Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 399 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2021, 01:42 AM   #751
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Between the 11-18 and 16-50 most stuff is covered, but they are quite heavy and very expensive lenses.
It's true that for compact wide angle we have the two limiteds (15 and 21), but an APS-C f/1.8 or so prime in the whereabouts of 16-20mm would be cool.

That said, the 16-50 is probably the most important lens to refresh. The 50-135 should be next but that one is much more loved optically, so I'm not surprised they started with the standard...
Yeah, even if there is Samyang 20/1.8 and 16/2, I’m not going to buy one. Because I don’t see why it would need to ve that fast. Sure, to create ’FF’ equiv. 24/2.8 or so lens. I’ll be all over DFA 21 limited when it does come. (When I get money for it)

I have just never got the point for wide open wide angle shots, other than few things where it is cool, like close up. I did do them quite a bit with 15-30 on my K-1. I’d rather have T/S lens for that(which is on my list too). Coolest effect is to stitch multiple pictures in one with K-1 brenzier, as it has been mentioned here.

Don’t get me wrong, I like wideangle shooting and cat with one eye in focus and flowers isolated and bugs…, but should they be faster than f 2? I’v seen cool shots from DA21/3.2 limited. Shot wide open, up close and personal. When you get closer Dof is narrow. And yes, I do get the idea that it should be fast in order to get isolated subject even more further away. I think that FA31 limited does this on my K-1 pretty good.

I think that DA*16-50 and 11-18 should give really nice combo for apps-c where main thing for wide is not actually narrow Dof. And compared to K-1(especially with DFA15-30) 15-30 & 24-70 this is going to be significant difference in weight as well as options for lenses with filter thread for filters.

That said. 15/4 and 21/3.2 is on my list too. To go along with lenses I have already, like 40/2.8XS and FA77 limited. Throw in 55-300 and you’v got nice compact and high quality set

07-04-2021, 05:55 AM   #752
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
That said. 15/4 and 21/3.2 is on my list too. To go along with lenses I have already, like 40/2.8XS and FA77 limited.
I decided not to wait for the 16-50mm, although I expect it to outperform the older DA lenses. I don't regret it. The 4/15mm and 3.2/21mm perform really well and they are so tiny, it's amazing.
Together with my 3.5/28mm and FA 43mm it covers the useful ranges. And even with the 1.4/58mm Nokton and Pentax-M 2/85mm it's still a relatively light set, not just in the bag, but also in the hand.

I haven't decided on the 40mm, which I also have, but after 28mm the 43mm seems to make a little more sense. I would love the 77mm though, for the AF.
07-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I decided not to wait for the 16-50mm, although I expect it to outperform the older DA lenses. I don't regret it. The 4/15mm and 3.2/21mm perform really well and they are so tiny, it's amazing.
Together with my 3.5/28mm and FA 43mm it covers the useful ranges. And even with the 1.4/58mm Nokton and Pentax-M 2/85mm it's still a relatively light set, not just in the bag, but also in the hand.

I haven't decided on the 40mm, which I also have, but after 28mm the 43mm seems to make a little more sense. I would love the 77mm though, for the AF.
I have FA 43 also. I like it best with K-1. FA 77 is very nice with K-3III as well.

I’ll wait until I can afford new DA*16-50. Limiteds can be had later(or sooner if a great bargain will surface
07-04-2021, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #754
Pentaxian

The video is now available in english:

07-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #755
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If this zoom is sharp and has nice contrast wide open(as many * lenses do with 2020 standards) it will basically erase the need for wideangle prime, unless one want more than f2 lens. Sure. Zoom is zoom, but with these modern zooms you can do a lot.
Sort of. My guess is that it will have a fair amount of distortion at 16mm and f2.8 and as Serkevan say, the size is going to be quite a bit bigger than a prime of similar aperture and focal length. I own the DFA 15-30mm and I am still looking forward to the DFA 21 limited -- mainly for the size difference.

My guess is that wide angle primes with fast apertures are mainly used by folks shooting astro photography and they certainly won't be very happy with this lens.
07-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #756
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sort of. My guess is that it will have a fair amount of distortion at 16mm and f2.8 and as Serkevan say, the size is going to be quite a bit bigger than a prime of similar aperture and focal length. I own the DFA 15-30mm and I am still looking forward to the DFA 21 limited -- mainly for the size difference.

