Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2020, 02:23 AM   #451
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
live view is missing phrase detection?
no automatic eye focus?

This is what all other competitor is adding.
putting a sensor to turn off screen, adding AF points are not factors that makes it a successful camera.
If I own a K3, K70 Kp, this is no point to move to this new APSC flagship

05-18-2020, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #452
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
no automatic eye focus?

putting a sensor to turn off screen, adding AF points are not factors that makes it a successful camera.
How do you know?

My guess is that this camera will add better tracking auto focus, better video, and faster functioning overall. Odds of it only being a K70 with a little better OVF and touch screen are pretty minimal.
05-18-2020, 02:47 AM - 10 Likes   #453
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

no automatic eye focus?

Are you telling us there's no point in you moving to the new APS-C flagship, or no point in anyone moving to it? If the former, fine - thanks for letting us know. If the latter, I'd say that's more than a tad presumptious, and frankly - like a fart in an elevator - wrong on so many levels. You can't speak for an entire community, all of whom have differing requirements, priorities and preferences.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-18-2020 at 02:52 AM.
05-18-2020, 02:52 AM - 2 Likes   #454
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
no automatic eye focus?

They haven't said anything about the sensor, so we don't know yet if it's crippled with metal strips to enable PDAF during live view.

The Canon 90D has face detection through the viewfinder - Pentax haven't said anything about the K-new having it or not, so there's no point in putting the cart in front of the ox as we say.

Alternatively, if you're content with your K3, K70 and/or KP, then there's no need to be mad at the potential shortcomings of the K-new.

05-18-2020, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #455
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The problem is that eveyone sits in a box of their past actions - and people have so much trouble seeing past that.

Several years ago, MSNBC posted pictures of the College "Final 4" Basketball Final. My first thought was that they had gotten serious DOF somehow; when I downloaded several of their images, I discovered that they had EXIF attached! They had used ISO values of 8000 which allowed both 1/1000 and f6.3 - but they could afford a Canon 1DXii.

Around the same time, a man who leads safariis posted that he was now recommending a floating ISO value so the people he guided could shoot both a fixed f-stop and and appropriate shutter speed - that sounded great, but I was unwilling to push my K-30 above ISO=800, which makes TAv mode basically useless. I was thinking in a "K-30 sized box". Only after I got the KP, and realized that ISO values like 12000 or 25000 had little 'cost', did I enable the 'box' to stop getting in my way.

I believe we are putting the new camera in boxes of our own making, but Pentax is not limited by our thinking. The K-70, KP, and K-1ii have shown that Pentax is willing to try new things, and we should allow those new things to grow, and then see where they go. If we have to change how we do things, then so be it.
I don't want to get into some kind of big argument here, we have enough of that already. I understand that the KP and K-1 produce really good results at high ISO. But with any camera it's just not true that shots taken at ISO 10,000, 25,000 and higher have the save level of noise, details and color reproduction as shots taken at 800 or 1600 or whatever lower value you want to pick. Just go look at something like the DPReview studio comparison tool using the KP at various ISO levels.

While the KP is undeniably better than other cameras such as a K-3 or most other brand's cameras, you still clearly lose details turning up the ISO. That may not matter to you at the sizes and viewing distances you use, I'm sure you get results you like out of really high ISO shots, but it's still clearly there.

---------- Post added 05-18-20 at 07:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote
Sure hope it comes with GPS. Though I never really understood why it needed its own button, it's not like there is any noticeable battery drain from it.
So I don't know. I should do some controlled tests I suppose. But I've had a number of occasions where I go to turn on the K-3ii and the battery is dead, despite what I thought was a mostly charged battery when I turned it off hours/days before. Each time I remember thinking, "huh, I had the GPS on, didn't I?" Maybe a coincidence, but I now have the thought and sometimes the muscle memory to turn off GPS when I'm done shooting so I don't kill the battery.

Anybody else ever see this?
Attached Images

05-18-2020, 04:40 AM   #456
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't want to get into some kind of big argument here, we have enough of that already. I understand that the KP and K-1 produce really good results at high ISO.
So I don't know.

Anybody else ever see this?
Getting a noisy shot or not getting a shot at all....
I'll take the noisy one which can often be salvaged even at 50+ ISO's, and almost certainly at 25,600 and lower. I know, just use faster glass, mo' money. I've no problem with that line of thinking (heck look at my own) but a lot of shooters would prefer not to spend the dollars and instead spend the time rescuing an otherwise lost photo opportunity. With the already better-than-most high-ISO capabilities of the K-70, KP and K1 the job is even made easier, and the cost of fast glass not always worth the extra and often significant expense.

We have a 6MP Club thread here on Pentaxforums. Have you ever looked at what they accomplish with them?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/347661-six-megapixel-club-84.html

It's all about technique!
05-18-2020, 04:47 AM   #457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Getting a noisy shot or not getting a shot at all....
I'll take the noisy one which can often be salvaged even at 50+ ISO's, and almost certainly at 25,600 and lower. I know, just use faster glass, mo' money. I've no problem with that line of thinking (heck look at my own) but a lot of shooters would prefer not to spend the dollars and instead spend the time rescuing an otherwise lost photo opportunity. With the already better-than-most high-ISO capabilities of the K-70, KP and K1 the job is even made easier, and the cost of fast glass not always worth the extra and often significant expense.

