Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 03:41 AM   #301
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The K-1 screen can face 90º upwards Mike. Plus about 45º downwards and to both sides. The great beauty of it is that it always stays more or less in the optical axis of the camera. And of course its extreme strength.
Right, I noticed the 90 degree flip up when watching a video of the K-1 after I posted that (and corrected the post subsequently). In fact, it's better in this regard than my HV, which still has about a 10 degree tilt off fully horizontal...

And the K-1 is just fine for one-handed selfies too, although the LCD screen is of no help
Someone's going to have to ask this, so it may as well be me... Aside from your glasses, were you completely naked in that first shot?

05-17-2020, 03:45 AM - 2 Likes   #302
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Someone's going to have to ask this, so it may as well be me... Aside from your glasses, were you completely naked in that first shot?
You might be pleased to know I was in fact wearing shorts. Mind you, that hss not always been the case on the 21st of the month, which is the traditional selfie day in the Single In Challenges
05-17-2020, 03:50 AM - 3 Likes   #303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's nice that the battery grip has the "joystick". Also note the padlock symbol on previously unlabelled button that garnered so much speculation.

(...)
In addition, the padlock symbol on the top button on the left side of the mirror box, which appears on some prototypes:

is replaced by SR on the copy shown in the video (the picture below was extracted from the video, time stamp 24:38).

05-17-2020, 03:55 AM   #304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is clear that Pentax expects the K-new to be used primarily through its excellent OVF. I am sure live view will be better with this camera than with past cameras, but even so, improvements in auto focus and tracking are unlikely to be at the same level using that as with the viewfinder.

Honestly, I am expecting this camera to be pretty pricey and Pentax decided that adding whatever price tag a flippy screen would entail was too much and so they left it off. I guess we'll see but the major overhauls have not been revealed yet and won't be until the camera is about ready to launch. This camera will have a new auto focus module and image processing engine and bringing those up to the level it sounds like they wanted to hit isn't going to be cheap.
Ye, that's what I think as well. It's either because of extra cost or extra weight. But in the end it's a design decision they took and there's no point in arguing about it too much - if it was a good decision or not, I guess we'll have to let the market talk. I wouldn't be too concerned because the AF and speed performance will certainly make everyone giddy - the ones who don't need super high speed will probably go to the KP, K-1 or wait for a KP upgrade I guess.

05-17-2020, 04:26 AM   #305
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You might be pleased to know I was in fact wearing shorts. Mind you, that hss not always been the case on the 21st of the month, which is the traditional selfie day in the Single In Challenges
So... at that point in the shoot, wearing shorts. Good to know
05-17-2020, 04:49 AM   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Sorry, I don't want to be rude. But all the necessary proof was presented, several times, and completely ignored.
No proof was presented, It was inferred, your standards for proof are a bit low.
A man said the preproduction model didn't have a tilt screen. That's not proof of anything.
05-17-2020, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No proof was presented, It was inferred, your standards for proof are a bit low.
A man said the preproduction model didn't have a tilt screen. That's not proof of anything.
A second man, yours truly, can confirm that the preproduction model showcased in Paris for the 100th anniversary event had a fixed screen.

05-17-2020, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A second man, yours truly, can confirm that the preproduction model showcased in Paris for the 100th anniversary event had a fixed screen.
And? You do understand that in terms of development and testing the screen might be the last thing they work on?
I feel the need to be blunt here.

No one gives a rats derriere about the pre-production models. The only one I care about is the one I can buy.

You can talk about pre-production models forever, that's not proof of anything.

You're talking about the mock ups they throw together to test the performance and fine tune the software.

And of course there's also the fact that the first dude asked if that was the final form, and the answer was "there will be small changes." It all hinges on your definition of small.

But you have determined without question of doubt, the pre-production models don't have a tilt screen. Nothing more.

Last edited by normhead; 05-17-2020 at 05:27 AM.
05-17-2020, 05:31 AM - 2 Likes   #309
Pentaxian

Norm, proof was once again presented in the post following the one you quoted:
New APS-C is - Page 16 - PentaxForums.com
Said proof can easily be found in the video:
CP+2020 ?????????PENTAX?? ---Introducing PENTAX products currently in development--- - YouTube