My guess is that wide angle primes with fast apertures are mainly used by folks shooting astro photography and they certainly won't be very happy with this lens.
I thought 11-18 was more aimed for Astro, given that there is lens heater and all.
I have original 16-50. From the day 1 even before buying it I knew most of not all problems what this lens has(my SDM is still going strong) still even if that distortion would be minimised, I figure that flare and ghosting and wide open performance will be improved…even after that it would still be ‘normal’ zoom. I would not buy it to get special stuff shot, more like getting high quality but quite versatile option. What is keeping me to go for 16-85 or 20-40 limited is that I like constant 2.8 through out the zoom. What I do hope is better performance @40-50 as well as around 16 mm. And blazing fast AF with continuous AF for video. Main selling factor for me are those things
07-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #757
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A comparison between the original DA*16-50 and this new one should be of interest. The original was criticised in some quarters for its optical performance, especially in the corners of the frame, but mostly for its poor record of SDM failures. I bought mine secondhand and at a good price, so I wasn’t all that fazed when the SDM failed. After enduring many dismantlings and “unsticking” the drive motor by hand, I did get fed up and converted it to screw-drive AF.

Now, having the K-3iii, I find that the AF is quick and relatively quiet, so I have no incentive on that score to move to the new lens. The (presumably) improved optical performance on the new lens will have to be spectacular to have me interested in swapping old for new, especially at the price that will likely be asked (the old one is currently selling for $1,500AUD, here). Nonetheless, comparisons in this case are not odious, so I trust Adam and Bernard will be watching closely in August.

07-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A comparison between the original DA*16-50 and this new one should be of interest. The original was criticised in some quarters for its optical performance, especially in the corners of the frame, but mostly for its poor record of SDM failures. I bought mine secondhand and at a good price, so I wasn’t all that fazed when the SDM failed. After enduring many dismantlings and “unsticking” the drive motor by hand, I did get fed up and converted it to screw-drive AF.

Now, having the K-3iii, I find that the AF is quick and relatively quiet, so I have no incentive on that score to move to the new lens. The (presumably) improved optical performance on the new lens will have to be spectacular to have me interested in swapping old for new, especially at the price that will likely be asked (the old one is currently selling for $1,500AUD, here). Nonetheless, comparisons in this case are not odious, so I trust Adam and Bernard will be watching closely in August.
I think that many will be watching this. HD coating alone will get rid of many things, like ghosting and flare.

Big deal is SDM, for sure.

But if image quality is not high, I’m going to stick with old version and wait for more affordable PLM lens like 16-85 or so.
07-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that many will be watching this. HD coating alone will get rid of many things, like ghosting and flare.

Big deal is SDM, for sure.

But if image quality is not high, I’m going to stick with old version and wait for more affordable PLM lens like 16-85 or so.
As I inferred, the AF drive on the K-3iii seems to have improved greatly, so the new SDM isn’t a big deal for me, but let’s see how much better it is. Certainly, I am impressed by the on-board AF drive in the D FA*50/1.4.
07-04-2021, 02:24 PM   #760
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
As I inferred, the AF drive on the K-3iii seems to have improved greatly, so the new SDM isn’t a big deal for me, but let’s see how much better it is. Certainly, I am impressed by the on-board AF drive in the D FA*50/1.4.
I agree. New is not SDM, it is PLM. Old SDM is a problem. We can think that it will not be biggest of issues, quite a contrary in fact. But we will see in couple of months
07-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #761
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm expecting less flare (the old 16-50 flares pretty badly), better corners wide open (at 16mm and f2.8 the old version is pretty poor), and less distortion (optical limits tested the 16-50 at nearly 4 percent distortion at 16mm). Regardless of auto focus performance (which should be a lot better too), I would think this would be enough to get someone who needs a standard zoom and f2.8 aperture to seriously consider this lens, even if they own the original version.
07-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #762
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will definitely get the new lens because the PLM motor and HD coating. I'm pretty sure it will have better sharpness, colors, focus speed and accuracy than any standard lens we have available until now.
07-05-2021, 04:03 AM   #763
Pentaxian

I have FA 43 also. I like it best with K-1
Is it the FL that you don't like it on the K-3 III - or the rendering?
07-05-2021, 05:22 AM   #764
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The video is now available in english:
Introducing the #pentax_hdda1650 - YouTube
That's a really short video apart from the date, which is still vague, it hides more than it shows.
07-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #765
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Is it the FL that you don't like it on the K-3 III - or the rendering?
I did like it okay when I did not have K-1 yet, but K-1 spoiled me for my limiteds. I have always thought that bokeh is unique and cool with FA 43, it is more so with FF and it has very nice ‘3D pop’. Does that make sense to you. That said, I have been busy to try many other lenses. So perhaps I’ll give FA 43 a round too. As well as FA 31. It is just that after I have got used to them on FF it just don’t feel the same.