Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 01:52 PM - 3 Likes   #226
Pentaxian

As a K-1 user, I already have a camera for low angle shots. If the K-new doesn't have a tilting screen, but is great for shooting action, then I won't complain about it if I were to add it to my kit.

Horses for courses.

05-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And the guy who handled it? He was seeing things too?

Now you're just getting offensive. Saying "those people" cost Don Cherry a job he'd held for 40 years.

Those people who keep saying "hey look, there's that thing that doesn't exist again" probably won't ever use the tilt screen if it's there. They're so convinced they are right.

How stupid do you want to get with this?

Making up nonsense to discredit people who don't agree with you doesn't really help your argument. It just makes you look desperate.
The guy who handled it saw the reality, obviously. He said:
"The camera was on display today in the Netherlands. Fixed screen as I saw it"

The incredible amount of reality denial that's going on is quite exasperating. The fact that people still believe it's debatable, on the prototypes shown. Ignoring all images but those with "favourable" angles - and even so, they have to imagine things.
And you say I look desperate?

Sorry, I don't want to be rude. But all the necessary proof was presented, several times, and completely ignored.

Last edited by Kunzite; 05-16-2020 at 01:59 PM.
05-16-2020, 01:56 PM - 5 Likes   #228
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fixed screen

Though I am very pleased with the screen on the K-1, please check the photos below. There really isn't a catch at the bottom to release the screen...
Attached Images

05-16-2020, 02:01 PM - 4 Likes   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO if they've already built in a negative, a really useful one, what are they going to do to get us back to even Steven. SO far I has a strike against it, in all probability.

Does anyone actually believe they can improve the AF, the output pipeline, the time to clear the buffer, the FPS without significant added cost, a lot more system speed, some dedicated chips, meaning some significant cost increases?

They seem confident they have something... but in the models since the K-3 they have gone to smaller buffers, less FPS, slower throughput, with marginally improved AF. I'm mystified as to what they have they think will make it possible to remove features and still sell the camera.
Don't all cameras have at least one shortcoming that makes people think, "Why didn't they..."?

To me, the thing that gets us back to "even Steven" is the 1.05x OVF. I don't know how often I articulated it on this forum, but since the development of a new APS-C camera was announced I have been thinking that the killer feature for me would be a better OVF, but I thought they would not actually do it. But they did.

In retrospect, I can even see how Ricoh foreshadowed this. In their interview with Dave Etchells of Imaging-Resource last year, the Ricoh rep emphasized the experience of looking through an OVF, and how that experience would lead some folks who migrated to MILC back to DSLR. It leads one to wonder what is in store for the K-1 II successor...

Another feature I'm hoping for: a softer, smoother-sounding shutter. My K-5 II sounded sublime. I can't say that the shutter in my K-3 II is necessarily louder, but it definitely does not sound as refined.

I'm on team I Want An Articulating LCD, but I actually rank the larger OVF and smoother shutter as things that appeal to me more.

05-16-2020, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It seems that Ricoh wants to make best DSLRs, since that's all they do they do in this format why not. I wonder what other little surprises there might be besides the optical VF.
05-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-new has a fixed screen. Reason being ergonomics.

A movable screen takes up more room and as a consequence it compromises the button layout of the ASP-C sized camera. This is less of a problem with the K-1 as it is a larger camera. The K-new also has to accommodate a focus point adjustment control.

It is designed for quick and dynamic uses such as sports and birding etc.

For more agricultural applications such as macro etc, Ricoh provide a large range of camera options with movable screens.

Take your pick!
05-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #232
Pentaxian

OK ... well I'm prepared to accept the K-'new' may not have a flip-screen ... but please, what function could the little recess in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen serve other than a "catch-point" for a finger-nail?? It's been obvious (to me) since the initially-released pictures, but I can't think what other purpose it would serve.

Attached Images

05-16-2020, 02:18 PM - 2 Likes   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
OK ... well I'm prepared to accept the K-'new' may not have a flip-screen ... but please, what function could the little recess in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen serve other than a "catch-point" for a finger-nail?? It's been obvious (to me) since the initially-released pictures, but I can't think what other purpose it would serve.
It's not a 'catch-point' it's not a magic flippy screen. It's been pointed out time after time that it's the drop from the raised side with buttons to the screen. Maybe you've got the perspective wrong, that's the top corner of the screen, not the bottom corner....
05-16-2020, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #234
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but I can't think what other purpose it would serve.
That is where the body contours. It is the transition between the dead flat touch screen and the curved body. The body curves up to the next level where the controls are.
Check out the rear windscreen on cars. They often do the same.

Last edited by BROO; 05-16-2020 at 02:37 PM.
05-16-2020, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a design remant from the hinge of the originally-planned tilting LCD screen.

05-16-2020, 02:23 PM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It's not a 'catch-point' it's not a magic flippy screen. It's been pointed out time after time that it's the drop from the raised side with buttons to the screen. Maybe you've got the perspective wrong, that's the top corner of the screen, not the bottom corner....
You're probably right ... I often get the perspective wrong ... but what is the little feature in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen for?

---------- Post added 05-16-20 at 02:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's a design remant from the hinge of the originally-planned tilting LCD screen.

That could be it !!
05-16-2020, 02:28 PM - 6 Likes   #237
Veteran Member

You're probably right ... I often get the perspective wrong ... but what is the little feature in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen for?
There isn't one!

Maybe these labels will help, do you see how it's stepped up from the screen to where the buttons are?

05-16-2020, 02:29 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen a few mentions of a touch screen, and I have to ask, "Is this a good thing?"

It seems my screen already gets plenty smeary from just touching my face when I am using the viewfinder. Why do I want to add to that by trying to touch buttons on the screen as though it were my iPhone?

I know I am old, but I am always open to new technology and techniques. But I need help understanding the benefits of a touch screen.
05-16-2020, 02:30 PM - 3 Likes   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

05-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I have seen a few mentions of a touch screen, and I have to ask, "Is this a good thing?"

It seems my screen already gets plenty smeary from just touching my face when I am using the viewfinder. Why do I want to add to that by trying to touch buttons on the screen as though it were my iPhone?

I know I am old, but I am always open to new technology and techniques. But I need help understanding the benefits of a touch screen.
I don't see any benefits to a touch screen either, but it doesn't harm if it can be permanently turned off and still be able to do everything easily with the buttons, like Pentax as we know it.
Closed Thread