Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
But Ricoh might have produced several prototypes, each with specific features. They are keeping the other versions hidden for now.
  • Version 1 with NO flippy screen (the public version)
  • v. 2 WITH flippy screen
  • v. 3 with 'lunar lander' type movable screen
  • v. 4 NO flippy screen, NO mirror, single SD card slot
  • v. 5 NO flippy screen, WITH mirror, single SD card
  • v. 6 WITH flippy screen, NO mirror, 2 card slots
  • v.7 NO flippy screen, WITH mirror, M42 mount, 55mm f/1.8 kit lens (the retro version)
I'm sure that Ricoh will reveal all in due course.

- Craig

Sorry to be flippant, but couldn't resist.
Lol. But, careful with that, you might start a rumor

I'll copy an answer from the other forum; apologies for being lazy:
If they planned for an articulated screen, they would want one on the prototypes so people could give them feedback. Look at the back of the camera: this wouldn't be a minor change, various elements would have to be re-positioned. Imagine a relatively thin frame around the LCD; there would be no room for the eye sensor, and the entire buttons group would have to be moved slightly to the right. A classic articulated screen is worse: the ports would interfere with the hinge.

05-16-2020, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
It can. An F1 car running circles around a high-end commercial car is irrelevant if the user doesn't want to go faster than a bike. If you never use AF.C, or if you don't run into the buffer/framerate limits, the K-new won't have compelling improvements.
No, it cannot - and you can't use incompetent photographers as an excuse.
An F1 car is something I won't be able to start (not without training). This says absolutely nothing about its performance.
The K-new will indeed run circles around the KP. This achievement won't be diminished if you only use it for - say - manual focused macrophotography... it would be overkill, a waste of money but the camera is no less capable.
05-16-2020, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
  1. GPS would probably be enabled with the new Fn Button and an eDial on the top LCD. So no button needed
  2. I felt like the camera we saw last winter was ready to be Announced at CP+ for spring release
  3. I bet the delay to this fall is to rework the molds for a tilt-able touch screen (sensor turns off screen)
  4. If wrong, I’ll bet every single person who whines about a tillable screen and GPS buys a K-new anyway
Indeed, we cannot say for certain it won't have GPS. It might not - e.g. the new viewfinder might need more space and the GPS had to go. OTOH GPS is more important to me than articulated screens.
No, there shouldn't be any delay for such a reason. Changing specs when a project is almost done is a sure way to kill it.
They carefully considered what kind of screen should be used long ago; and their decision was a fixed touchscreen.
05-16-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, it cannot - and you can't use incompetent photographers as an excuse.
An F1 car is something I won't be able to start (not without training). This says absolutely nothing about its performance.
The K-new will indeed run circles around the KP. This achievement won't be diminished if you only use it for - say - manual focused macrophotography... it would be overkill, a waste of money but the camera is no less capable.
You missed the point completely, read the post again. You said that the K-new "couldn't possibly not be a compelling upgrade". Compelling is the operative word. You can give me a K-1 camera with 30fps but if I have to pay even 100€ more than for the K-1 it will not be compelling in the slightest, because I haven't *once* been in a situation where I have been limited by the frame rate, and I will not be in the foreseeable future. It has nothing to do with competence.

05-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #215
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dicki Quote
look in the videoconference at tilelap 28:43 min.
you like to see the new flip-screen.
It will be a very fine camera. I like it!
An they made a new batteriecrip. Super. Not like the mean one from k3.
I hope I can get a ltd-edition.

Here a picture again. I think i delete the others by myself. Excuse me, please.
At the very least, this image refutes the claim that the little thingy at the bottom right of the screen is an optical illusion, as has been claimed when some earlier photos of the K-new were published. The horizontal slot at the very bottom is intriguing...
05-16-2020, 12:32 PM - 2 Likes   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
At the very least, this image refutes the claim that the little thingy at the bottom right of the screen is an optical illusion, as has been claimed when some earlier photos of the K-new were published. The horizontal slot at the very bottom is intriguing...
Sigh... no offense, but you guys must be hallucinating. You only see what you want to see.
The image, as all the others, shows a fixed screen.
05-16-2020, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What makes me shake my head are the K-3/5/7 owners that say lack of a movable screen is a deal breaker. Why is it a deal breaker now and when you purchased the K-3/5/7? Does the lack of the feature keep you from taking pictures with your current APS-C? What made you choose Pentax in the first place?

