Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Dedicated SR button permits turning off SR during much improved video shooting
I think you are right on this point. Maybe the noise coming from the SR system is one of the reasons for not implementing it in video. Therefore being able to easily turn it off is advantageous.

05-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
$1500 Canadian you can buy you 120-300 2.8 OS and all current TC work flawless on it including their new 1.4
Interesting looking lens. But, my luck with Sigma glass has been atrocious. And it's too heavy, but thanks for pointing it out.
05-17-2020, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #423
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It's soft and slow. There's a reason there's long fast prime lenses, otherwise they wouldn't be sold.
The problem is that eveyone sits in a box of their past actions - and people have so much trouble seeing past that.

Several years ago, MSNBC posted pictures of the College "Final 4" Basketball Final. My first thought was that they had gotten serious DOF somehow; when I downloaded several of their images, I discovered that they had EXIF attached! They had used ISO values of 8000 which allowed both 1/1000 and f6.3 - but they could afford a Canon 1DXii.

Around the same time, a man who leads safariis posted that he was now recommending a floating ISO value so the people he guided could shoot both a fixed f-stop and and appropriate shutter speed - that sounded great, but I was unwilling to push my K-30 above ISO=800, which makes TAv mode basically useless. I was thinking in a "K-30 sized box". Only after I got the KP, and realized that ISO values like 12000 or 25000 had little 'cost', did I enable the 'box' to stop getting in my way.

I believe we are putting the new camera in boxes of our own making, but Pentax is not limited by our thinking. The K-70, KP, and K-1ii have shown that Pentax is willing to try new things, and we should allow those new things to grow, and then see where they go. If we have to change how we do things, then so be it.
05-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #424
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeh sorry, I don't mean to be negative. Perhaps it's just Pentax's bad PR/Marketing that fuels my conspiracy theories

If it helps I actually think I will be one of those contributing (financially) to Pentax by ordering the K-new (and DFA 21). I really crave a better AF experience with Pentax and I hope this will be it. Really.. I'm just sharing my inner thoughts (about the possibility of EVF gone bad and previous weird 'mystery buttons'), I could totally be barking up the wrong tree, there was never the intention of Hybrid EVF and the lack of tilt screen is due to touch screen tech and OVF glass, and AF will be vastly better... period.

I just enjoy these speculation threads, they are fun and I think on some level we all like to play this game of guesses
No problem, I have been reading through all of this speculation about touch screens and everything else and it just got to me, apologies from me. What I can't understand is how many keep pushing articulated and or touch screens when its pretty obvious that there is a really tight fit around the monitor screen and it doesn't flip or tilt. As for the touch screen why have a touch screen when there is a thumb operated joy stick to move A/F selection points around?

05-17-2020, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #425
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I stopped reading at about page 11, when I realised that pages were being added faster than I could read. Since I didn’t find anything new after the first few pages I decided to read elsewhere. Did I miss anything?
05-17-2020, 07:47 PM - 16 Likes   #426
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I stopped reading at about page 11, when I realised that pages were being added faster than I could read. Since I didn’t find anything new after the first few pages I decided to read elsewhere. Did I miss anything?
I'll sum it up for you...

Flippy screen!
No!
Flippy screen!
No!
Yes!
No!
Touch!
No!
Unicorns!
AF!
No good!
Touch!
No!
Yes!
Flippy screen!
No!
EVF!
No!
Flippy screen!
Flippy touch screen!
No!
Flippy screen!
Yes!
No!
05-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #427
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Bert. I think I had got all that - I just missed some of the repetition.

05-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #428
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'll sum it up for you...

