Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2020, 11:51 PM   #436
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Hehe, yeah... they ran out of ink for the top left button

Nah I don't buy that. At the time the camera was making the rounds last year I believe labelling the buttons gave too much away that they didn't feel comfortable to commit to (still testing, such as EVF), if they were always going to end up being 'Lock' and 'SR' they would have been printed on like they have been now, not omitted like before. They simply hadn't quite made their minds up about a few things. Or... they're messing with us cuz its great passive marketing and hype aahahha
Why wouldn't you "buy that"? The buttons are not hardwired, changing their function is perfectly feasible.

Labeling the SR button have too much away? OK, tell me, what do you know now? Still nothing (except there's a SR button)? q.e.d.

I said the user interface wasn't finalized, didn't I? Assigning functions to buttons is a very deliberate process.
Same reason why the joystick didn't had the new texture from the start.

05-17-2020, 11:53 PM   #437
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Where? AF and SR are separate, doing different things.
Pixelshift's only requirement is to have precise control over the sensor's movement. I see no reason not to have it.

My K-1 has tracking, I used it. Both your cameras have it. It's quite primitive but it's there.
This function was introduced with the K-3. Ironically, their marketing used a bike...
PENTAX K-3 "Auto tracking" - YouTube

Of course marketing will lie about WYSIWYG.
But, let's say I'd shoot propeller airplanes
Yeah... it's 'not very good' shall we say, single AF point and moving camera and the AF point is better by far. let's hope pixelshift at least is in the camera (and probably Dynamic Pixelshift as well)
05-18-2020, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #438
Pentaxian

Yeah... it's 'not very good' shall we say, single AF point and moving camera and the AF point is better by far. let's hope pixelshift at least is in the camera (and probably Dynamic Pixelshift as well)
But that was their first generation; I hope to see a second generation with the K-new. Supported by more processing power, a higher resolution RGB metering system sensor, and more, denser AF points.

The thing is: we do not need an EVF for that.
05-18-2020, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #439

The absolute madmen at Ricoh Pentax actually did it. They deleted the nasty pentaprism housing overhang. It looks beautiful.

Sure hope it comes with GPS. Though I never really understood why it needed its own button, it's not like there is any noticeable battery drain from it.

05-18-2020, 12:49 AM   #440
Veteran Member

And in regards to EVF being accurate to the image you're about to take, I think that depends on the EVF system
EVFs are great, at least the new ones with 3.6m dots resolution or more, with high refresh rate. It opens up lots of options for the shooter. But, it seems that for the moment we won't see an EVF in the form of hibrid viewfinder in any DSLR despite the pantents we saw from Pentax and Canon. That may change if Ricoh is right and photographers will start to go back in a few years to DSLRs. To me (and I repeat myself) to me it's hard to go back to DSLR after shooting with both systems for 2-3 years and after owning mirrorless and DSLR for 7-8 months. But, this is another story and we have to play with what we have available and with what gear we enjoy shooting with.

It will be nice to have face detect priority in the new Pentax APS-C while shooting through OVF. It's doable and it work well in some DSLRs and this option seems to be vastly improved in 1Dx Mark III. It will require a lot of processing power and this will probably increase the overall price of the camera. It will require also very fast memory cards...

Even if I try not to have high expectations when comes to the new Pentax APS-C af-c performance given the improvements from one camera to the other (which were visible but not vastly improved), the added joystick (and maybe a new processor that can handle UHS-II or even CF memory cards) it's an indication that Ricoh put some effort this time to have an improved af-c with more than 45 af points that will add accuracy in holding the focus on moving subjects.
05-18-2020, 12:53 AM   #441
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For me the flash/GPS thing is a bit of a "dunno". I miss flash more often than I use gps, but when nicer weather comes I really want to use astrotracer... and I do have an external flash, but the Metz 48 is bigger than an onboard flash so it stays home unless I *know* I'll need it.
05-18-2020, 01:01 AM   #442
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote
Sure hope it comes with GPS. Though I never really understood why it needed its own button, it's not like there is any noticeable battery drain from it.
The lack of a dedicated button it doesn't necessary mean that it won't have GPS. I have GPS in my 5D Mark IV and it's accessible from menu or you can transfer it to My menu shorcut (it's a custom menu where you can add the most used features from the entire menu) which is available by pressing one button. Maybe Ricoh decided that they no longer need a dedicated GPS button and they made available the GPS via menu or maybe it can be set to one of the customisable buttons.

05-18-2020, 01:02 AM   #443
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But that was their first generation; I hope to see a second generation with the K-new. Supported by more processing power, a higher resolution RGB metering system sensor, and more, denser AF points.

