Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2020, 01:34 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
No articulating screen. Sigh. Why cripple the usability of a "flagship" in such a capricious way? It baffles me that a feature that many photographers need, me too, is absent for no good reason.

Totally agree. K-1 Articulating screen has helped me a lot.

05-15-2020, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I know they didn't specifically mention a movable screen in the video, but the K-70, KP, and K-1 (& ii) have all been released with some form of movable, tilt-able, pivot-able, or articulated screen.

While it is pure speculation, it doesn't seem to make sense that Pentax would go back to a fixed screen for what they regard as their flagship APSC camera. If they can have a movable screen in the "lower end" K-70, why would they not have one in the K(new APSC)?

I suppose stranger things have happened, but it doesn't seem to me that they'd go backwards. .
Disagree - I have used moveable screen once in the 18 months I have had my KP.
05-15-2020, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Seconded. I rarely ever use it. Next topic is video. I NEVER use it.
The funny part is that people like you really not need to use either articulated screen or video mode, but some people might need one of them, or both. So it's nothing wrong if one can use such a thing in FLAGSHIP camera, don't you think?

QuoteQuote:
That's why I'm glad that I bought DA560 and regret that I didn't buy Sigma 500 f/4.5 at the right time. I hate to say it but tele seems to be no priority for Ricoh/Pentax anymore.
Well, we have 300/4, DA560 and DFA 150-450... With new APS-C model and its improved AF tracking that's gives us equivalent of 450mm to 840mm, rather slow, but that's better than nothing - for many years 300mm (or 450equivalent) was all we were able to buy non-second hand...
05-15-2020, 02:11 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superpowerpinger Quote
Articulating screen has helped me a lot.
Me too. Many folk won't find a use for it but depending on your type of photography it can be invaluable.

I recently took pictures of flowers in my garden with a f1.2 lens. Focus was absolutely critical here. The camera was hand held about a foot off the ground. Using Live view with the screen fully extended and zoomed 100%, I was able to focus by moving the camera backwards and forwards. Also on a tripod at either a high extension or a low one the screen can be articulated so one can frame and focus accurately without giving yourself a sore neck !

05-15-2020, 02:15 AM - 4 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

The presentation of the new APS-C was a decription/explanation of the external characteristics that would be obvious when viewing the camera under glass in CP+. I love the effort they put on the OV as when I try to use manual focus lenses on my K-5IIs after mounting them on my K-1, is a terrible experience!

About the "internals" of the camera, the two comments about satisfying AF-tracking performance and that the new DA* 16-50/2.8 PLM with the new camera will provide a superb fast system, are what I wanted to hear!

I know that Pentax can't satisfy every Pentaxian and DSLR user in general (tilt screen, video performance, MILC, etc etc), but my mentality and priorities are matching the Pentax strategy and that is a wonderful thing!

In fact I'm in for the all 4 new products they announced! The APS-C and the 21ltd are my priorites and then the DFA* 85/1.4, but that DA* 16-50/2.8 with PLM and the reknown * quality is so appealing to the APS-C users! Great job Ricoh/Pentax!
05-15-2020, 02:19 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

I love what the new optical viewfinder promises!! I currently have viewfinder loupes on both my K-3II's, so perhaps I could do without on this one? Or have an even bigger VF with the loupe...

Great about the AF point selector, esp its presence on the grip as well. My small hands will appreciate!!

The eye sensor is not so useful for me since I shut off the LCD screen much of the time anyway. Perhaps this will help me appreciate the LCD screen for changing settings a bit more? I'll give it a go and see what gives, once I get the camera.

I'm sure more features will be announced prior to release. They need to have something to talk about or to attract attention in upcoming announcements...

PS: I'm in the camp that doesn't care too much about articulating screens and doesn't care at all about video.
05-15-2020, 02:36 AM   #22
Forum Member

I don’t see a live view button. Am I just missing it?

05-15-2020, 02:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
No articulating screen. Sigh. Why cripple the usability of a "flagship" in such a capricious way? It baffles me that a feature that many photographers need, me too, is absent for no good reason.
I think "need" is too strong, given that such a thing was never available in film cameras, the closest being a WLVF I suppose, and for quite a while in digital. I'm a fan of tilting screens, having initially been sceptical of the hardiness of them, and I use them extensively on my Fujifilm cameras, but I can mange with my K-3 just fine without one. If I really need to, I have an attachment which lets me see the viewfinder at 90º, and they're not that uncommon.

The new viewfinder could be great for manual focusing and will certainly provide a more involved shooting experience, though surely not on the level of a good film SLR.
05-15-2020, 02:41 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadBill Quote
I don’t see a live view button. Am I just missing it?
It's to the right of the viewfinder
05-15-2020, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am very interested in this new camera. It might be easy to underestimate the improvement that the bigger OVF will make, but compare a K1000 VF to that of the MX, which is bigger, brighter and clearer, and the advantage is obvious.

Here's a thought: why would Ricoh add 3mm to the viewfinder eyepiece just to prevent nose grease on the LCD? It seems like massive over-engineering unless a) 3mm extra is needed to enlarge the OVF image, or b) an extra 3mm creates extra space for an articulating screen ...

It doesn't matter to me whether it articulates or not (none of my cameras have ever had one), but it's a thought.
05-15-2020, 02:54 AM   #26
Forum Member

I see the play button For viewing recorded images to the right of the view finder. I don’t see a button with the letters LV.
05-15-2020, 03:17 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
(...)

Maybe it is just my wish list that is keeping the movable screen on the table ... (...)
May be...
05-15-2020, 03:21 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadBill Quote
I see the play button For viewing recorded images to the right of the view finder. I don’t see a button with the letters LV.
It's on the marked dial next to the monochrome LCD.
05-15-2020, 03:41 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm actually really pleased that they're improving the viewfinder in the new model. I find the viewfinder on the K3 a bit dark and "cramped". I used a friend's Nikon at one point and I found the focusing screen much easier to use and the viewfinder seemed brighter. I think people are complaining about the lack of specs, but honestly a focus on things like the tracking ability of the AF is of great interest to me, because I like to photograph wildlife and aircraft. I'm really not unhappy with the resolution of the K3 except that with the DFA 150-450 I can see that there's more resolution from the lens than the megapixels of the K3 can capture, which is a little frustrating. The battery grip sounds really useful, rather than simply extending battery life. It would be especially handy for portrait photographers. I shoot more in landscape than portrait. So regardless of the absence of specs, I do like the sound of a camera with an improved viewfinder, improved AF and improved ergonomics. I especially like the eye detection because in low light, the LCD display is really annoying unless you go to the hassle of turning it off. A possible reason for the lack of specs is because they're waiting for a new Sony sensor. I'm seldom disappointed by the megapixels of the K3, but the noise above 800ISO and the fact that the processor can't keep up with continuous AF while shooting at high speed makes for frustration when trying to catch action in airshows and wildlife.
05-15-2020, 03:42 AM - 4 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apas Quote
The funny part is that people like you really not need to use either articulated screen or video mode, but some people might need one of them, or both. So it's nothing wrong if one can use such a thing in FLAGSHIP camera, don't you think?
A flagship camera needs what flagship users need - not everything.
I understand some users need a built-in flash - but are those primarily flagship users?
I understand some users need a GPS - but are those primarily flagship users?
I understand some users need video - but are those primarily flagship users?
I understand some users need articulating screen - but are they mostly video users/

A flagship camera should have some features - but Pentax has to choose the best subset for this camera.
Closed Thread