Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I had a look - what a textbook example of kettle logic...

- the OVF is nice, but it doesn't keep up with eye tracking and 8k video
- AF will be improved, but the pandemic will slow it down
- here are 3 affiliated links where you could buy products and we'll make some money out of it
- Pentax releases K-mount lenses, but Sigma stopped
- it should be mirrorless. Every single d*mn camera should be a mirrorless
- more links toward Amazon. Buy! Buy! Buy!
Clear enough indeed

05-16-2020, 09:11 AM - 3 Likes   #182
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I like the fixed screen on my K3. Wouldn't complain about a tilt screen, but I think it's hilarious and sad people get so bent out of one feature or another. :/

Looking forward to a refresh over my K3!
Every time I shoot a macro with my K-1, I remember I'd be getting more enlargement with the K-3, if it only has a screen. But I take the K-1 just for the convenience of the screen.

K-1, clean pants no wearing muddy wet clothes home.

Since Aug. 20 2017 I have not one K-3 macro mushroom, (but over 150 k-1 images) even though I prefer the K-3 images for mushroom shots. All K-1 with many pixels shift images since I bought the K-1, just because of no tilt screen on the K-3.

I hope that helps understand how one person's trivial feature can make a difference to someone else.

I even bought both an XG-1 and a Lumix ZS100, to try and get way from the bulk of the K-1. Unfortunately they don' have tilting screens either. It took me two camera purchases to understand why I like the K-1 for macro. It's not about the IQ. It's about no kneeling in the mud.
05-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Every time I shoot a macro with my K-1, I remember I'd be getting more enlargement with the K-3, if it only has a screen. But I take the K-1 just for the convenience of the screen.

Since Aug. 20 2017 I have not one K-3 macro mushroom, (but over 150 k-1 images) even though I prefer the K-3 images for mushroom shots. All K-1 with many pixels shift images since I bought the K-1, just because of no tilt screen on the K-3.

I hope that helps understand how one person's trivial feature can make a difference to someone else.

I even bought both an XG-1 and a Lumix ZS100, to try and get way from the bulk of the K-1. Unfortunately they don' have tilting screens either. It took me two camera purchases to understand why I like the K-1 for macro. It's not about the IQ. It's about no kneeling in the mud.
I would indeed like a tilt screen for this kind of shot. I've thought about getting a K-70 or KP for a while for odd angle shots. A lot of time I use my camera as a dumb light box, so the downgrade in FPS etc from the K-70 doesn't matter at all to me, but the nicer sensor and tilt screen could be nice.
05-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #184
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dicki Quote
look in the videoconference at tilelap 28:43 min.
you like to see the new flip-screen.
It will be a very fine camera. I like it!
An they made a new batteriecrip. Super. Not like the mean one from k3.
I hope I can get a ltd-edition.

Here a picture again. I think i delete the others by myself. Excuse me, please.
I checked out the video at full screen. My interpretation of the image is that I'm seeing a reflection of the protruding viewfinder in the LCD, which at this very low angle is quite mirror-like. So I do NOT see a notch for pulling out a flippy screen.

Just to state my flippy screen requirements again, I think that the K-new SHOULD have a flippy screen, as I find them quite useful for low shots, shots from in crowds, and astro. At 70+, I find that flippy screens make camera usage, for MY needs, far more pleasant, and I don't have to pass up shots that would otherwise put me in awkward positions that are painful for me to get into and out of.

So, if the K-new does not have a flippy screen, and no other truly compelling features over my KP, I would probably get it if I were going on an African safari, along with a DFA 150-450. Otherwise, the KP would continue as my APS-C camera for X amount of time. Until conditions change.

05-16-2020, 09:50 AM - 4 Likes   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
I checked out the video at full screen. My interpretation of the image is that I'm seeing a reflection of the protruding viewfinder in the LCD, which at this very low angle is quite mirror-like. So I do NOT see a notch for pulling out a flippy screen.
For Pete's sake, there is no notch for pulling out any sort of a flippy screen! And no amount of twisting the camera around would make one appear!
We saw the camera from pretty much every angle. Yes, it's the protruding viewfinder, the eye sensor - those can't reasonably be mistaken for an articulated mechanism.