The thing is: we do not need an EVF for that.
I was simply stating my conspiracy theory, patents submitted, mystery buttons, just having fun really. EVF does have some advantages, as Dan Rentea seems to agree, however that doesn't mean that advantages and improvements can't be had in the pure OVF experience. I sincerely hope you're right and that this next generation (with their complete AF redesign) brings us some significant improvements in this area.

However... I do find it interesting to hear of professionals ditching their Nikon FF DSLR's in favour of the crop Fuji XT-3's... basically for the EVF. I can't comment, I'm not suggesting it's a good move, bad or whatever, I am simply intrigued. It suggests that the power of the EVF in professional photography is quite compelling and advantageous that the tog is willing to compromise on other things such as FF. In my head I'm thinking 'why choose? If we can have a camera that can take the advantages of mirrorless (EVF) coupled with the advantages of DSLR's (OVF) then it sounds on paper like a good idea to me'.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
EVFs are great, at least the new ones with 3.6m dots resolution or more, with high refresh rate. It opens up lots of options for the shooter. But, it seems that for the moment we won't see an EVF in the form of hibrid viewfinder in any DSLR despite the pantents we saw from Pentax and Canon. That may change if Ricoh is right and photographers will start to go back in a few years to DSLRs. To me (and I repeat myself) to me it's hard to go back to DSLR after shooting with both systems for 2-3 years and after owning mirrorless and DSLR for 7-8 months. But, this is another story and we have to play with what we have available and with what gear we enjoy shooting with.

It will be nice to have face detect priority in the new Pentax APS-C while shooting through OVF. It's doable and it work well in some DSLRs and this option seems to be vastly improved in 1Dx Mark III. It will require a lot of processing power and this will probably increase the overall price of the camera. It will require also very fast memory cards...

Even if I try not to have high expectations when comes to the new Pentax APS-C af-c performance given the improvements from one camera to the other (which were visible but not vastly improved), the added joystick (and maybe a new processor that can handle UHS-II or even CF memory cards) it's an indication that Ricoh put some effort this time to have an improved af-c with more than 45 af points that will add accuracy in holding the focus on moving subjects.
I think Fuji have a Hybrid OVF/EVF camera already in the market? No idea what it's like however...
05-18-2020, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #444
Pentaxian

(...)

In 2018 Pentax put in a patent for Hybrid OVF/EVF. (...)
The patent application was filed on the 15th of March, 2017 under number JP,2017-049367 and published on the 27th of September, 2018 under number JP,2018-151588,A.

The patent hasn't been granted yet, may be because other manufacturers already hold patents providing similar solutions.
05-18-2020, 01:09 AM - 2 Likes   #445
Pentaxian

(...)

I think Fuji have a Hybrid OVF/EVF camera already in the market? No idea what it's like however...
They do, it's the Fujifilm X-Pro series: X-Pro1 (2012), X-Pro2 (2016) and X-Pro3 (2019). It's a bit different since the optical viewfinder isn't TTL. The outcome is a bit of a mixed bag with a limited magnification and an optical viewfinder best suited to medium focal lengths (same as a rangefinder camera).
05-18-2020, 01:18 AM - 3 Likes   #446
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I managed to read all the posts because for many of them I had to try hard

First of all I’m glad that Pentax did a “walk around” for the camera explaining what you would see under glass at the CP+ had it been organized. Explaining external characteristics gave me the first really great information about the wonderful OVF!

In a world that MILCs are pushed by most companies, I love it that Pentax differentiates by improving the DSLRs’ main characteristic even more! These guys are really know what they’re doing.

Now the words liveliness and dynamism about the K-new character are exactly those two that are missing from the K-1 philosophy. It will be the greatest complimentary camera for my K-1 for covering every photographic situation and as I’m a sport and nature oriented shooter, I will definitely buy one as soon as it hits the selves

Concerning our PF and many childish reactions and opinions I read about the K-new without knowing the specs yet, I feel that many members are trying to cover their inability to buy it or justify its usefulness for their style with irrelevant cons that hold them away from another bad Pentax product... it’s obvious and quite ridiculous guys! Come on we are grown ups, speak the truth. Thumbs up for those few that included comments like “I won’t buy the camera but I want to express my opinion anyway” and even more credits to those polite members that went a long way saying they probably shouldn’t comment on something they aren’t interested in. I love to read their viewpoints on the contrary to those bashing the new camera cause they can’t get (or they don’t want it).

