Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #406
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Boy, so many here are going to feel silly when the Kn is released with a clever new flippy screen.
Hehe, totally. It's Pentax... anything can happen!

05-17-2020, 04:37 PM - 2 Likes   #407
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
If this was not their intention... why have they now recently showed images with a new button layout? What was stopping them having a SR That is unless... the SR button is actually quite important to this new improved AF experience that they seem to promise, perhaps AF accuracy is improved significantly with it turned off, thus they present this button as a quick option for higher AF accuracy if the user feels its safe to disarm it...

Sadly however... I think my initial assessment of what has happened makes more sense. They tried the Hybrid EVF thing, it didn't work and now they are salvaging a camera to being a tiltless screen OVF only experience with the promise of better AF (and better viewing through the OVF).
Maybe it will be enough for Pentaxians, I'm sure it will buffer better, fps better and be more accurate, but has it now just come at too much of a price? A 15% AF improvement at the cost of a tilt screen?

Gonna be interesting to see how this all pans out.
Wow, such negativity and you haven't even seen all the features the K-New brings.

Actually if you look at a K-100D as it has a dedicated SR on/off selector.

Edit: Not trying to single you out, Eddy, but this whole thread has devolved into a bunch of carping about what Ricoh/Pentax has done wrong when no one on PF knows anything about it other than what was in the video.

Last edited by Larrymc; 05-17-2020 at 04:45 PM.
05-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #408
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Not necessary another system as long as there are Pentax cameras with[/url]
Epic pizza and "plastic squirt bottles" .... nah....
05-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #409
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That really isn't the best solution at all....

I don't have the lens, but according to the review, it's not super great on the long end, with best results at f/8 to f/11. Now add a TC, which doesn't necessarily help with IQ and we're at f/11-f/16... good luck freezing a bird-in-flight without a noisy image in anything other than full direct sunlight. Good luck using AF when it's dawn or dusk, which are prime times for wildlife...
Do not assume anything based on your K-50 experience.

I'm not very good at quick EV settings - but right now in rainish weather, with 1/750 my KP required ISO = 25600 and still focused quickly and surely.
I have used this combination in all conditions, and apart from a picture of a racoon I took an hour after sunset. it has focused quickly and surely.
Unless you have used this combination, do not assume that it will be noisy, or fail to focus quickly and surely, at dawn or dusk.

Last edited by reh321; 05-17-2020 at 04:53 PM.
05-17-2020, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For around $900, you can get what I call my "77-420 mm" lens - a 55-300mm PLM lens plus a 1.4X TC.
Yes, it creates a f/8-9.5 lens, but that is fine with my KP, where I seldom notice ISO setting any more.
Well there are a great deal of reasons why, first and foremost is the IQ from that lens and tc would not be what I am looking for.
05-17-2020, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #411
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why do you need a fast lens?

For around $900, you can get what I call my "77-420 mm" lens - a 55-300mm PLM lens plus a 1.4X TC.
Yes, it creates a f/8-9.5 lens, but that is fine with my KP, where I seldom notice ISO setting any more.
For one, subject separation. Maybe I don't want everyone from the striker 20' from me all the way down to the other goalie in focus.

Also autofocus doesn't typically work as well at f/8 as f/4.5.

05-17-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #412
Veteran Member

Do not assume anything based on your K-50 experience.

I'm not very good at quick EV settings - but right now in rainish weather, with 1/750 my KP required ISO = 25600 and still focused quickly and surely.
I have used this combination in all conditions, and it has focused quickly and surely.
Unless you have used this combination, do not assume that it will be noisy, or fail to focus quickly and surely, at dawn or dusk.
I am not just basing it off my K-50 experience - it's a fact that you'll have less detail at f/16 and ISO 25600 than if you're shooting at f/4 and ISO 1600.

As far as focusing, comparing the K-50 and KP is apples to oranges as you say, but the specs state that the KP's AF sensor is 2 steps more sensitive. In dim evening light, I can unreliably confirm focus at f/5.6 (with the K-50) - so let's say f/11 on the KP (half a stop more than f/9.5 of the 55-300 at 300 and TC). Unreliable AF isn't fun and leads to missed shots, especially with fast moving wildlife.

