Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #106
Veteran Member

A simple articulating screen certainly makes things easier when shooting lower and higher subjects hand held. A simple tilt screen like the MX-1 digital has wouldn't hurt this new body. I have often taken advantage of the K-1 articulating screen but it does make the K-1 bigger than it already is.

Shooting from a tripod using a smart device works even better than an articulating screen. With the device controlling the camera for Macro work you don't ever have to touch the camera while making the exposure. The lack of an articulating screen isn't without a substitute but still doesn't make up for such handheld capture.

This is great news for the future OVF. If they can revamp the APS-C OVF as such the next FF viewfinder hopefully will see the same improvement.

The best news of all is the D-FA 21 LTD. From the size it may be ƒ 2.8. Still to come is the D-FA large aperture wide angle per the lens roadmap. A compact D-FA 28mm ƒ2 LTD WR should be a good candidate for the comments the interviewer asked about future more compact lenses. 28mm fits well for both FF and APS-C. If the D-FA 21 LTD is ƒ3.2 or ƒ 4 and the larger size is due to the focus motor I would rather see a smaller lens with screw drive.

05-15-2020, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It never ceases to amuse me how, in any thread discussing any new Pentax camera, the same few posters will appear, make the same few statements about its failings and omissions, the same regular posters will make the same rebuttal arguments, and somebody will get in a (*&)%^ match with Norm. It has been this way for a decade.
The solution is obvious: these posters – perhaps with Norm as moderator – should start a thread entitled "Why I won't buy a K-New" and continue from there. That sounds a familiar concept...

I just hope when the K-new is released, I can find a dealer who stocks the thing, so I can paw it without other voices yelling "It hasn't got a... It doesn't do... It's got the wrong name... Toby Jarhead says it needs bigger...!!"

Last edited by StiffLegged; 05-15-2020 at 02:16 PM.
05-15-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So over here I'm feeling pretty positive and excited about everything- yes, even while I wish it would end up with an articulating LCD, like many others, and saying so. But according to a lot of participants here, that either makes me "a complainer" or an inferior photographer (somehow). As opposed to someone just trying to have a rational conversation. And they seem to think they're the positive ones.

Yeesh.

Every camera design is a compromise. Why talk about future products at all if we're not going to talk about our hopes for them, even if they might not all be realized?
05-15-2020, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
True. Yet it was more functional to have the screen attached to the camera body. Especially when hand holding the camera in an awkward angle. It seems like it would be a bit more difficult to do with a smartphone in one hand and a camera in the other.
I agree with you on this. I get a lot of use from the articulation on the K1 screen. Pretty much, if I am using live view, the screen is out from the body.
Using a cell phone as a screen means, for me, also carrying a battery based charger for the phone as well as a charging cable.
I wonder if it would be possible for the hot shoe to act as a power source for a phone. Attaching the phone to a hot shoe adaptor would put it in a reasonable location, it could be articulated on a mount, and use the camera to keep the battery from discharging. I don't like to have a dead battery in my phone, especially if I am out in the middle of nowhere.

05-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Every camera design is a compromise. Why talk about future products at all if we're not going to talk about our hopes for them, even if they might not all be realized?
Of course it is. That makes no sense in trying to find a "fault" - one would always be able to find one - instead of seeing what the camera can do for you.
And, the screen is fixed. There's that thing about beating a dead horse...
05-15-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #111
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
most up to date info I can find on the K new:

QuoteQuote:
New Pentax Flagship APS-C DSLR
Rumors about a successor to the Pentax K-3 II have now been circulating for years, and are second only to the rumors of a Pentax full-frame prior to the launch of the K-1.

Finally, last September, Ricoh unveiled the new (and still unnamed) Pentax APS-C flagship. Today, we got to learn more about it.

As with the K-7, K-5, and K-3 before it, this camera is designed to deliver top-grade performance in a small body. Yet, Pentax remains committed to the DSLR shooting experience rather than mirrorless: to that end, this camera has gotten something truly unique when it comes to its viewfinder.

