Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #871
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Ricoh sent me an offer for $200 off list price for the new 16-50 in today's mail. I jumped right on it and hope to receive my lens soon.

I had given up on my old (original) 16-50 because of marginal IQ at the wide end and erratic SDM performance, switching to the Tamron 17-50 many years ago. Optical performance was indifferent but at least it was reliable. Now I'm looking forward to this new Pentax 16-50 - it sounds like it's a great lens and will resolve all my issues!
That's a great offer.

I have the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 HSM, and it's a very good lens... but not WR, of course, and whilst it's sharp enough, I've always felt the rendering lacks a certain something. If I could justify the expense, I'd buy this new DA*16-50 in a heartbeat. Sadly, even with $200 off, it's way above my budget nowadays. I've no doubt it's worth it, though.

Looking forward to reading your opinions on the new lens

10-06-2021, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #872
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's a great offer.

I have the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 HSM, and it's a very good lens... but not WR, of course, and whilst it's sharp enough, I've always felt the rendering lacks a certain something. If I could justify the expense, I'd buy this new DA*16-50 in a heartbeat. Sadly, even with $200 off, it's way above my budget nowadays. I've no doubt it's worth it, though.

Looking forward to reading your opinions on the new lens
The Sigma 17-50 is seriously a great lens, much better than the Sigma 17-70 assuming my recollection is still good. I've got two of 'em so I could outfit a second shooter if needed at an event. That's the biggest reason I didn't think I'd care about the brand new DFA16-50.

Well you know what, I bought it anyway and worst case I discover the new Pentax isn't a significant upgrade for my portrait/event stuff over the Sigma and I resell it at about what I paid. I'm not as worried with buying great premium glass as I don't expect I'll lose much if any money as long as I buy smart and not full retail-priced. The only lenses I've really lost on are some of the older, used, and less expensive ones. that don't turn out to be in the condition I expected they were. Heck, I might even discover the new Pentax can make three or four of the ones I use now in that range disposable and selling in the Marketplace. Miracles do happen.

Really good pre-loved glass will always have a market.
10-06-2021, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #873
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The Sigma 17-50 is seriously a great lens, much better than the Sigma 17-70 assuming my recollection is still good. I've got two of 'em so I could outfit a second shooter if needed at an event. That's the biggest reason I didn't think I'd care about the brand new DFA16-50.

Well you know what, I bought it anyway and worst case I discover the new Pentax isn't a significant upgrade for my portrait/event stuff over the Sigma and I resell it at about what I paid. I'm not as worried with buying great premium glass as I don't expect I'll lose much if any money as long as I buy smart and not full retail-priced. The only lenses I've really lost on are some of the older, used, and less expensive ones. that don't turn out to be in the condition I expected they were. Heck, I might even discover the new Pentax can make three or four of the ones I use now in that range disposable and selling in the Marketplace. Miracles do happen.

Really good pre-loved glass will always have a market.
Given the optical and build quality of recent higher-end Pentax lenses, I strongly suspect you'll end up keeping the DA*16-50; and I wouldn't be surprised if it supplants some of your other glass. Star-lens build quality, AW construction, fast new AF motor, sharp wide open, well-corrected... that's quite a combo. There's good reason why it doesn't cost peanuts.

I'm very happy with my Sigma 17-50 and other lens options, but I shall enjoy your DA*16-50 vicariously
10-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #874

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Ricoh sent me an offer for $200 off list price for the new 16-50 in today's mail. I jumped right on it and hope to receive my lens soon.

I had given up on my old (original) 16-50 because of marginal IQ at the wide end and erratic SDM performance, switching to the Tamron 17-50 many years ago. Optical performance was indifferent but at least it was reliable. Now I'm looking forward to this new Pentax 16-50 - it sounds like it's a great lens and will resolve all my issues!

Regards, Jim
Argh, my order for replacement is delayed... $200 is really nice price, I got 150€ (10%) on mine. With the number of stores that sell photo equipment, a 10% discount happen several times a year, that help with current lenses prices!

10-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #875

HI all, I have a silly question about this lens, may be my knowledge is not good enough to know whether is normal or not. The AF is very speedy and the centre is very sharp after doing the AF adjustment ( -2 ), but when I want to shoot the subject that is not in the center (at the side) in the large aperture 2.8, I do the focus and recompose, the image is not sharp and not in focus. I understand the aperture is F2.8 and somehow the focus is not accurate when you recompose the picture. Then I tried the live view, I focus the centre and it is very sharp, then I focus the side on LV and it is much better than recompose using the OVF but it is not as sharp as the centre, just wondering are all the lens only sharp at the centre and the quality is degrading far from the centre ?

