Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As I said, I don't deny the potential utility of an articulating screen, and I've used them myself. They can be very handy. I'll say again, though, I don't think the lack of one will be a deal-breaker for most potential users.
But it does start with one strike against it. Another for the lack of GPS.
If the K-new comes out without the tilt screen, I'll wait for the Mark II version. Hopefully with the tilt screen and GPS.

I use the APS-c bodies for 2 things. Macro for more magnification, and birds for more reach. Half my APS-c usage would be impacted.

What would mitigate that? 10-12 FPS, a 50 shot buffer, improved AF, and faster buffer clearing and full control of the camera while the buffer clears.
Way to many times I've fired off a sequence, noticed I need to adjust the EV up or down, and sat waiting for the buffer to clear before I could changes the setting and take another image. The issue with Pentax APS-c being there's so much to be done, and unless it is all good, the camera will still be crippled by it's technology. 3 out of 4 doesn't change anything.

If I can put up with the deficiencies a K-3 works just fine. I've no need to buy the K-new for a half solution with two strikes against it at conception.

Leave off any one of those and it's a no go.

Your logic is viable, until you actually look at what they need to accomplish to make it a go. Then it looks impossible.

On the other hand pixel shift, the tilting backscreen, GPS and incremental improvements else where would have made me happy. The problem being, my K-3 as it is just isn't that bad. So why would I be looking at new that's not much of an improvement and lacks some features?

Last edited by normhead; 05-17-2020 at 07:45 AM.
05-17-2020, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #332
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
It seems odd that they would prioritize reducing nose smudges over the utility of an articulated screen.
I'm not yet convinced it DOESN'T have a tilt screen. See post 149
05-17-2020, 07:40 AM - 3 Likes   #333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It doesn't. Post 149 doesn't show anything.

Maybe you've got the perspective wrong, I've marked it pretty clearly that there's no flipping flippy bits!

05-17-2020, 07:40 AM - 4 Likes   #334

Used be on-board flash was the deal-breaker. Then the top LCD. Now it's tilt-screen. What's the next pet peeve going to be?

05-17-2020, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #335
Pentaxian

Here we go again, another kitten killed!
05-17-2020, 07:48 AM - 7 Likes   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Here we go again, another kitten killed!
Flippy screen, here I go again
My my, how can I resist you?
Flippy screen, does it show again?
My my, just how much I've missed you
Yes, I've been brokenhearted
Blue since the day we parted
Why, why did I ever let you go?
Flippy screen, now I really know
My my, I could never let you go

05-17-2020, 07:52 AM   #337
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Used be on-board flash was the deal-breaker. Then the top LCD. Now it's tilt-screen. What's the next pet peeve going to be?
Anything can be a deal breaker for a specific person, it's probably not wise to start listing them all. Almost every wanted feature on a camera is not wanted by someone, even AF. And any given feature can be extremely important to someone else, regardless of how unimportant it is to the rest of the forum.

That's what most of this type of conversation dances around.

"I do"
"Well I don't."
"Well I don't care if you don't."
"Well I don't care if you do."

05-17-2020, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #338
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
[...] Another for the lack of GPS.[...]
Norm, why the certainty there's no GPS? One less button is one less point of failure. My K-1 GPS is always on, with LED off. Do you really turn your's on and off? A tile on the INFO screen would work fine. Or an icon on the LV (touch)screen. I don't think the lack of dedicated button guarantees lack of GPS...
05-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #339
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Here is an utility of both, the tilt screen and the touch af system. I managed to sign a partnership with a dentist and I had the opportunity to shoot some guided surgical implants. Here is an example where without a tilting screen and without touch af my shooting experience would have been less than ideal. Given the fact that the dentists couldn't stop the surgery for me to take pictures and due to the fact that there wasn't an ideal position for me to shoot and I had to take care of the lights to not block the patient mouth, without a tilt screen and without touch af I would have had to use a smartphone to control my camera. That would have implied also to hold my camera with only one hand instead of both hands...