05-17-2020, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Well there are a great deal of reasons why, first and foremost is the IQ from that lens and tc would not be what I am looking for.
Then you do not have to purchase this - but many others cannot afford what you are apparently willing to pay.
05-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #414
Veteran Member

Then you do not have to purchase this - but many others cannot afford what you are apparently willing to pay.
And many are not willing to put up with the sacrifices of using a long range slow zoom lens and a TC.
05-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #415
Pentaxian

I am not just basing it off my K-50 experience - it's a fact that you'll have less detail at f/16 and ISO 25600 than if you're shooting at f/4 and ISO 1600.

As far as focusing, comparing the K-50 and KP is apples to oranges as you say, but the specs state that the KP's AF sensor is 2 steps more sensitive. In dim evening light, I can unreliably confirm focus at f/5.6 (with the K-50) - so let's say f/11 on the KP (half a stop more than f/9.5 of the 55-300 at 300 and TC). Unreliable AF isn't fun and leads to missed shots, especially with fast moving wildlife.
I have never claimed to be shooting at f/16 .... f/9 is plenty, and I have not noticed poorer detail around ISO 9000 than at lower levels.

The "K-3ii replacement", which we are supposedly talking about here, may have even better ISO performance and better AF than the KP does;
use of AF does not depend on aperture shooting at since focusing occurs at maximum opening, and as I've already said, my KP has not provided unreliable AF at dusk/dawn problems.

But this is missing the point; we do not expect Pentax to provide an extra processor to handle AF; those who want it, may be out of luck on this aspect, which Pentax does not claim to be an area of strength for any of their cameras.
05-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #416
Pentaxian

And many are not willing to put up with the sacrifices of using a long range slow zoom lens and a TC.
I am not aware of any 'sacrifices' other than not lugging a large, heavy "constant aperture" lens with me.

added: I am not certain how this discussion relates to the new "K-3ii replacement" body.
A person could later add any K-mount lens available for it.
I have presented an option which I currently use - someone with more money can perhaps purchase something better - otherwise, otherwise.

Last edited by reh321; 05-17-2020 at 05:30 PM.
05-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #417
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Let’s remember US median household income is $61K.

After food, clothing, shelter, insurance, saving for retirement, utilities, transportation, commune and taxes the typical household only has so much to spend on things like hobbies.
05-17-2020, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #418
Veteran Member

I am not aware of any 'sacrifices' other than not lugging a large, heavy "constant aperture" lens with me.
It's soft and slow. There's a reason there's long fast prime lenses, otherwise they wouldn't be sold.
05-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #419
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Norm, why the certainty there's no GPS? One less button is one less point of failure. My K-1 GPS is always on, with LED off. Do you really turn your's on and off? A tile on the INFO screen would work fine. Or an icon on the LV (touch)screen. I don't think the lack of dedicated button guarantees lack of GPS...
If no explicit button - then another thing to go looking for in the menu system.
Also - no GPS - no Astrotracker.

GPS, Pixel shift, Astrotracker, dual card slots - three things that made the K-3II a "Flagship". Flagship follow-ons normally (in overall feature set) begin at the previous version.
05-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Wow, such negativity and you haven't even seen all the features the K-New brings.

Actually if you look at a K-100D as it has a dedicated SR on/off selector.

Edit: Not trying to single you out, Eddy, but this whole thread has devolved into a bunch of carping about what Ricoh/Pentax has done wrong when no one on PF knows anything about it other than what was in the video.
Yeh sorry, I don't mean to be negative. Perhaps it's just Pentax's bad PR/Marketing that fuels my conspiracy theories

If it helps I actually think I will be one of those contributing (financially) to Pentax by ordering the K-new (and DFA 21). I really crave a better AF experience with Pentax and I hope this will be it. Really.. I'm just sharing my inner thoughts (about the possibility of EVF gone bad and previous weird 'mystery buttons'), I could totally be barking up the wrong tree, there was never the intention of Hybrid EVF and the lack of tilt screen is due to touch screen tech and OVF glass, and AF will be vastly better... period.

I just enjoy these speculation threads, they are fun and I think on some level we all like to play this game of guesses
Closed Thread