Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 399 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #601
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I don't think that function will have any impact on old autofocus lenses.
All but four of the Pentax autofocus lenses already have KA functionality, so they already function fine on a modern body.

It's only the pre-KA manual focus lenses that benefit from the K3III's new exposure system.

-Eric
If a lens has the KAF4 interface it won't need this new functionality - but earlier K-mount lenses depend upon a mechanical linkage {in the case of n0 computers controlled by a solenoid}
to control the aperture.

Any "K", "KA", "KAF2" or "KAF3" lens with an aperture ring will benefit from the K-3iii software,
which automatically builds functionality into the body that previously was available only if the user purposely uses the 'green button' and then takes necessary action.
For example, in 'TAv' mode, the K-3iii automatically finds the ISO setting which will make shutter speed {set in the body} and aperture {set with aperture ring on the lens} work
{this will work with M42 lenses also}.

Last edited by reh321; 05-15-2021 at 07:44 AM.
05-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #602
Pentaxian

Even if the vast majority A, F, FA, or DFA lenses have an aperture ring, there’s very little reason to not set them to “A” and enjoy full automatic exposure. So the added functionality is pretty irrelevant for them aside for some esoteric applications. For older lenses whose apertures cannot be controlled by the body it may offer some enhanced functionality.

On the other hand, there might be value in the legacy DA* lenses since some of them like the 16-50 can AF and AE on any Pentax DSLR all the way back to the *ist D because of the dual screw drive and SDM, while KAF4 lenses lose a fair bit of forward compatibility paired with older bodies.
05-15-2021, 08:57 AM   #603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
Even if the vast majority A, F, FA, or DFA lenses have an aperture ring, there’s very little reason to not set them to “A” and enjoy full automatic exposure. So the added functionality is pretty irrelevant for them aside for some esoteric applications. For older lenses whose apertures cannot be controlled by the body it may offer some enhanced functionality.

On the other hand, there might be value in the legacy DA* lenses since some of them like the 16-50 can AF and AE on any Pentax DSLR all the way back to the *ist D because of the dual screw drive and SDM, while KAF4 lenses lose a fair bit of forward compatibility paired with older bodies.
My original statement
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
especially if the new approach {first used on the K-3iii} appears on lower-tier bodies {which I expect to sell in greater numbers}, because the use of these lenses will become more flexible again.
looked forward to a K-90 and the possibility that the "A" setting might become unusable because of the "Dark Image Syndrome".
My original statement was that those older lenses would vastly gain value for use on that camera.
05-15-2021, 11:01 PM   #604
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I’m not sure that the new glass will necessarily lead to a taller pentaprism for the K-1. From the diagrams provided by Ricoh, I’d guess that the height was determined by the eyepiece optics redesign necessary to provide a larger virtual image, to match the size of the K-1’s.
That would be good news, not only for the time to adjust the K-1 but also for its size.

QuoteQuote:
Personally, I’d prefer a brighter K-1iii viewfinder, rather than one with a higher magnification.
I'm very curious about the brightness of the K-3 III. I'm not sure if it can be compared with the K-1, and I also suspect it is subtle yet discernible (on the basis of user reports so far). In any case, I hope to see it soon for myself.

05-15-2021, 11:08 PM   #605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I'm very curious about the brightness of the K-3 III. I'm not sure if it can be compared with the K-1, and I also suspect it is subtle yet discernible (on the basis of user reports so far). In any case, I hope to see it soon for myself.
I am curious, too. I hope someone who also has a K-3/ii will undertake some controlled tests to show the difference, for those of us waiting on a purchase decision.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 05-16-2021 at 03:46 PM.
05-16-2021, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #606
Veteran Member

Poor man's macro on cheap extension tubes requires an aperture ring to stop down the aperture. I wouldn't call that esoteric, but you have a point.

05-19-2021, 12:25 AM - 8 Likes   #607
Pentaxian

soon.

05-19-2021, 02:09 AM   #608

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
soon.
How soon?

Days?
Single digit number of weeks?
Double digit number of weeks?

I think I'll buy one for AF-C video.
05-19-2021, 02:16 AM   #609
Pentaxian

Even if the vast majority A, F, FA, or DFA lenses have an aperture ring, there’s very little reason to not set them to “A” and enjoy full automatic exposure.
Many of my lenses have this A and I rarely use it. I choose the desired aperture first - and then adapt when needed. I don't do this automatic, neither with my Rolleiflex 6008 which is fully automatic as well. And yes, I also use a lightmeter very frequently. If only because a speeding ticket during the trip to fetch it cost me £ 700 so I bloody better use it!
05-19-2021, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #610
Pentaxian

soon.
...or later.

05-19-2021, 03:01 AM   #611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BlackTea Quote
How soon?

Days?
Single digit number of weeks?
Double digit number of weeks?

I think I'll buy one for AF-C video.
It seems as though the design is done, it is a matter of production now...
05-19-2021, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #612
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hopefully a matter of boxing, shipping translating press releases and updating websites.
05-19-2021, 08:07 AM   #613
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And please, an update on the 21MM Limited for FF soon.
05-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #614
Pentaxian

soon.
Nice.
Any news about the 21mm?
05-19-2021, 08:54 AM - 4 Likes   #615
Pentaxian

The 21mm specification has been confirmed, but it will be some time before the official release.