes, you're right, I not the kind of guy cutting corners
DA 15 limited is weak at the edges. This we know. DFA 21 seem to have completely different things going for it, as it is not ‘that’ small either and it is significantly faster.

I’m not so sure about any FA limited. Sure, they are not as sharp as many modern lenses, but they do deliver.

07-27-2021, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #1577
Pentaxian

Any news about this lens? It's almost Christmas...
07-27-2021, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #1578
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Any news about this lens? It's almost Christmas...
"Christmas in July" perhaps.
Pentax has a long time to deliver - Pentaxians can be so impatient sometimes.
07-27-2021, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #1579
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"Christmas in July" perhaps.
Pentax has a long time to deliver - Pentaxians can be so impatient sometimes.
It's still July? Which year?
I guess I'm a bit annoyed at APS-C people being able to buy K-3iiis and preorder 16-50s... come on, it's my turn now!

07-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #1580
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's still July? Which year?
I guess I'm a bit annoyed at APS-C people being able to buy K-3iiis and preorder 16-50s... come on, it's my turn now!
We did get the 85/1.4 and 70-210 last year. They have to throw the APS-C people the occasional bone.
07-27-2021, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #1581
Pentaxian

Earlier than christmas.
07-27-2021, 10:58 PM   #1582
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
We did get the 85/1.4 and 70-210 last year. They have to throw the APS-C people the occasional bone.
Ya man, play fair!

07-28-2021, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #1583
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Earlier than christmas.
St Nicholas' Day ?
07-28-2021, 01:19 AM   #1584

How much time shall we waiting ? Fa limiteds are not Da Limiteds and is not a question of ff vs apsc format, we want an authentic 21 FA Limited:
f/1.8 or f1.9,
NO electronic diaphragm control,
NO autofocus stepper/pulsar motor, we want SCREWDRIVE focus!
A Diaphgram RING !,
COMPACT! like the marvellous 31 !!!
Wonderfully built: all metal, MECHANICAL, light, sturdy, tactile, and refined.

There are other (and better) brands for Analithical and automatic Lenses, that are not lenses, and not only for my point of view, ...

How much time shall we waiting ? This year ? Next year ? 2023 ?
NEVER?
i'll change brand, after 40 years..., if i see again these stupid big cylinder digital device that, with social networks and smartphones, has killed
THE CULTURE OF REAL PHOTOGRAPHY

Best regards

Ben-G
07-28-2021, 02:15 AM - 2 Likes   #1585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben-G Quote
How much time shall we waiting ? Fa limiteds are not Da Limiteds and is not a question of ff vs apsc format, we want an authentic 21 FA Limited:
f/1.8 or f1.9,
A Diaphgram RING !,

There are other (and better) brands for Analithical and automatic Lenses, that are not lenses, and not only for my point of view, ...

NEVER?
i'll change brand, after 40 years..., if i see again these stupid big cylinder digital device that, with social networks and smartphones, has killed

Best regards

Ben-G
Well, it's not a FA Limited. It's a D FA Limited.

As long as the rendering is good, it will fit the bill. The optics make the lens, not the actuation of the diaphragm (seriously?).
It will be machined aluminum like the previous ones. It's the size of the DFA 28-105, which is not too large.

You want an f/1.8, ultra wide angle lens and you want it compact? You DO know that the 31 already broke the design brief by being larger than originally intended, right? Going wider makes it harder to keep size small.

Photography is photography. Smartphones haven't killed it more than 35mm killed it (the only real photography is on daguerreotypes developed with mercury vapour - nothing else is harmful enough to the photographer to be proper photography).
07-28-2021, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #1586
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
f/1.8 or f1.9,
A Diaphgram RING !,

NEVER?

Best regards

Ben-G
?

I'm not sure what other brand you are going to find that doesn't use modern techniques for lens design, in lens motors and such. Maybe Leica would be your best bet, but of course you will pay much higher prices for that gear.

As far as the DFA limited we are talking about here, (a) Ooku has said it will be released before the end of the year, (b) It will be a modern lens and that is a good thing. I don't really care one way or the other about in lens motor versus screw drive, but the FA 31 and 77 have really bad purple fringing and both have a tendency to flare (fixed somewhat by the HD update). Acting as though they are the pinnacle of lens design is inaccurate. The DFA *50 and 85 lenses are much better in many respects -- particularly when shooting on digital. (c) Using modern lenses in no way kills the culture of real photography (whatever that is). It is simply up to us to use our lenses as best as we can to achieve our vision. I would say that this lens may well be the perfect landscape lens for someone who owns a K-1. I hesitate to say anything about astro until we see what its wide open performance and coma are.

(I'm actually pretty pleased with the amount of gear Pentax is releasing this year after a relatively dry spell the last couple of years).
07-28-2021, 02:31 AM   #1587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would say that this lens may well be the perfect landscape lens for someone who owns a K-1. I hesitate to say anything about astro until we see what its wide open performance and coma are.

(I'm actually pretty pleased with the amount of gear Pentax is releasing this year after a relatively dry spell the last couple of years).
I expect it to be sharp with pleasant rendering. If it has a reasonable close-focus ability, it's going straight into the hiking backpack whenever I can afford it.
07-28-2021, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #1588
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

f/1.8 or f1.9,
A Diaphgram RING !,

Ben-G
The images we've seen of the new lens show it has no aperture ring.

It is not as small as the existing FA limiteds.

It also has been suggested to have a maximum aperture between f2.0 and f2.8, so slower than you're suggesting.

And rumors have suggested before the end of this year.

That said, it should still be a pretty great lens, even if it won't work on my K1000...

-Eric
07-28-2021, 06:07 AM   #1589
Pentaxian

A Diaphgram RING !,
In other words, you don’t want anything modern???
07-28-2021, 06:10 AM - 4 Likes   #1590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

f/1.8 or f1.9,
A Diaphgram RING !,

NEVER?

Best regards

Ben-G
It looks like you're expecting Pentax to produce their own Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4. Which is about $9000. There is zero chance Pentax is making that. They're going to give us a lens with electronic diaphragm control, silent focus motor, and no aperture ring. I suppose you're moving on to Leica, no one else makes what you're looking for.
Closed Thread