But whatever. Mike kindly asked us to tune it down, and it's pointless to continue anyway.
Believe what you want. But, if you'd even try to be surprised and bash Ricoh for not including an articulated screen when the camera is finally released, you will see hell.
05-17-2020, 05:33 AM   #310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I knew for sure one of the more frequent posters (and reputable, too) said the same. I wasn't sure who, and couldn't find the post.
05-17-2020, 05:44 AM   #311
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw it in Sydney, no flippy screen. But Norm does have a point, it is all speculation at this point in time, till the fat lady sings etc. I guess however, a different way to look at it would be if the preproduction model had flippy screen, then they changed it to not have one... that would be weird
If I was a betting man I would say this doesn't have a flip screen (with good confidence), but nothing is certain till it's on the shelf.
05-17-2020, 05:51 AM - 3 Likes   #312
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
But it's not faster than a joystick
Actually, touch af is way faster than joystick. I shoot with cameras that have both of them: joystick and touch af. That being said, I would like in future cameras, regardless the brand, an touch af joystick (1Dx Mark III style) that can be operated like a normal joystick also for the situations when you wear gloves.

---------- Post added 05-17-20 at 12:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The thing with touch screens is that you cannot have reliable muscle memory. That means that they are inherently slower than buttons/levers/wheels, and you are more liable to make mistakes because of fat-press-syndrome . The smartphones are salvageable because you're focused on the screen itself while touching it - not really what happens with a camera.
You don't need reliable muscle memory for touch af screen. Shooting through viewfinder you just have to put your finger on the LCD (wchich it can be selected: top right corner, bottom corner, all screen, etc. ) and drag your finger wherever you want your focus to be on the viewfinder.

Here is how I have my finger on my LCD to drag af point wherever I need it. My touch af area is set for top right of the screen. That small square on the top right of the screen acts like a touch af joystick.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 05-17-2020 at 06:30 AM.
05-17-2020, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #313
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I saw it in Sydney, no flippy screen. But Norm does have a point, it is all speculation at this point in time, till the fat lady sings etc. I guess however, a different way to look at it would be if the preproduction model had flippy screen, then they changed it to not have one... that would be weird
If I was a betting man I would say this doesn't have a flip screen (with good confidence), but nothing is certain till it's on the shelf.
Sorry, Bruce, but we started with claims that the presented prototype has some sort of whatever. And Norm supported that.

Now, if Norm's point would've been exclusively about us not seeing exactly the final product on the shelves... but I've already made a good point about why refining a working sample to the point of changing the texture on the joystick and not including an articulated screen except as a last step (or, alternatively, keeping it a secret) doesn't make any sort of sense.
05-17-2020, 05:59 AM   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I suppose the second padlock button could be to lock/unlock a flippy screen in the production model - but it's getting very close to production now not to have one - there would have tobe a verygood reason to conceal the fact that it has something that is quite normal...

Edit - in the process of writing while Kunzite posted, but great minds think alike,I see
05-17-2020, 06:04 AM - 4 Likes   #315
Pentaxian

And? You do understand that in terms of development and testing the screen might be the last thing they work on?
(...)
I'm afraid I do not because it's not true.

Just to give you two examples:
  1. Moulds have to be ordered a couple of months before the production can begin. Moulds are expensive. No change can be done to the moulded parts, including the outer shell, once the moulds have been ordered. A fixed rear screen on the one hand, a moving one on the other hand, require a different outer shell, therefore different moulds, with design studies to be conducted to define the outer shell prior to ordering the moulds (among other things).
    ---
  2. Cameras need certification on each and every targeted market (in order to be sold, sometimes simply in order to be advertised, i.e. before launch date, not availability date) because they emit electromagnetic radiations (EMRs): the sensor emits such radiations, the image processor does, the LCDs do, above all the Wi-Fi / Bluetooth chips do. Thorough EMR tests conducted by independent third-parties are required by local certification bodies, including radiocommunications agencies, before applying for such certifications.

This process takes time, three months in some countries, up to six in others. No part of a camera which is likely to emit EMRs (including the components listed above) or to reflect them (including any and all metallic parts) can be modified once the prototypes have been sent to the testing labs, otherwise the testing process has to recommence from scratch.

This, and similar causes, is why the hardware has to be finalised many months before market launch. This is why I was told by people from Ricoh Imaging Europe that the preproduction model showcased last fall was almost final hardware-wise, with the developments still ongoing being mostly software-related. This is why the only hardware-related changes between the preproduction models showcased last fall and the one in the video are minor: a new surface for the joystick (so that it's more finger-friendly), a touch of paint here and there (e.g. the padlock symbol migrating from one button on the left of the mirror box, where it has been replaced by 'SR', to another one on the rear of the camera).
Closed Thread