If you don't own Pentax my guess is it is better to focus on perceived or real negatives because if you focus on positives like image quality and performance and features per price most of the competition comes out behind.
There wasn't as much exposure to moveable LCD's back in the K-3/5/7 days. But now we see the K-S2/K-70/KP and K-1/mkII with them, and it becomes a de facto standard feature in the minds of folks.

Also, folks who used the aforementioned cameras and came to enjoy the moveable LCD are naturally disappointed they won't be able to upgrade to Pentax's best APS-C model without forgoing a feature they like.

05-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #218
bxf
Veteran Member

Sigh... no offense, but you guys must be hallucinating. You only see what you want to see.
The image, as all the others, shows a fixed screen.
I am not promoting the "must have a tilt-screen" argument, so no, I am not seeing what I want to see. I am seeing, without looking for it, a dark horizontal slit at the bottom. It MAY be a reflection of the viewfinder eyepiece, but I'm not betting on that. I also see what appears to be a small departure from the linear at the bottom right corner. It very, very much reminds me of the similar feature that was previously claimed to not exist, and that it was merely an illusion resulting from the angle/position that the shot was taken
05-16-2020, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am not promoting the "must have a tilt-screen" argument, so no, I am not seeing what I want to see. I am seeing, without looking for it, a dark horizontal slit at the bottom. It MAY be a reflection of the viewfinder eyepiece, but I'm not betting on that. I also see what appears to be a small departure from the linear at the bottom right corner. It very, very much reminds me of the similar feature that was previously claimed to not exist, and that it was merely an illusion resulting from the angle/position that the shot was taken
It is the eyepiece reflection at the top of the LCD, it's just that the camera is almost horizontal so it looks like it's at the bottom.
05-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Also, folks who used the aforementioned cameras and came to enjoy the moveable LCD are naturally disappointed they won't be able to upgrade to Pentax's best APS-C model without forgoing a feature they like.
SO if they've already built in a negative, a really useful one, what are they going to do to get us back to even Steven. SO far I has a strike against it, in all probability.

Does anyone actually believe they can improve the AF, the output pipeline, the time to clear the buffer, the FPS without significant added cost, a lot more system speed, some dedicated chips, meaning some significant cost increases?

They seem confident they have something... but in the models since the K-3 they have gone to smaller buffers, less FPS, slower throughput, with marginally improved AF. I'm mystified as to what they have they think will make it possible to remove features and still sell the camera.
05-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #221
Pentaxian

You are seeing what you want to see.
This is not something unknown, subject to guessing. Again, we've seen the camera from all angles. People had seen it live. That it has a fixed screen is a fact.

If what you're seeing was more than a reflection, you'd see it in all the other images. You don't. Guess why?

That "departure from the linear at the bottom right corner" is no more than a consequence of the button area being slightly raised. This was clearly seen in pictures. It is not debatable; it is a fact.

But, facts can't stand in front of reality denying.
05-16-2020, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #222
Pentaxian

The facts are, all we've seen are pre-preproduction models. One of which they said wasn't the final, and that there would be changes.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

QuoteQuote:
It is the eyepiece reflection at the top of the LCD, it's just that the camera is almost horizontal so it looks like it's at the bottom.
Despite that it's been spotted on every image of the camera, the only response is "it's not really there. Don't trust your eye, trust me."

The more logical conclusion is that there is something there, and we have to wait to find out what it's purpose is. The only guy who handled the camera said it wasn't protruding it was an indentation.. but we still don't know what it's for. And the one guy who's seen the camera said it was something, just not obvious what.

Interesting how these things get forgotten by those who wish to believe.

Last edited by normhead; 05-16-2020 at 01:19 PM.
05-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The facts are, all we've seen pre-preproduction models. One of which they said wasn't the final, and that there would be changes.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.
People are seeing things when looking at said pre-production models.

Actually, that's fine. Ricoh doesn't have to put any articulated screen on the K-new - those people will definitely be convinced there is one, perhaps even "use" it.
05-16-2020, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #224
Pentaxian

People are seeing things when looking at said pre-production models.

Actually, that's fine. Ricoh doesn't have to put any articulated screen on the K-new - those people will definitely be convinced there is one, perhaps even "use" it.
And the guy who handled it? He was seeing things too?

Now you're just getting offensive. Saying "those people" cost Don Cherry a job he'd held for 40 years.

Those people who keep saying "hey look, there's that thing that doesn't exist again" probably won't ever use the tilt screen if it's there. They're so convinced they are right.

How stupid do you want to get with this?

Making up nonsense to discredit people who don't agree with you doesn't really help your argument. It just makes you look desperate.
05-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #225
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's all play nice, folks, if you please
Closed Thread