Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2020, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #166

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You shouldn't compare the K-3II with the KP... it's not just the accelerator, but also the sensor (the K-3 series is a bit noisy).
Thats right. And this will be the reason to buy the new one, becaue there is the new generation of sensor-chip
and there is the newer accelator inside.
K3 is a very good camera, a little bit noisy. A little bit more noisy. K3 have the "new Af-c" and is good for wildlife. I like my K3 ltd very much but after 6 years the future will go on in speed and sensor-chip.
I got 12 lenses, Da* and Ltd, I only need less noise chip and maybe, I'am 58, a flexible sreen backwarts.

And when I take a look at this picture from the audience I hope to see a flexscreen like the k1, with thinner stanchions.
I don't like to compare with other brands. This is my brand and I hope there is a K-new silver ltd for myself.

That's all, folks.

05-16-2020, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #167
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

that the coming K-new will likely be much improved upon the K-3 / K-3ii and the KP, is likely a given.

(AFC much improved, increased number of AF points, likely in range of at least 8fps or up to 9/10fps, better noise performance etc).

But two things which i have not heard much being talked about, if at all.

First, really hoping they retain using the same D-Li90 battery.

Next, hope they keep the "auto-aperture bracketing" feature which is in the KP.
(I call it "auto aperture bracketing", but this isnt what ricoh officially term it, can't quite recall what they called it).
05-16-2020, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well then hurry down to your camera store and try out a D500. I didn't realize you were in such a hurry.
I'll run multiple systems if someone steps up and pays for it!
05-16-2020, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #169
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
nice to know that you are willing to compromise your life that way

05-16-2020, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

Ya that's how I feel quite often.... you can suggest whatever you want, but if I can't pay for it, you're wasting your breath.

I have no doubt I'd benefit from D500 AF, but I neither want to give up the things my Pentax's offer that the D500 doesn't do nor do I want lenses that won't work on all 3 of the DSLRs we have in the house.

These types of comments tend to be a little tongue in cheek.

Last edited by normhead; 05-16-2020 at 08:41 AM.
05-16-2020, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You shouldn't compare the K-3II with the KP... it's not just the accelerator, but also the sensor (the K-3 series is a bit noisy).
I know, that's why I'm hoping the K-new improves upon what I have in noise as well as autofocus. This picture is what I'm hoping the new camera will help a lot with. K-3ii with 55-300 PLM is acceptable at small sizes and when the focus hits in the low light, but a 50-135 f/2.8 and more state-of-the-art sensor would be very useful.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-16-2020, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Here come the Pentax bashers!

Cue up the appropriate music....

'The Limonaire 1900' Play's "Entry of the Gladiators" - YouTube

Excellent! That's going to be a new ringtone on my phone, and I have just the person in mind to assign it to...

05-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #173
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find the viewfinder a very strong message that Pentax is going to stick to the DSLR K mount, not go mirrorless, and market themselves that way. The lack of an extensible screen really looks like they are trying to keep the price down as far as possible, to compete with the huge numbers of excellent used DSLRs on the market. So basically what Pentax is offering is a new non-action photography oriented camera for those that want the DSLR experience. (A surprising number of people prefer to buy new).

I definitely am not expecting D500 level of AF-C performance here, especially in the realm of nature photography. It probably will be improved, though. But sadly Pentax just does not have the lenses that would make such an investment even logical. That's not to say you can't make awesome nature shots with Pentax. I made quite a few before I switched to Nikon. But purely from a financial perspective it does not seem very logical for new buyers to look towards Pentax for wildlife, especially since many great affordable lenses aren't available for the K-mount.

I still keep a couple K-mount DSLRs (K5 and K50) for the K-mount lenses I have but I do not think I will upgrade to this flagship. Both of them seem to have plenty of life left in them.
05-16-2020, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #174
Pentaxian

There's no way to tell? You're telling me that ISO 12800 looks just the same as 3200? Maybe at phone sized viewing, or quite far away. You can see pretty obvious differences using something like the DP camera comparison tool with the KP at various ISOs.