Flippy screen!
No!
Flippy screen!
No!
Yes!
No!
Touch!
No!
Unicorns!
AF!
No good!
Touch!
No!
Yes!
Flippy screen!
No!
EVF!
No!
Flippy screen!
Flippy touch screen!
No!
Flippy screen!
Yes!
No!
GPS is not there? Pixel shift is not there? Astrotracker is not there?
05-17-2020, 08:47 PM - 2 Likes   #429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What stops me is what it wold cost me to replace the 4 telephoto lenses I have for my K-3. And that in one cases, for example the DA 55-300 PLM, they wouldn't be as good.
'''
So I'm guessing you are using slow glass, which is cheaper. With 2 2.8 lenses and one ƒ4 zoom, I'd lose a lot switching. The cost to get equivalent gear would be $7-9K and on most images would produce no noticeable advantage. I know of no one who shoots all action all the time to make good use of D500 images capability. A lot of it would go to having capability I don't use but once or twice year.
If I had your arsenal and subject preferences, I wouldn't have switched to the D500. But my activity has changed from (almost) exclusively landscapes to moving critters, some of them quite small. I can hand-hold the D500 with Tamron 100-400 f/4.5-6.3 VC quite effectively and nail the focus most of time, but admittedly not in dim light. Still, this rig only cost $2,300. Here's a shot taken in good light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D500  Photo 
05-17-2020, 09:50 PM   #430
Pentaxian

For me, that kind of amount of noise is unacceptable. This must be cropped. And lifted in post.
05-17-2020, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #431
Pentaxian

K-1 has dedicated GPS button on the outside, also a LED light to tell you its on. It doesn't look like such buttons or lights exist, which suggest it may not have GPS. If no GPS it might not have Astro, or even pixelshift. Things are pointing more towards it being a dedicated pew pew pew machine.
Indeed, it might not have GPS - my guess is there's no room for it due to the new, larger viewfinder. Unless they decided there's no need for a separate button and LED (which I hope it's the case).
However:
- AstroTracer should work with the O-GPS1
- PixelShift is independent from the presence of a GPS

In 2018 Pentax put in a patent for Hybrid OVF/EVF. You can say what you like about EVF shortcomings but it also has many advantages;

- Better Manual Focus Feedback (like LV)
- Gaining Face/Eye Detection through the eyepiece
- Gaining AF tracking through the eyepiece
- Seeing what the image looks like before you take the shot (in negates chimping, if it looks good at the time of the shot, that's how it will look... period).
- No front and back focusing problems with lenses
- Higher Focus Accuracy
- Quieter
Face detection could work with an OVF, if the metering system has enough pixels (I'll no longer call them segments).
AF tracking already sorts of works, and works quite well with other brands.
No, you don't see the image you're abut to take.
05-17-2020, 11:17 PM   #432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Then you do not have to purchase this
Then why did you ask.

I for one usually like to maximise my purchase as to get the greatest benefit from that investment. If I am going to buy a $1500-$2000 body and a $300- $500 dollar tc I would certainly think about the lens being paired with that body with TC and what conditions I am going to use that combo in.

And when I factor in what my 300 2.8 cost, the price I sold it used and the years I used the lens it cost me around $214 a year

$214 spanning over 1/2 a decade is a very cheap hobby.

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 05-17-2020 at 11:50 PM.
05-17-2020, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #433
Pentaxian

If this was not their intention... why have they now recently showed images with a new button layout? What was stopping them having a SR button and Lock button in those areas in the first place?
Because that aspect of the UI was not finalized at that time.
Occam's razor - the simplest explanation.
05-17-2020, 11:23 PM - 1 Like   #434
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Indeed, it might not have GPS - my guess is there's no room for it due to the new, larger viewfinder. Unless they decided there's no need for a separate button and LED (which I hope it's the case).
However:
- AstroTracer should work with the O-GPS1
- PixelShift is independent from the presence of a GPS

Face detection could work with an OVF, if the metering system has enough pixels (I'll no longer call them segments).
AF tracking already sorts of works, and works quite well with other brands.
No, you don't see the image you're abut to take.
I heard that part of this new AF module was also bringing a new SR to the table, which might also account for the presence of a dedicated SR button... maybe pixelshift works with this new SR? Let's hope so.

