Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Used be on-board flash was the deal-breaker. Then the top LCD. Now it's tilt-screen. What's the next pet peeve going to be?
The rubber on the grip will be stamped with a repeated "Ricoh" pattern.

05-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We do not know if this was final productionmodel or not.
05-17-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Used be on-board flash was the deal-breaker. Then the top LCD. Now it's tilt-screen. What's the next pet peeve going to be?
Just because you call something a pet peeve doesn't mean it's not very important to others.

We used to get along with all kinds of stuff that's now a given. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't be horribly annoyed commuting in a '73 AMC Gremlin and using dial-up internet.

Pentax is marketing a camera to thousands of people, not just the subset with one person's requirements.
05-17-2020, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Pretty pointless if all your focus points are crammed in a centre area as they need to be because of the secondary mirror / separate PDAF sensor design. No hints that Pentax are going to move away from this evolutionary dead end to off sensor focus in one form or another.
Are we going to ignore that the D500 and 7Dii cover almost the entire sensor?

05-17-2020, 08:50 AM - 5 Likes   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Are we going to ignore that the D500 and 7Dii cover almost the entire sensor?
Yes. That doesn't fit with the "DSLRs are useless. Mirrorless is amazing!" agenda...
05-17-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #351
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

What would mitigate that? 10-12 FPS, a 50 shot buffer, improved AF, and faster buffer clearing and full control of the camera while the buffer clears.

That hits the nail on the head for me Norm. If it has those features I am getting one for wildlife and sports/action photography. The money is already set aside.

You generally do not need a flippy screen for that type of photography. My K1 an K1-II can handle the rest. Buffer clearing on the K1 is an exercise in patience. With the K1 if you preview and then try to delete and image before the buffer clears and, then it becomes an exercise in extreme patience.

The new lenses are nice, but a set of high quality auto extension tubes and FF teleconverters would be better for me. Barring theft or damage I am pretty much set for lenses.
05-17-2020, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #352
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I would think that actually just and because they wanted to bring that OVF out from the body couple of mm more (...)
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Well, not for smudge, but for more comfort. (...)
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Sure. But how many people here have picked up their camera and thought "nah, not today, my nose is sore"? Until the video I wouldn't have thought anyone would list Viewfinder Distance From Body on their top 50 new things they want in a camera. Until I saw the video it wouldn't have occurred to me that was even a thing.
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
As I suggested in an earlier post, maybe the optimized design of the viewfinder gave a specific depth dimension(...)
I think both ThorSanchez and phoebus are right. The increased rear protrusion of the viewfinder is not a technical choice guided by marketing c yetonsiderations but a technical necessity.

They wanted to build the best APS-C viewfinder possible. They wanted to reach a 1.05x magnification so that the size of the image in the viewfinder would match that of the K-1, without compromising on its brightness or contrast. In order to meet this competing goals they had to use more glass, including special glass, and ended with a longer viewfinder that protrudes more.

In turn the marketing guys undertook to make an asset out of this necessity: protruding more, the viewfinder moves the photographer's nose away from the rear screen and avoids smudges (and unintentional actioning of the touchscreen -this one hasn't been brought out because the rear LCD being a touchscreen hasn't been disclosed yet).

05-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
That hits the nail on the head for me Norm. If it has those features I am getting one for wildlife and sports/action photography. The money is already set aside.

You generally do not need a flippy screen for that type of photography. My K1 an K1-II can handle the rest. Buffer clearing on the K1 is an exercise in patience. With the K1 if you preview and then try to delete and image before the buffer clears and, then it becomes an exercise in extreme patience.

The new lenses are nice, but a set of high quality auto extension tubes and FF teleconverters would be better for me. Barring theft or damage I am pretty much set for lenses.
Actually, now that you mention it the K-1 can be a bit lazy when previewing images immediately after shooting. I also get the feeling that it's worse when shooting raw+, but I could be wrong.

(I normally shoot with both cards and set it with "XS" JPEGs going to SD#2 for fast delivery to friends and family via phone, since ImageSync refuses to transfer a full-size JPEG file without the connection dying mid-transfer, or outright chokes while trying to open SD#1 with the raw files)
05-17-2020, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #354
Pentaxian

Pretty pointless if all your focus points are crammed in a centre area as they need to be because of the secondary mirror / separate PDAF sensor design. No hints that Pentax are going to move away from this evolutionary dead end to off sensor focus in one form or another.
I hate the touch screen on my ZS100 when too many focus points are selected. Highlights in bold are inflammatory statements of unproven validity.

This has happened to me, I'm focused on something I use the touch screen to get the focus where I want it, while moving my finger from the screen to the shutter release, my left hand moves slightly, and the camera has selected a different focus point by the time I'm ready to shoot. I've actually given up on a few shots because of this. If you aren't using a tripod, using a touch screen can be a nightmare.

Last edited by normhead; 05-17-2020 at 09:18 AM.
05-17-2020, 09:02 AM - 2 Likes   #355
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I hate the touch screen on my ZS100 when too many focus points are selected. Highlights in bold are inflammatory statements of unproven validity.
But Norm, how are we ever going to make good pictures if we cannot track focus over a fly that's buzzing along the edge at the edge of the corners at f/0.7?
05-17-2020, 09:08 AM - 6 Likes   #356
Pentaxian

Pretty pointless if all your focus points are crammed in a centre area as they need to be because of the secondary mirror / separate PDAF sensor design. (...)
On an APS-C camera with a 24x36 mount and mirror bow they don't have to.

The picture below shows the Nikon D500's autofocus points coverage.

Remember that, once appropriately enlarged and contrast-enhanced, the pictures of the insides of the KNEW's mirror box unveil an autofocus with a larger coverage -this was first noted and brought forward by asahi man.
05-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That's what I'm wondering.

If you were looking for a sport crop with all the features, not attached to any brand, why wouldn't you buy a D500 instead? That is to say, the wheel has already been 'invented' and it is likely available for less (gently used) than this will cost, with a lot more support out the gate.

But I think this is just selling to people who are locked in with K mount. Outside of that horrible flipscreen decision, it does look like an upgrade over the K-3 series already in just looking at the viewfinder update and the joystick.

That said, the updated *16-50mm was more interesting to me. It could be something special.
I bought a D500 five months ago to replace my K3 and I'm wondering why I waited so long. But I've kept my K-1 for landscape.
05-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #358
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think the (known) features on the K-new make a lot of sense. Big OVF, improved AF tracking, joystick AF point selector, probably reasonably high FPS, rugged build. Should be perfect for action shooting, wildlife etc. That's definitely not when I would miss a flippy screen.
Me too, even if I find myself using it with my Panny G80 most of the time. I guess if the K-N will have an efficient bluetooth mode for using a phone as auxiliary screen I would not miss a flip screen.
05-17-2020, 09:22 AM - 15 Likes   #359
Pentaxian

It's an APS-C DSLR that will have a viewfinder the same size as a full frame DSLR.

Let me repeat that:

It's an APS-C DSLR that will have a viewfinder the same size as a full frame DSLR.

Remember that thing where you look through a viewfinder and see something memorable and want to capture it forever? What's it called. . . photography? With that viewfinder, it'll be great at that.
05-17-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #360
Pentaxian

Touch AF is for live view on a dslr with joystick. Live view doesn't use PDAF and has wider coverage even on old Pentax cameras.
Closed Thread