Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rekon if it had a tilt screen... it would have been tilted by now, either in images or in that video, just sayin... I mean... who can resist flipping a flippy screen

05-16-2020, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #272

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
who can resist flipping a flippy screen
The guy that heads the design team that built the prototype?
05-16-2020, 05:16 PM   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How can the Flagship not have GPS. And a tilting LCD?
It will seemingly have features such as much improved AF tracking, high number of AF points, improved ergonomics (as a result of it NOT having a flippy screen) improved frames per second, bigger buffer, dual card slots, larger battery and enhanced OVF. (compared to KP)

I wonder if it will have the newly patented focusing screen?

For me that is enough to be the ship that carries the Pentax flag in the ASP-C sphere.
05-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
According to the video, a "special glass material that excels in refraction, but is harder to process" will be used, so presumably that will at least partially mitigate the light-loss penalty of the increased magnification.
Thanks. From what I gather, much of the light loss at the screen still occurs as a result of diffusion by the etched surface, even though laser etching improved that considerably late in the early 1980s, so it remains to be seen how much another type of glass will help. I suppose reduced reflectivity would help.

A real breakthrough in DSLRs would be an auto-calibration process to prevent focussing errors.

05-16-2020, 05:25 PM   #275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
It will seemingly have features such as much improved AF tracking, high number of AF points, improved ergonomics (as a result of it NOT having a flippy screen) improved frames per second, bigger buffer, dual card slots, larger battery and enhanced OVF. (compared to KP)

I wonder if it will have the newly patented focusing screen?

For me that is enough to be the ship that carries the Pentax flag in the ASP-C sphere.
You understand that, and I understand that, but I predict a constant refrain of “Not a Flagship” criticism.
05-16-2020, 05:25 PM - 4 Likes   #276
Veteran Member

I read a rumour that the Knew sensor shift is so radical it doesn't need a movable screen.... you move the sensor with the joy stick..... to photograph mushrooms whist star gazing. I can't find a link to the source now though..... (please... no complaints).

PS... only good cat is a dead cat (so said the pygmy possum or was it the bandicoot...?)

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-16-2020 at 05:34 PM.
05-16-2020, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #277
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Or the cost accountant who tells them they can’t have it.

05-16-2020, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't be daft, the will power to resist a flip is beyond the humane genome!
05-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #279
Pentaxian

who can resist flipping a flippy screen
Its being kept secret,how the screen moves.Remember back to the screen on the 2016 K-1.
05-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #280
Veteran Member

I am a little disappointed by the video. They spent so much time talking about the OVF and not much about anything else. How about more detail on the sensor? How about AF?
Maybe I was expecting too much.
05-16-2020, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
I am a little disappointed by the video. They spent so much time talking about the OVF and not much about anything else. How about more detail on the sensor? How about AF?
Nah yer not wrong, I think the whole web conference was unnecessary and a waste of time. They could have simply announced the forth coming lenses in a press release and be done. I had a feeling the K-new guy was awkward and doing something 'he didn't want to' and knew it was going to be hard to talk about the camera and not give too much away, they clearly want to release its features in a controlled manner and not like this...

Pentax are being really cagey about lots of things. I dunno if this is just the Pentax way or whether its a sign that a lot of things they want to do (faster aperture or certain new and impressive camera features) are not quite there yet and do not want to cement that the new camera will do x when in fact 6 months from now they decide it can't and have to leave it out. I suspect that is the reason, it's still early days, but doing things like this keeps a presence in the publics eye that they are NOT doomed like everyone wishes and that they are in fact still alive and kicking, working silently in the dark.
05-16-2020, 08:38 PM - 2 Likes   #282
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm guessing they don't really want to give too much away pre-launch. That body looks production ready, so hopefully more will be revealed soon.
05-16-2020, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
They basically spoke about the physical attributes of the camera. OVF, battery grip, protruding eye piece, ergonomics.
I think they did that to deliberately avoid discuss specs. They did mention that the AF tracking will be improved though.

Last edited by BROO; 05-16-2020 at 10:28 PM.
05-16-2020, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #284
Pentaxian

Somehow one waits the moment in these videos where guy who has the camera, put on the lens points the camera, and shoots. If it has grip, he changes to that and squeezes that trigger again. Then while holding the camera he swipe the screen and looks through the images. Then repeat with burst mode. After that there should be little grin/almost like a smile on the face. But no. This case it could have led to some changes in desing team.
05-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #285
Veteran Member

That's an easy statement to be made. It should be improved after how many years? I want details! *Slams fist on table* 3D tracking? AI? How many focus points? Can it track a fly at 100m away? People want to know! 🙂

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
They did mention that the AF tracking will be improve though.

---------- Post added 05-17-2020 at 12:02 AM ----------

Hopefully they can get all the features in place for release this year. I don't want to see a half-hearted effort or result and then have to wait for the K-newII.

Pentax are being really cagey about lots of things. I dunno if this is just the Pentax way or whether its a sign that a lot of things they want to do (faster aperture or certain new and impressive camera features) are not quite there yet and do not want to cement that the new camera will do x when in fact 6 months from now they decide it can't and have to leave it out. I suspect that is the reason, it's still early days, but doing things like this keeps a presence in the publics eye that they are NOT doomed like everyone wishes and that they are in fact still alive and kicking, working silently in the dark.
Closed Thread