We have a 6MP Club thread here on Pentaxforums. Have you ever looked at what they accomplish with them?
The Six-Megapixel Club - Page 84 - PentaxForums.com

It's all about technique!
I do not doubt that people get all kinds of great shots in all kinds of conditions. Yes, having a shot at 25,600 is better than no shot at all.

But there's never been a camera made that produced equal or better images at ISO 25,600 compared to 1600 or 3200 or 6400.

05-18-2020, 05:06 AM   #458
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not doubt that people get all kinds of great shots in all kinds of conditions. Yes, having a shot at 25,600 is better than no shot at all.

But there's never been a camera made that produced equal or better images at ISO 25,600 compared to 1600 or 3200 or 6400.
:/
Of course not, reductio ad absurdum.

Sidenote: Pentax has always seemed to have jpeg issues with the shade of red used for comparisons at DPR.

Last edited by gatorguy; 05-18-2020 at 07:18 AM.
05-18-2020, 05:26 AM   #459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no automatic eye focus?

A bit premature conclusion as the specification of the camera is still unknown.....
05-18-2020, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
A bit premature conclusion as the specification of the camera is still unknown.....
I would never buy a camera with phrase detection ;-)
05-18-2020, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I would never buy a camera with phrase detection ;-)
Unlike Sony and Nikon users, who are pretty okay with their raw autocorrect
05-18-2020, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #462
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Well there are a great deal of reasons why, first and foremost is the IQ from that lens and tc would not be what I am looking for.
Use the lens, then decide.

K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM....

Spring has sprung.

I find uses for it, especially as a walk around lens. Just another kick ass lens Pentax put out, lighter and better than the competition, that users of other systems will never appreciate because of their preconceptions and lack of willingness to give it a shot. Most of of them have never seen a telephoto this small this good. So they have no reference to even judge it by.

The fact that you think you couldn't find uses for it shows the limitations of your perspective and lack willingness to give anything Pentax a chance. The images posted on the forum convinced me to give this lens a chance. I would never have bought it's predesser, which IMHO was about on par with the offerings from other brands. I even take it out to the blind and put it on a small table. With the Tarmo 300 2.8 and 1.7x adaptor on the K-3 I put the and put the DA 55-300 PLM on the K-1 for birds that are too big and too close for 500mm, but you won't like the results, they aren't good enough for you.

Just posting the image so others won't be unduly biased by your prejudice.

Some people want you to know, this image isn't good enough for them...
Then post images of their own that in their own minds are better, further confusing the conversation.

But their photo objectives appear to mean it has to have Nikon in the exif, and it doesn't matter how good other gear is, they doesn't need to look at it to evaluate it. It's just not what the want, and they'll spend lots of time saying that.

The DA 55-300 is an ƒ8 and be there lens, and the images it gets with it are the best possible, because the other lens I brought with me was to big, to cumbersome and too bulky to be of use in the moment the image was taken. What might be possible with other gear in other situations is irrelevant. And it's been rated best in class, miles ahead of everyone else's 70-300 type offerings.

But if you buy one, be warned, some Nikon users don't like it.
They've never held it, they've never used it, they've never had anything like it, but they don't like it, and they need to let you know that.

All you have to do to believe in your brand is ignore what everyone else is doing.

In this case, I suspect he doesn't believe what the DA 5-300 can do, because it's not available on Nikon mount. A 300mm lens that works well with a TC in good light and weighs 442 grams and can be found for less than $500, and fits in the small detachable side pocket of a lens holster. How could something be useful to anyone if it doesn't have the Nikon label on it?

I've used big Sigma 120-400 type lenses, I use several 2.8 telephotos I have a DA*60-250 that in many ways runs circles around offerings from other companies, and I can find a use for this lens... but users of other brands can't ... pity.

When are all those other brands going to fill out their line ups with a less than a pound 300mm telephoto zoom that can perform on a full frame? And can be purchased new for $400 from time to time?

No wonder they're losing money. They are doomed.

Last edited by normhead; 05-18-2020 at 08:03 AM.
05-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #463
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I don't know. I should do some controlled tests I suppose. But I've had a number of occasions where I go to turn on the K-3ii and the battery is dead, despite what I thought was a mostly charged battery when I turned it off hours/days before. Each time I remember thinking, "huh, I had the GPS on, didn't I?" Maybe a coincidence, but I now have the thought and sometimes the muscle memory to turn off GPS when I'm done shooting so I don't kill the battery.Anybody else ever see this?
Yes, my K-3II rapidly drains the battery if I forget to turn it off after shooting. So, it's on-switch, then GPS on when I start up, and then GPS off, switch off when I'm done - I've got into the habit now.

And I agree with Norm, without spending a boatload of money the PLM at around f8 is pretty darn good.
05-18-2020, 07:25 AM - 3 Likes   #464
Pentaxian

So what have we learned in 31 pages? I learned how some people come in here just to get everyone riled up:

1. Make up some bogus specifications about the new camera
2. Complain loudly about the fake specification you just made up: "why would anyone buy this camera??????"
3. Sit down and watch.

It's called "trolling" and it's as old as the internet...
05-18-2020, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #465
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So what have we learned in 31 pages? I learned how some people come in here just to get everyone riled up:

1. Make up some bogus specifications about the new camera
2. Complain loudly about the fake specification you just made up: "why would anyone buy this camera??????"
3. Sit down and watch.

It's called "trolling" and it's as old as the internet...
You forgot the ad hominem attacks and straw men.
Closed Thread