Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #601
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I generally agree, with the one caveat that you run out of hands if you don't have a tripod - but that is only relevant for close to the ground macro work, and maybe one or to applications that don't occur to me - havingsaid which, I've so far managed macro withthe K-3, so I'd probably use it wery little
I agree with the ‘run out of hands’ comment, which is partially why I posted that photo. K-3ii users must have become used to carrying a small flash unit with them, and I was thinking that users of the replacement could at least find room for a small tripod, and this was a “proof of concept” on our deck .... but I’d already become tired of the comments about ‘flippy’ LCDs. To me, concerns about things like MP - even flash - are more important .... but this is all we get right now.

05-20-2020, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #602
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
K-3ii users must have become used to carrying a small flash unit with them
What for? I think I've only popped my flash up to test the function of the flash release button...

Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but most people don't need a flash for everyday use (especially not when you can apparently shoot at ISO 51200 all the time...)
05-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
What for? I think I've only popped my flash up to test the function of the flash release button...

Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but most people don't need a flash for everyday use (especially not when you can apparently shoot at ISO 51200 all the time...)
I wish you would stop talking about shooting at 51200 - I have done that only a few times since getting my KP.
My comment about a flash was because K-3 users were complaining endlessly at one time about no OBF.
I see the same thing happening now about a 'flippy LCD'.
05-20-2020, 03:15 PM - 3 Likes   #604
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wish you would stop talking about shooting at 51200
Well, this is a discussion forum.

05-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #605
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In five years of owning a K-3II, I’ve used my offboard flash unit maybe half a dozen times. I don’t miss a built-in flash at all, and the GPS is of very much more use to me. YMMV.
05-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #606

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

On the subject of using on-board flash, I do find it useful at times mainly for fill-in flash usage. So I would miss not having one....
05-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #607
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
On the subject of using on-board flash, I do find it useful at times mainly for fill-in flash usage. So I would miss not having one....
There are reasonable workarounds for situational flash use. I sometimes use fill flash for backlit outdoor shots. For those cases with K-1 and K-3 I use(d) the tiny Non-PTTL AF201FG (AF200FG) and I frequently use it with KP even though there is an OBF. It has a GN 66’.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-20-2020 at 05:12 PM.
05-20-2020, 06:31 PM - 9 Likes   #608
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can someone wake me up when there's something new actually known about the K-new?
05-20-2020, 09:20 PM - 7 Likes   #609
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Can someone wake me up when there's something new actually known about the K-new?
I think I have decided to buy one.... thats new (to me). Might not even wait for a dcxpert sale either (yes, that's just plain reckless.... but I'm getting bored). I'm starting to like black cameras again as well.... go figure.

Anyway.... plenty of time to try and come up with a reason for Anna as to why I need a 4th camera.... simple plausable reason suggestions would be appreciated though.... especially those that make sense when ones retirement savings are somewhat southish.... and the world is in mild chaos.

Current thoughts are:

1. to hell with it... I'm getting another camera
2. it's my birthday
3. the world is coming to an end.... and I want to make sure I get a photo of it
4. just sneak the purchase in and hope for the best (this could bring about point 3.... if discovered.... probally just my world though)

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-20-2020 at 09:34 PM.
05-20-2020, 09:42 PM - 2 Likes   #610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I think I have decided to buy one....
Good on you np.
I made that decision ages ago, and ever since I've been (patiently) waiting to see the specs so I can justify the decision.
I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Cheers,
Terry
05-20-2020, 09:50 PM - 9 Likes   #611
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
1. to hell with it... I'm getting another camera
2. it's my birthday
3. the world is coming to an end.... and I want to make sure I get a photo of it
4. just sneak the purchase in and hope for the best (this could bring about point 3.... if discovered.... probally just my world though)
5. Personal economic stimulus, 'I'm just buying one to help the economy".
6. Cameras wear out just like cars.
7. It comes with 48 rolls of toilet paper and a 15kg bag of rice.
8. I've saved a lot not going to the Pub over the last few weeks.
05-21-2020, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #612
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Quite frankly the D500 AF is the standard I will use to compare with K-new. My Dad gave me his whole Nikon system so I am waiting to see what Pentax will bring to the table. If they are close or at par I'll be all in. If not I may seriously go two systems as I already have Nikkor lenses. But honestly, I am really really really hoping Pentax pulls this off. I just don't like the UI of Nikon compared to Pentax. Everything on my K-3 seems so well placed and thought out.
My guess is that pricing will decide all.

It may be that Pentaxians don't want a two CPU D500 copy if it also has the price tag of a D500 - likely to be more, actually, because it will sell in smaller quantities, and economics being economics. The DFA*50 is a Sigma Art killer, but you know what? For all our moaning over the years - where is the big, modern, edge to edge prime? - very few of us have bought it, or ever will. I think the same of the recent DA*11-18, and the future DFA21 Limited.