I fully understand my K-3ii doesn't have the accelerator, but even spending a lot of time in post working on noise reduction it's difficult to get acceptable results out of 10000+ ISO. Noise, color, dynamic range are all compromised in ways that are very obvious compared to 1600 or 3200.
If you haven’t used a K-1ii or a KP, you won’t understand. The noise, color fidelity, and DR from my KP really are good, even at the 12809 where I often go these days.
05-16-2020, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ya that's how I feel quite often.... you can suggest whatever you want, but if I can't pay for it, you're wasting your breath.

I have no doubt I'd benefit from D500 AF, but I neither want to give up the things my Pentax's offer that the D500 doesn't no do I want lenses that won't work on all 3 of the DSLRs we have in the house.

These types of comments tend to be a little tongue in cheek.
I would probably appreciate having the no-effort-AF of the mirrorless things for some situations, but it's difficult to get past the electronic "I want to pull my eyes out with a spoon" viewfinder and the body's "I'd rather chop off my hands to avoid holding this monstrosity any longer" so-called ergonomics

---------- Post added 05-16-20 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you haven’t used a K-1ii or a KP, you won’t understand. The noise, color fidelity, and DR from my KP really are good, even at the 12809 where I often go these days.
As a quick comparison, this is a 100% crop of the K-1 at 12800, taken as a snip of the IrfanView .DNG preview (so no noise reduction applied):

For reference, the picture was taken with the F50/1.7 near minimum focus distance (mag 0.15x) and it's, on my screen, about 4x life size, so enlargement of about 26 times... which translates to a print about 1 m wide.

Last edited by Serkevan; 05-16-2020 at 08:29 AM.
05-16-2020, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I find the viewfinder a very strong message that Pentax is going to stick to the DSLR K mount,
I think that might be a response to the endless number of people posting how much they like the K-1 viewfinder over the APS-c viewfinders. It's quite possible that it's an offensive move to make the APS-c DSLR viewfinder better to ward off the unwashed mirrorless hoards.
05-16-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #177
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It all has to do with the fact that you're never going to get the last word on the original complainer. The religious zeal with which they present their complaints suggests, you lodge one counter complaint for the record, then turn them loose.
Although said in jest, this is actually spot on. We only complain about complainers because they complained in the first place - and usually only if those complaints are the "same old, same old", or just for the sake of it...

Anyhooo.... how 'bout that APS-C flagship?!
05-16-2020, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the fixed screen on my K3. Wouldn't complain about a tilt screen, but I think it's hilarious and sad people get so bent out of one feature or another. :/

Looking forward to a refresh over my K3!
05-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dicki Quote
look in the videoconference at tilelap 28:43 min.
you like to see the new flip-screen.
It will be a very fine camera. I like it!
An they made a new batteriecrip. Super. Not like the mean one from k3.
I hope I can get a ltd-edition.

Here a picture again. I think i delete the others by myself. Excuse me, please.
The details, shown under and in the bottom-right angle of the K-2 (sorry but that's my whish) screen are indeed pretty intriguing
05-16-2020, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
But sadly Pentax just does not have the lenses that would make such an investment even logical.
DFA* 70-200, DA 150-450, DA 55-300 PLM, DA 560, Pentax has lots of lenses that would make such an investment logical. Maybe you could explain exactly what you're talking about.

This is exactly the thing Pentax users hate. "My K-5 and K-50 aren't as good as my D500". Duh, what exactly does that mean?

My upgrade from my K-5 was a K-3. They are worlds apart. I seriously can't take seriously a person saying they do better with their D500 than a K-5. It's just not relevant. You really need to expand that statement to make it relevant to Pentax users.

Like tell us what lens you're using on your D500, that you think might be better than a 150-450 on a K-3.
Closed Thread