The new flagship's viewfinder magnification will be a whopping 1.05x, which will make the viewfinder image appear just as large as that of the full-frame K-1, which has a 0.70x magnification (this is an increase from 0.95x on the K-3). Wakashiro said that tremendous engineering effort when into making this possible, as the entire viewfinder design had to be re-done. In addition, an eye sensor will dim the rear LCD, and the viewfinder eyepiece now protrudes by an extra 3mm to make using it more comfortable.

While these viewfinder improvements may not be the high-tech hybrid viewfinder or eye-tracking AF features that have been the subject of speculation, they allow Pentax to deliver a traditional shooting experience that no other manufacturer is currently focusing on.

Speaking of technology, although Wakashiro did not elaborate on the exact specifications, he did state the the camera would bring enhanced burst shooting and tracking performance, and that users should have "high expectations".

We speculate that considerable attention was given to improving autofocus, not only because of extensive user feedback, but because the new camera now has a dedicated focus point selection joystick (rather than relying on the 4-way controller to double for this role).

In the video, a significant amount of time was spent discussing the prism design of the new camera, which pays tribute to legacy film SLRs while sporting a slightly more streamlined look than the K-1 (the first DSLR to feature this design).

Finally, we learned that the new camera will have an available battery grip, with the corresponding new control layout and a custom-tailored ergonomic design.

The camera is still scheduled for a 2020 launch, although Pentax admits that there are some coronavirus-related risk factors in the supply chain that could affect the timeline. However, all efforts will be made to stick to the 2020 launch.

Read more at: Pentax Product Updates for CP+ 2020 - Trade Shows | PentaxForums.com

a " tip of the hat " to the PF staff
05-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Of course it is. That makes no sense in trying to find a "fault" - one would always be able to find one - instead of seeing what the camera can do for you.
And, the screen is fixed. There's that thing about beating a dead horse...
That's the problem. Normal expression of hopes and preferences is interpreted as a single-minded attempt to "find fault", and then blamed for "negativity." There is more nuance than that. We don't all have to form little clubs of "complainers" who supposedly can't see the good in a camera and "true believers" who blow up over "it would be nice if-."

I mean, that's conversation on the internet, of course. I don't recall that folks were this jacked up about things here a decade ago but maybe that's why I take such long breaks from the "news and rumors" forums.

05-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #113

I take a look to this video again (my english is bad, excuse me!)
And I see some tings.
look here:
The body in the Film first:

the display is no glass, is looks like a plastic dummy. And the button left side have a sign.

In the audience he show us the camera

left side there ist the k-new and k3. Display at k-new is higher and there is a grip

the k-new in his hand have some glass. But it looks like missing a display.

Last edited by dicki; 05-16-2020 at 12:09 AM.
05-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #114
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You obviously haven't met Norm before...
I'd say it sounds like in fact he has
05-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dicki Quote
I take a look to this video again (my english is bad, excuse me!)
And I see some tings.
look here:
The body in the Film first:

the display is no glass, is looks like a plastic dummy. And the button left side have a sign.

In the audience he show us the camera

left side there ist the k-new and k3. Display at k-new is higher and there is a grip

the k-new in his hand have some glass. But it looks like missing a display.
Your English is fine, but your images aren’t showing for me.
05-15-2020, 04:35 PM - 5 Likes   #116
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Am I the only one who wonders if the real reason the eyepiece sticks out more than on previous Flagship models is to make room for the flippy screen in the final production version?

Wouldn't that be fun?
05-15-2020, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Am I the only one who wonders if the real reason the eyepiece sticks out more than on previous Flagship models is to make room for the flippy screen in the final production version?

Wouldn't that be fun?
I laughed out loud when I read this one.
05-15-2020, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #118
Pentaxian

Wouldn't that be fun?
The real reason is that they had to redesign the viewfinder's optics with more lens elements in it to ensure the increased magnification without compromising on brightness.

Cleverly, they are making a marketing advantage out of a design constraint.
05-15-2020, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #119
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The real reason is that they had to redesign the viewfinder's optics with more lens elements in it to ensure the increased magnification without compromising brightness.

Cleverly, they are making a marketing advantage out of a design constraint.
I'd be pleased if the VF protruded even further if they want to go crazy.
05-15-2020, 04:53 PM - 4 Likes   #120

Wouldn't that be fun?
They want to give everybody a poke in the eye for doubting they would release another APS-C body.
Closed Thread