A pricing in the $1200-$1300 range is more like the launch price of the K-3 but will get something only incrementally better, more like a D7200, for instance, but with Pentax special sauce, of course!

Last edited by clackers; 05-21-2020 at 01:12 AM.
05-21-2020, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #613
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
I guess the question in my mind isn't whether the K-New competes with Fuji or Oly. Or even Sony, as their A9 is clearly targeted way up market.

It's more can it compete with the D500? This is a 4 yr old high end APS-C DSLR. Basically exactly what Pentax seems to be aiming for. The D500 is regarded as the best focusing camera short of the A9s and the pro-level Nikons and Canons. And well built, good lens selection, and a tilt screen.

Seems like if the K-New can't at least equal the D500 capabilities, pretty much the market will be limited to existing Pentax people upgrading. People wanting to go mirrorless will go mirrorless, but I'd think if one is looking for a high-end APSC sports/wildlife DSLR body, the D500 is the obvious alternative, and should be the benchmark.
It probably depends on the lens you plan to use. Probably won't be much better than existing cameras with older SDM and screw driven lenses, but should be quite a bit better with DC and PLM lenses. My experience is that people who complain most about auto focus aren't using lenses with the fastest auto focus motors.
05-21-2020, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #614
Pentaxian

All in all, Pentax latest models has had pretty good focusing. IMO. As good as that old tech could do, and if it is carefully used, it actually can give quite pleasing result(but you have to know, and check it constantly and take couple more shots, just to be sure. If they have made it more consistent and sensitive, it is enough for me. Also AF-c should be more snappy. Already from K-3 to K-1 it made a big leap, for me. Have not tried K-1II. This focusing system should be brand new, with the good things they have from the past.

Couple more months!
05-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #615
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
My guess is that pricing will decide all.

It may be that Pentaxians don't want a two CPU D500 copy if it also has the price tag of a D500 - likely to be more, actually, because it will sell in smaller quantities, and economics being economics. The DFA*50 is a Sigma Art killer, but you know what? For all our moaning over the years - where is the big, modern, edge to edge prime? - very few of us have bought it, or ever will. I think the same of the recent DA*11-18, and the future DFA21 Limited.

A pricing in the $1200-$1300 range is more like the launch price of the K-3 but will get something only incrementally better, more like a D7200, for instance, but with Pentax special sauce, of course!
No brand has a monolithic user base with a fixed requirement set. When you say "our moaning" that means some fraction of the Pentax user base. And after almost 15 years of being an APS-C company the fraction who went full frame is probably less than half. Maybe much less, because of price. I'm among the APS-C faithful who certainly never moaned for a big, modern, edge-to-edge prime or the DA*11-18. I don't have a use for those lenses that justifies $1000+ pricetags.

I will almost certainly figure out a way to buy the K-new if it has the D500-ish performance we're expecting. I'm surprised and happy that they're making a camera that seems to check most of my boxes. But I have no idea how that's going to sell to the larger market. If I were someone who mainly shot portraits or landscapes or architecture I probably wouldn't buy this camera, and there are many Pentaxians who do just that. I think this is pretty risky for Ricoh, because I know I'm in a minority in trying to shoot sports with Pentax and a higher-cost action- and wildlife-oriented camera might just flop with their established base. And with no marketing it's hard to see it making an impact with users of other brands.

---------- Post added 05-21-20 at 07:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Couple more months!
Didn't they say they were aiming for a 2020 release? I take that to mean they're pushing hard to try to make November for Christmas sales. I'll be very surprised if this comes out in July.

---------- Post added 05-21-20 at 08:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
See, that’s the difference between you and me*. I think the entire snapshot sharing culture is an abomination. I don’t even have a FB Or Twitter account.

I use cameras to make images for my own use and I don’t share many of them at all except on Flickr or pBase. When I want to show an experience I just use my phone to take the picture and send the Instagram.

* Stated with a very light touch!!
I don't think it's an abomination. People have always wanted to share what they're doing, they just never had the tools. This is another variation of Polaroids and writing letters and all the other ways people want to connect to one another. Yes, it's frequently abused and used to brag and hit people over the head with politics and all kinds of other awful things. But I think it's fun to travel to a cool place, or do something interesting and occasionally share a great photo of the location or your family at the location with your friends. I don't post things very often, and I get that it's not for everyone.

But when I do I'd like it to be with my Pentax and a good lens, rather than my wife's phone and a three-pixel-high rendition of my kid on the soccer field from 100 yards away.
Closed Thread