Just to state my flippy screen requirements again
Don't!
Flogging a dead horse won't give results, ever. Find another camera, or even another brand if you must - this one's screen is fixed.
05-16-2020, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #186
Pentaxian

So, if the K-new does not have a flippy screen, and no other truly compelling features over my KP
That cannot possibly happen.
The K-new is a flagship with a new AF system and improved tracking. It should run circles around the KP.
05-16-2020, 09:58 AM - 3 Likes   #187
Pentaxian

The K-new is a flagship with a new AF system and improved tracking. It should run circles around the KP.
...to admire itself in the flippy screen of the KP.

05-16-2020, 10:02 AM - 6 Likes   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Find another camera, or even another brand if you must - this one's screen is fixed.
But Ricoh might have produced several prototypes, each with specific features. They are keeping the other versions hidden for now.
  • Version 1 with NO flippy screen (the public version)
  • v. 2 WITH flippy screen
  • v. 3 with 'lunar lander' type movable screen
  • v. 4 NO flippy screen, NO mirror, single SD card slot
  • v. 5 NO flippy screen, WITH mirror, single SD card
  • v. 6 WITH flippy screen, NO mirror, 2 card slots
  • v.7 NO flippy screen, WITH mirror, M42 mount, 55mm f/1.8 kit lens (the retro version)
I'm sure that Ricoh will reveal all in due course.

- Craig

Sorry to be flippant, but couldn't resist.

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-16-2020 at 10:13 AM.
05-16-2020, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It can. An F1 car running circles around a high-end commercial car is irrelevant if the user doesn't want to go faster than a bike. If you never use AF.C, or if you don't run into the buffer/framerate limits, the K-new won't have compelling improvements.
05-16-2020, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
But Ricoh might have produced several prototypes, each with specific features. They are keeping the other versions hidden for now.
  • Version 1 with NO flippy screen (the public version)
  • v. 2 WITH flippy screen
  • v. 3 with 'lunar lander' type movable screen
  • v. 4 NO flippy screen, NO mirror, single SD card slot
  • v. 5 NO flippy screen, WITH mirror, single SD card
  • v. 6 WITH flippy screen, NO mirror, 2 card slots
  • v.7 NO flippy screen, WITH mirror, M42 mount, 55mm f/1.8 kit lens (the retro version)
I'm sure that Ricoh will reveal all in due course.

- Craig

Sorry, couldn't resist.
K-newII will have GPS and Tilt screen. I can feel it.

It always takes them until the II version to get it right.
05-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I find the viewfinder a very strong message that Pentax is going to stick to the DSLR K mount, not go mirrorless, and market themselves that way. The lack of an extensible screen really looks like they are trying to keep the price down as far as possible......
We have no information about the price. How do you know it will be down? I hope they learned something from the launch of KP, which was launched at too high a price and then didn't sell very well, although it's an excellent camera. And that was when DSLRs still dominated the ILC market, not like now.
05-16-2020, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. GPS would probably be enabled with the new Fn Button and an eDial on the top LCD. So no button needed
  2. I felt like the camera we saw last winter was ready to be Announced at CP+ for spring release
  3. I bet the delay to this fall is to rework the molds for a tilt-able touch screen (sensor turns off screen)
  4. If wrong, I’ll bet every single person who whines about a tillable screen and GPS buys a K-new anyway

Last edited by monochrome; 05-16-2020 at 10:23 AM.
05-16-2020, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But I take the K-1 just for the convenience of the screen.

It's not about the IQ. It's about no kneeling in the mud.
I've got a better solution...

No pants = no muddy clothes
05-16-2020, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've got a better solution...

No pants = no muddy clothes
Maybe frozen body parts though.

Not to mention all the scratch I'd get fighting my way through the bush to get to those mushrooms.

But if you try it, how about a report?

I expect it typed in triplicate, on my desk in the morning.
05-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #195
Pentaxian

I suppose that we will have to wait and see about that flippyness. Who knows? There might be not something to pull, but rather push, and it will flip up 45 degree.
Closed Thread