We have no AF tracking at all, AF.C is not AF tracking per se, I'm talking about the kind of tracking that has AF locked on and follows the target around the screen, kinda like Face Detection with how a box around the head is always there regardless of where the user moves. Now imagine that with actual focus on the head all the time allowing you to squeeze the shutter to capture shots at your pleasure without it actually focusing because it already is. I would not expect PDAF to manage that feat, its gonna be CDAF/LV/EVF level of AF tracking.
And in regards to EVF being accurate to the image you're about to take, I think that depends on the EVF system, but one professional wedding photographer in the San Fran Bay reports his Fuji gives him this. Of course if you bring off camera flash to the party, that's different, but essentially the user is reporting on a much more realistic WYSIWYG affair when using EVF vs OVF and in practical use results in less needing to chimp shots. As a wedding tog myself, the OVF can fool you a little and you have accidentally overlooked an exposure triangle and messed a few shots up, EVF reduces this likelihood apparently.

---------- Post added 05-18-20 at 04:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
No problem, I have been reading through all of this speculation about touch screens and everything else and it just got to me, apologies from me. What I can't understand is how many keep pushing articulated and or touch screens when its pretty obvious that there is a really tight fit around the monitor screen and it doesn't flip or tilt. As for the touch screen why have a touch screen when there is a thumb operated joy stick to move A/F selection points around?
In regards for touch screen, similar benefits to why GRIII has a touch screen, and I'm just assuming that those benefits would benefit a dslr at times as well. I would not expect touchscreen to be a feature you would use when looking through the eye piece, it will be for all those other times;

- navigating menus quicker, making selections etc.
- playback review, double tapping taken images would zoom you into the area you tapped to check focus confirmation, pinch/zoom/swipe to next image etc.
- Live View focusing assistance, Face Detection tap the head (if there are many heads in the image) you want the Face Detection to focus on, or simply just AF focus tapping like a smart phone, rather than using a joystick or d-pad to take an AF point to that location.

Stuff like that. It would be a welcome addition and not taking anything away, you should still be able to navigate menus via d-pad or joystick if preferred.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Because that aspect of the UI was not finalized at that time.
Occam's razor - the simplest explanation.
Hehe, yeah... they ran out of ink for the top left button

Nah I don't buy that. At the time the camera was making the rounds last year I believe labelling the buttons gave too much away that they didn't feel comfortable to commit to (still testing, such as EVF), if they were always going to end up being 'Lock' and 'SR' they would have been printed on like they have been now, not omitted like before. They simply hadn't quite made their minds up about a few things. Or... they're messing with us cuz its great passive marketing and hype aahahha

Last edited by BruceBanner; 05-17-2020 at 11:38 PM.
05-17-2020, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #435
Pentaxian

I heard that part of this new AF module was also bringing a new SR to the table, which might also account for the presence of a dedicated SR button... maybe pixelshift works with this new SR? Let's hope so.
Where? AF and SR are separate, doing different things.
Pixelshift's only requirement is to have precise control over the sensor's movement. I see no reason not to have it.

We have no AF tracking at all, AF.C is not AF tracking per se, I'm talking about the kind of tracking that has AF locked on and follows the target around the screen, kinda like Face Detection with how a box around the head is always there regardless of where the user moves.
My K-1 has tracking, I used it. Both your cameras have it. It's quite primitive but it's there.
This function was introduced with the K-3. Ironically, their marketing used a bike...

And in regards to EVF being accurate to the image you're about to take, I think that depends on the EVF system, but one professional wedding photographer in the San Fran Bay reports his Fuji gives him this. Of course if you bring off camera flash to the party, that's different, but essentially the user is reporting on a much more realistic WYSIWYG affair when using EVF vs OVF and in practical use results in less needing to chimp shots. As a wedding tog myself, the OVF can fool you a little and you have accidentally overlooked an exposure triangle and messed a few shots up, EVF reduces this likelihood apparently.
Of course marketing will lie about WYSIWYG.
But, let's say I'd shoot propeller airplanes
Closed Thread