Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 399 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
$1296 at launch.
Pentax should offer a pre-order discount of $400 to get a superb headstart into the sale of this lens. $896 and I will jump in on a pre-order.

11-22-2020, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh has no reason to give a 30% or greater discount at the start. It will cause issues with customer expectations as well as reduce margins. I don't like the idea of spending that much on a lens but I'm not really the target market for that lens either. Don't like it, go get a Sigma.
11-22-2020, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have 2 DA*s and I like Pentax's rendering so much it is just not easy to justify switching over to a Sigma tbh.

Ricoh is changing as far as I can see. They are showing up more often than before with their product updates and roadmaps and progress.
Pre-order pricing is a marketing strategy to get a bunch of people in to have the lens sell well in the short/long run. It is a 24-70FF equivalent so most pentax da* fan base will want to own it at $896 almost sooner than later.
Pentax marketing if they are reading this should utilize this standard and very successful marketing practice. I hope their marketing department is changing and moving into these successful and proven strategies.
DA*s aren't for people who are seeking equivalents in other brands for the obvious reasons. But they are for people who are already sold on to the DA* standards and IQ. I do not believe Sigma/Tamron customers should think of switching out unless they are convinced. For a lot of people price remains a priority (including me) but their * lenses are best in class. I expect no less on this DA* either.
11-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's what you want, you'll probably find the money, eventually. I understand wanting a Pentax lens over a Sigma (although Sigma has made some great glass for k-mount in the past, along with a number of duds). Ricoh will figure out if they want higher margins and fewer sales vs. greater volume and lower margins for early adopters. I doubt that many more people would buy at $900 vs $1300, honestly.

11-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #65
Pentaxian

If this new DA* is of comparable quality to DFA*... It should be very good. And quite expensive.

Do they consider DA* equals quality-wise to DFA*, I dunno.
11-22-2020, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Well, in contrast to the DFA 21limited, this is a lens that is replacing a n already existing standard zoom for APS-C cameras that is sold from Ricoh for 1100€ in their webshop. With this we have the lowest limit for the range of the introductory price for the new version.
11-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Well, in contrast to the DFA 21limited, this is a lens that is replacing a n already existing standard zoom for APS-C cameras that is sold from Ricoh for 1100€ in their webshop. With this we have the lowest limit for the range of the introductory price for the new version.
Seems reasonable thinking to me.

11-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Exactly, and as a refresh entering into a market very different from the one when the original 16-50 was introduced, I expect it will begin a good deal higher than that.

Not to say there won’t be some good deals on its predecessor, though...

-Eric
11-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by STARHUNTER94 Quote
Is there any real speculation on what the launch price will be?

Trying to figure out how bad it will be in CAD$...
I would say about the same price as fuji 16-55 and Sony 16-55 which are both modern excellent quality lenses. In euros 1150€ while the 11-18 is priced 1400€. Or it can cost less, as DFA16-35 is more expensive than 11-18, we can expect that 16-50 to be less expensive than DFA24-70. I only hope that it is top quality and it is released in 2021...
11-22-2020, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Pre-order pricing is a marketing strategy to get a bunch of people in to have the lens sell well in the short/long run. It is a 24-70FF equivalent so most pentax da* fan base will want to own it at $896 almost sooner than later.Pentax marketing if they are reading this should utilize this standard and very successful marketing practice. I hope their marketing department is changing and moving into these successful and proven strategies.
I doubt it. Those "strategies" work in a competitive market, especially when trying to drum up reviews. But Pentax is (almost) a monopoly. They don't care about reviews. The strategy that Ricoh will use is to start with a very high price to get the early adopters and then slowly adjust the price to get to the expected sales volume. If the list price is the $1,296 you state then that will be the price until the initial purchase surge has completed. After that they will adjust if needed to move the production run during the expected time frame.
Any expectation of a pre-order discount is just wishful thinking.
11-22-2020, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #71
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If this new DA* is of comparable quality to DFA*... It should be very good. And quite expensive.

Do they consider DA* equals quality-wise to DFA*, I dunno.
Sure, why not? On the new ones the iq is even higher. Star lenses are the top end what’s possible in this price range.
11-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Sure, why not? On the new ones the iq is even higher. Star lenses are the top end what’s possible in this price range.
I hope so (quality-wise) but hope not (price-wise).
We'll know soon enough...
11-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$1296 at launch.
I expect a similar price tag.
Keep in mind that comparable APS-C lenses with silent motor mostly are more expensive than the old DA* 16-50mm now and 2007.
Produktvergleich Nikon AF-S DX 17-55mm 2.8G IF-ED schwarz (JAA788DA), Sony E 16-55mm 2.8 G (SEL1655G), Fujifilm Fujinon XF 16-55mm 2.8 R LM WR (16443072), Samsung NX 16-50mm 2.0-2.8 S ED OIS i-Function schwarz (EX-S1650ASB), Pentax smc DA 16-50mm 2.8
Pentax DA* 16-50 ebay | In der Grafik - in the chart: UVP= o? | Flickr
11-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Pre-order pricing is a marketing strategy to get a bunch of people in to have the lens sell well in the short/long run.
It runs counter to normal pricing strategies, which is to sell at one price point to the early adopters who *must* have the lens, then another price point later on to those who'd like one.

Because this is a premium lens, not a T-shirt or a soft drink, each person who buys at the second price instead of the first is lost income for little Ricoh imaging - and a lot.
11-22-2020, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #75
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It runs counter to normal pricing strategies, which is to sell at one price point to the early adopters who *must* have the lens, then another price point later on to those who'd like one.

Because this is a premium lens, not a T-shirt or a soft drink, each person who buys at the second price instead of the first is lost income for little Ricoh imaging - and a lot.
No deep discounts on the D FA* 50 and 85, so that pattern will probably continue on any future * lens releases.