Yes, tilt screen it's not a deal breaker for day to day use, but the lack of it may become a problem when you have an opportunity to make some money and shoot some interesting stuff.

Here is the example of how I've shot during the surgery (how the LCD was tilted) and the result in the small frame also.
Next iteration of KP/K-1/K-70 will probably have touch screen with touch AF. Your scenario above doesn't call for deep buffer, fast tracking AF or great OVF. Nikon have the D8xx's and the D1's with different professional feature sets. Both can do each others job but only in a sub optimal way.

I don't think anyone thinks touch AF and flip/tilt screen is of no use but I really question if it's needed for a apsc speed demon (if that's what's on offer)

I'm not saying you think so but your example is a good one to show the strangeness of needing flip screen to take shots of flowers/operations with a 10fps af-c tracking (guessing here) camera. Money spent wrong.
05-17-2020, 08:08 AM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It doesn't. Post 149 doesn't show anything.

Maybe you've got the perspective wrong, I've marked it pretty clearly that there's no flipping flippy bits!
Ah, thanks Bertwert!

It still might have one, I'm willing to wait for the official specs, but post 149 isn't evidence it exists.
05-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #341
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Norm, why the certainty there's no GPS? One less button is one less point of failure. My K-1 GPS is always on, with LED off. Do you really turn your's on and off? A tile on the INFO screen would work fine. Or an icon on the LV (touch)screen. I don't think the lack of dedicated button guarantees lack of GPS...
As I said, I'm not deciding anything until I see the final version on store shelf. This whole conversation is pretty much speculativel ( speculative drivel) , and not based on reality. So, it doesn't matter to me. Until the final product is out, we don't actually know what may be coming. I used the GPS because it's on my K-1, it's not on my K-3, there are times when I miss it. So not having it on the K-new would be an issue.

Right now GPS and the tilting back screen are two big reasons the K-3 stays home when it would otherwise be my choice, and the K-1 goes, because those things are more important than the tighter pixels count. From my K-3 at 24 MP I expect the feature set to be more than my 36 MP k-1 which performs different functions. So when I think about the K-new, I'm thinking "what would inspire me to take the K-new instead of the K-1 in situations where the 24 MP smaller pixels are the better choice?" Right now because of the lack of pixel shift and tilting back screen, it stays home when it shouldn't. I need them to fix what's wrong with the K-3 before they start adding other stuff that doesn't affect my IQ in most situations. Going backwards in the feature I use would be for me unacceptable.

As I said, I'll be happy to use my K-3 until it dies. Do they want to sell me camera or don't they? That's going to be the big question. When you have some thing that works for you, you don't throw that out for a different set of features that creates new problems you didn't have before.

It may well be the K-new is the system that gets me looking more seriously at a K-p.

The K-P has more of what I want and a few things that would crimp my style. I will be interesting to see if the K-new would crimp my style more than a K-P. That going to be the issue. If there is no tilt screen, the K-P is already up one on the comparison chart.

In essence the worst thing they could do would be to produce a camera that was a k-1 only not as good. APS-c has to do APS-c things better than a K-1 does or it's not worth much.

Last edited by normhead; 05-17-2020 at 08:30 AM.
05-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Or an icon on the LV (touch)screen
Yes - touchscreen is the key here
05-17-2020, 08:36 AM   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Next iteration of KP/K-1/K-70 will probably have touch screen with touch AF.
Pretty pointless if all your focus points are crammed in a centre area as they need to be because of the secondary mirror / separate PDAF sensor design. No hints that Pentax are going to move away from this evolutionary dead end to off sensor focus in one form or another.
05-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The prototype clearly doesn't. Perhaps the production model will, but wouldn't count on it.

05-17-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Pretty pointless if all your focus points are crammed in a centre area as they need to be because of the secondary mirror / separate PDAF sensor design. No hints that Pentax are going to move away from this evolutionary dead end to off sensor focus in one form or another.
Actually there are hints of next thing havin wider AF array and +100 focus points

Edit:and that would be a good reason to add joystick also
Closed Thread