Thanks
10-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #876
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Probably just field curvature ?
10-06-2021, 11:54 PM   #877
Forum Member

Hm...I noticed something similar: I didnīt "recompose" ... but I take one of the outer AF points: the image exact at this was totally soft. Nothing that could be explained, that the image wide open is only tack sharp in the center and softer on the outside....it was really off. And that several times. As the lens didnīt "understand" the AF command from the camera to focus NOT in the middle!

10-07-2021, 12:13 AM   #878

QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
Hm...I noticed something similar: I didnīt "recompose" ... but I take one of the outer AF points: the image exact at this was totally soft. Nothing that could be explained, that the image wide open is only tack sharp in the center and softer on the outside....it was really off. And that several times. As the lens didnīt "understand" the AF command from the camera to focus NOT in the middle!
the AF accuracy is based on the center point only, you can do the AF adjustment for the point which is outside the center but eventually it will affect the AF in the center
10-07-2021, 12:20 AM   #879
Pentaxian

So far reviews have suggested well controlled field curvature so it's likely to be something else. Is the lens sharp across the field wide open?
10-07-2021, 12:39 AM   #880
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
So far reviews have suggested well controlled field curvature so it's likely to be something else. Is the lens sharp across the field wide open?
In that respect, it seems pretty good in use so far. As I don't make a habit of shooting brick walls just for fun I can't give any more detail than that provided in the earlier sample shots.
10-07-2021, 12:51 AM   #881
Forum Member

"the AF accuracy is based on the center point only, you can do the AF adjustment for the point which is outside the center but eventually it will affect the AF in the center"
For sure in my understanding and not "eventually". It was in that way out of focus, that I would imagine a setup of maximum adjustment in the camera menu....and that would defocus the whole AF points.

And @house: yes when I take a picture - lets say of a wall (tipical test photo ;-) ) where everything lies in one distance, everything is sharp.
Sure with 2.8 a little bit softer at the corners - thatīs like everybody knows, normal.

But the scenario: take the face - or better eye of the person NOT in the center...use an outer dedicated AF point....and the face/eye is totally out of focus...makes me a little bit nervous.
Ok...Iīm not so deep in AF behavior of this cross type and NOT cross type AF points since the outer AF points are mostly NOT cross type.
But I tried many different kind of objects with clear visible contrast in vertical AND horizontal directions.
But: not to get in panic: this happens sometimes! But even "sometimes" for a 1499€ lens is not really acceptable.

Last edited by licht96; 10-07-2021 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spelling
10-07-2021, 01:02 AM   #882

"the AF accuracy is based on the center point only, you can do the AF adjustment for the point which is outside the center but eventually it will affect the AF in the center"
For sure in my understanding and not "eventually". It was in that way out of focus, that I would imagine a setup of maximum adjustment in the camera menu....and that would defocus the whole AF points.

And @house: yes when I take a picture - lets say of a wall (tipical test photo ;-) ) where everything lies in one distance, everything is sharp.
Sure with 2.8 a little bit softer at the corners - thatīs like everybody knows, normal.

But the scenario: take the face - or better eye of the person NOT in the center...use an outer dedicated AF point....and the face/eye is totally out of focus...makes me a little bit nervous.
Ok...Iīm not so deep in AF behavior of this cross type and NOT cross type AF points since the outer AF points are mostly NOT cross type.
But I tried many different kind of objects with clear visible contrast in vertical AND horizontal directions.
But: not to get in panic: this happens sometimes! But even "sometimes" for a 1499€ lens is not really acceptable.
Have you tried to use LV instead, use LV to focus the same object compared to OVF, see any difference
10-07-2021, 01:12 AM   #883
Pentaxian

Just to confirm it's not the camera. Do you other lenses behave better in the same scenario?
10-07-2021, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #884
Pentaxian

This, without offence, does not sound like a lens problem. Either you initiate a dedicated focus attempt with that dedicated point, then you should be able to see if it aquires focus or not. Or you have some automatic settings and the camera decided what should be in focus. Your statement might benefit from some exemplary images with full exif and/or a closer description of your settings and methodology.
10-07-2021, 02:56 AM   #885
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

For subject/human/eye focus you’ll need to use ’auto’ or A-21 mode in order to get focus correct. I’d say that AUTO mode does work best. I’v used sel- modes with not so good accuracy in terms of human being at the target. Especially the face. This is how Pentax recommended to use their Focus system.