Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I have never used an articulating screen but there have been times where I think it would have been nice.

An alternative would be the ability to use my phone as a 2nd display via blue tooth
I can already use my iPhone to display what my KP is seeing.

05-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #77
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
They really make a point of saying optical viewfinder a number of times. It’s possible that is some polite signalling that there is no hybrid viewfinder.
Not only that, but I think they were more politely putting their foot down in telling everyone Pentax is still a Penta-prism based brand. So all the people screaming for mirrorless K mount bodies will stop. But they won't.
05-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The point is not whether Pentax AF is worse. It's whether it's worse enough that the average photographer needs to spend a noticeable amount of effort/time to get satisfactory results. In my case, it doesn't hold me back:
Have the people complaining about AF used the latest Pentax products on the market??
The AF on my KP meets my needs.

Last edited by reh321; 05-15-2020 at 11:34 AM.
05-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use articulating screen about 30% of the time on K-1 but very little on KP (which is my snapshot / travel camera).

05-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #80
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Have the people complaining about AF used the latest Pentax products on the market??
The AF on my KP meets my needs.
Have you operated a D500 or even 7DII level body??

I think you have lesser requirements. And there is nothing wrong with that, but they don't constitute the whole (nor vice versa).
05-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I agree with all you say except it seems the flip screen was indeed super useful for low ground shots (or high above head shots) in framing. The viewfinder isn't going to be used in those scenarios and buying (and lugging) a field monitor seems like a laughable work around.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I agree with mee for once, if the final version has no tiltable screen, I'll be waiting for the K-newII and hoping it has one. I was using the K-3 for outdoor macro yesterday, what a royal pain in the butt.
I have used K-1 screen for things like that and I had K-3 and it had fixed screen. I can still remember me going for K-1 flippy rotating thing like !!! wow! it is handy. But it is not that handy at all times. overhead shots I usually shoot with 'feeling' (pointing that way, and click). Only time enjoying flippy thing is waislevel/down and low macro. I'm still standing behind my fieldmonitor idea(going to buy one when money allows), but it has more to do with the thing that I want something bigger than normal flippy screen. One could indeed use even smartphone. But hey! that is just me
05-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcleary47 Quote

You sound like you are old, stubborn, and stuck in your ways
Someone could turn that comment around on you very easily.

05-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I have used K-1 screen for things like that and I had K-3 and it had fixed screen. I can still remember me going for K-1 flippy rotating thing like !!! wow! it is handy. But it is not that handy at all times. overhead shots I usually shoot with 'feeling' (pointing that way, and click). Only time enjoying flippy thing is waislevel/down and low macro. I'm still standing behind my fieldmonitor idea(going to buy one when money allows), but it has more to do with the thing that I want something bigger than normal flippy screen. One could indeed use even smartphone. But hey! that is just me
The problem with using a smartphone is that you need an accessory (an articulating arm) to hold the phone unless the camera is tripod-mounted.
05-15-2020, 11:56 AM - 14 Likes   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It never ceases to amuse me how, in any thread discussing any new Pentax camera, the same few posters will appear, make the same few statements about its failings and omissions, the same regular posters will make the same rebuttal arguments, and somebody will get in a (*&)%^ match with Norm. It has been this way for a decade.

Pentax is Pentax. Deal with it. Accept it. Embrace it. Or get a camera that meets your needs and makes you happy..
05-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Have you operated a D500 or even 7DII level body??

I think you have lesser requirements. And there is nothing wrong with that, but they don't constitute the whole (nor vice versa).
The point was, if you were using older gear, the differences may not be as dramatic as they once were.
05-15-2020, 12:05 PM - 3 Likes   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ephotozine has some proper product images of all items.
Pentax Announce Multiple New Lenses 21mm Limited, 16-50mm, New Roadmap | ePHOTOzine
05-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Am I mistaken but does the previously blank button on the back upper left now has a padlock symbol stenciled on it?

(...)
You are not and yes, it does.
05-15-2020, 12:39 PM - 2 Likes   #88

I've had a K-7 and still use a K-3. Love that camera and my 20-40 + 50-135. The ergonomics is just right for me and the rugged body with weather sealing has my heart.

I've been looking at a X-T30 lately for a compact, lightweight camera with great video and AF. But it feels like a toy. Been checking to see if Pentax would release something new this year before changing over.

Let's wait and see what it can do! I certainly won't leave Pentax without seeing what this new camera is made of.
05-15-2020, 12:45 PM - 4 Likes   #89

It's nice that the battery grip has the "joystick". Also note the padlock symbol on previously unlabeled button that garnered so much speculation.

Earlier prototype (ignore the box and arrow although the body contour is unchanged):

Mr. Wakashiro gave a nutshell explanation of their design philosophy and goals:

"Starting with the PENTAX K-7, we have designed all APS-C flagships to be compact, durable and functional, while packaging top grade performance in a small body."

These are many of the reasons why PENTAX users choose and own PENTAX cameras. Another reason
is the price for image quality performance and features compared to other brands. In these areas you tend to get more for your money.

Unfortunately keeping within a design philosophy and end price tiers requires compromises. If Ricoh were to design a camera that has every single feature that people "want/need" it would so cumbersome and expensive no PENTAX aficionado would want to use it or afford to buy it or would constantly be in the design phase as more and more features are added.
05-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Additionally, note how the third dial (plus the corresponding S.Fn button) is present in the battery grip as well. Very well thought out!
Closed Thread