I’m sure everyone would jump up from joy like a kid if they were given the camera, but they pretend the situation is different! I will wait for the first member to comment it was a mistake that he/she participated in the give away for the new camera and had he knew how inferior this K-new was to his/her K-3, K-5 or any other previous member of the family, he wouldn’t have been one of those hundreds who put effort and qualified to win it. He gets the prize

Last edited by redpit; 05-18-2020 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Typos
05-18-2020, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #447
Veteran Member

However... I do find it interesting to hear of professionals ditching their Nikon FF DSLR's in favour of the crop Fuji XT-3's... basically for the EVF. I can't comment, I'm not suggesting it's a good move, bad or whatever, I am simply intrigued. It suggests that the power of the EVF in professional photography is quite compelling and advantageous that the tog is willing to compromise on other things such as FF.
The eye af when shooting at wide apertures made a former Romanian Nikon ambassador to ditch his 2 D4s cameras for Sony A9 II last year. He is shooting weddings for a living. Here is his portfolio. Fotograf profesionist de nunta | Marian Sterea

The eye af was the main reason I also bought a mirrorless, but the advantages that came with EVFs were nice surprices that made my DSLR to stay more and more in backpack. I said a few comments back that I have the interesting opportunity to shoot dental surgery implants and the silent shutter is a nice addition for my mirrorless and allowed me to shoot without distracting the doctors or the pacient.

It's not that great, it's not bad either. You're looking through a fixed lens in the viewfinder (rangefinder style). A longer lens can get in the way of being able to see the whole scene.
05-18-2020, 01:48 AM   #448
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is similar 'third wheel' on top of the camera ,and then there is sFn button right next o it. Propably when you push that you can see on that top display/OVF what function you are adjusting(HDR/EV -/+ /GPS...) no need for additional button. SR on the other hand would make much sense to have as separate button(to me). Since I usually keep the selection wheel in SR position, and have to change it in different place just for that and then back to SR. Putting camera on tripod, and then remove it for other shot, and then...you know.

and it might be that they have managed to get SR to work mecanically with video too, so one can choose, no SR/ Mecanical /electronical/electric + Mechanic..?

Anyways, lot to be looking up to. I have said that I'm waiting for next FF flagship, but if this has lot of bells and whistles, it might be hard to resist. Especially that OVF has gained my attention, which was my one gripe with K-3, which led to me buying K-1 and selling K-3.
05-18-2020, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #449
Pentaxian

I was simply stating my conspiracy theory, patents submitted, mystery buttons, just having fun really. EVF does have some advantages, as Dan Rentea seems to agree, however that doesn't mean that advantages and improvements can't be had in the pure OVF experience. I sincerely hope you're right and that this next generation (with their complete AF redesign) brings us some significant improvements in this area.

However... I do find it interesting to hear of professionals ditching their Nikon FF DSLR's in favour of the crop Fuji XT-3's... basically for the EVF. I can't comment, I'm not suggesting it's a good move, bad or whatever, I am simply intrigued. It suggests that the power of the EVF in professional photography is quite compelling and advantageous that the tog is willing to compromise on other things such as FF. In my head I'm thinking 'why choose? If we can have a camera that can take the advantages of mirrorless (EVF) coupled with the advantages of DSLR's (OVF) then it sounds on paper like a good idea to me'.
Of course EVFs have advantages. And disadvantages, too.

People are pursuing all sorts of things, hype being one of them.

I like the idea of an EVF. Removing the restrictions imposed by the reflex viewfinder system, that is - while keeping the TTL viewing. But, EVFs don't work for me; maybe in a few more generations. They work for rmany others
I sort of like the idea of a hybrid viewfinder. But I'm concerned it means combining a so-so OVF with a so-so EVF. I still remember Sony's attempt - they tried getting live view with fast AF - which resulted in the worst SLR OVF ever.
But if they can combine a K-new level OVF with a so-so EVF... go for it!

Yes they do - the X100 series. (edit: and X-pro, as Mistral75 pointed out)
But it's combining a tunnel viewfinder with an EVF - not the same thing at all.
05-18-2020, 02:20 AM   #450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
It's soft and slow. There's a reason there's long fast prime lenses, otherwise they wouldn't be sold.
Mine isn't soft. It is a surprisingly high quality lens. It isn't my first choice for use with a converter. Never tried though....
The lens is a game changer.
In the film days I never imagined having a pocketable super telephoto (angle of view of a 450mm lens for the 35mm format) lens. Nor could I imagine shooting at the high ISO values feasible today...

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 05-18-2020 at 02:26 AM.
Closed Thread