Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2020, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New APS-C is

1.05x magnification on the optical viewfinder just like a K-1. Slicker Pentaprism or whatever, Joystick design is different little bit. Viewfinder has a sensor to brighten or darken something.. A new battery grip. Better subject tracking..
No other info. :-(

Last edited by shardulm; 05-14-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Typos
05-14-2020, 09:17 PM - 15 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No articulating screen. Sigh. Why cripple the usability of a "flagship" in such a capricious way? It baffles me that a feature that many photographers need, me too, is absent for no good reason.
05-14-2020, 09:22 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I rarely ever use the articulating screen on the K-1 unless I am doing a macro shot laying the camera and myself down on the bare floor. Yes it is very helpful then. But prefer the optical viewfinder almost always otherwise.
05-14-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
1.05x magnification on the optical viewfinder just like a K-1. Slicker Pentaprism or whatever, Joystick design is different little bit. Viewfinder has a sensor to brighten or darken something.. A new battery grip. Better subject tracking..
No other info. :-(
Could you post the source of this information, please? Is it an official Ricoh communication or ... ?

05-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Could you post the source of this information, please? Is it an official Ricoh communication or ... ?
CP+2020 ?????????PENTAX?? ---Introducing PENTAX products currently in development--- - YouTube
05-14-2020, 09:27 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
No articulating screen. Sigh. Why cripple the usability of a "flagship" in such a capricious way? It baffles me that a feature that many photographers need, me too, is absent for no good reason.
They didn’t reveal all kinds of things about the K-new. We really don’t know that answer yet - and we all know part of their ethic is creating buzz by surprising people on actual announcement.,

Exactly.
05-14-2020, 09:43 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

"1.05x magnification on the optical viewfinder just like a K-1."

What do you mean "just like a K-1"?

Such a viewfinder magnification is unheard of for an APS-C camera!

For some, an important perk of an FF camera is the higher viewfinder magnification. Now the same (probably not quite as bright) experience is available for APS-C users. That is remarkable!

05-14-2020, 09:51 PM - 5 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Their promised video.

---------- Post added 05-15-20 at 12:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

For some, an important perk of an FF camera is the higher viewfinder magnification. Now the same (probably not quite as bright) experience is available for APS-C users. That is remarkable!

No no no. Don't get me wrong. Just like the superb K-1 viewfinder is what I meant.
05-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you!
05-14-2020, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He was actually very cagey and gave away nothing. Not confirming or denying anything at this point in time. We basically none the wiser, clearly they still deep in testing and not confident to announce certain features missing or never seen before (*cough hybrid OVF/EVF cough*) till it's working at a level they feel comfortable with offering to the market.
05-14-2020, 10:33 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They didn’t reveal all kinds of things about the K-new. We really don’t know that answer yet - and we all know part of their ethic is creating buzz by surprising people on actual announcement.
Pretty much, unlike pretty much all the other Dslr companys who upcoming cameras are pretty much "leaked" like 6+ months in advanced before being "officially" announced, any "leaks" on upcoming Pentax dslr's are usually followed by an official announcement like a few days after
05-14-2020, 10:40 PM - 6 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

APS-C is interesting again with new 16-50, 11-18 and a very well rounded new body. K new is more than a tele converter for K1. Perfect viewfinder, new standard zoom and a bunch of not yet revealed features look very nice!

FF is getting two new lenses. 85 is long expected, a new Ltd series starting with a 21 is also nice, but not a * lens. Ltd and * will be offered in parallel in the future which makes sense. Large & bright * lenses and a small, nice set of Ltds. I would expect a *24 and revamped FA ltds in the future. This is the answer to the question whether we will see a *f/1.4 line only or a Ltd f/2ish line. We will get both!

Overall the products represent a very high degree of quality, nothing cheap and easy here only serious products. This is a smart way of filling up APS-C lenses and FF gaps.

No news in tele land.
05-14-2020, 10:49 PM - 5 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

K-1 viewfinder magnification: 0.7x.

0.7 x 1.5 (APS-C factor) = 1.05

By the way, the viewfinders in Nikon D500 and Canon EOS 7D Mark II have a 1x magnification (K-3, K-3 II and KP: 0.95x).
05-14-2020, 11:38 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
I rarely ever use the articulating screen on the K-1
Seconded. I rarely ever use it. Next topic is video. I NEVER use it.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
No news in tele land.
That's why I'm glad that I bought DA560 and regret that I didn't buy Sigma 500 f/4.5 at the right time. I hate to say it but tele seems to be no priority for Ricoh/Pentax anymore.
05-14-2020, 11:40 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I know they didn't specifically mention a movable screen in the video, but the K-70, KP, and K-1 (& ii) have all been released with some form of movable, tilt-able, pivot-able, or articulated screen.

While it is pure speculation, it doesn't seem to make sense that Pentax would go back to a fixed screen for what they regard as their flagship APSC camera. If they can have a movable screen in the "lower end" K-70, why would they not have one in the K(new APSC)?

I suppose stranger things have happened, but it doesn't seem to me that they'd go backwards.

Possibly in favor of a fixed screen is the discussion about the OVF extending 3mm beyond the level of the screen. There's no visibility of a pivot screen, but maybe the model is dummied up to keep some secrets still?

Maybe it is just my wish list that is keeping the movable screen on the table ... in my mind. I just cannot see them dropping it after all recent releases have had one.
Closed Thread