Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2020, 04:33 PM - 6 Likes   #631
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Humour/Rumour

I was at the nightclub this morning and I bumped (literally, it was crowded) three Japanese tourists, they were discussing the K-New!

Now my Japanese isn't great but I can usually make out one word in a thousand if spoken slowly. Fortunately these gentlemen were rather drunk and therefore spoke v e r y s l o w l y.

It seems, as you might expect, that the K-New was delayed due to some of the new features they were trying to include. These have now been dropped.

However these features will now be included on the K-New II

I am pleased to announce that the K-New II will include both an onboard flash and an articulating screen along with 5G connectivity.

The K-New II onboard flash will have the full features of the AF540FGZ II plus WP-TTL (wireless via radio P-TTL). The tilt and rotate will be controlled by the joystick (you didn't think the joystick was only for focus points did you?). The delay was apparently due to licensing issues for the 150W transmitter needed to trigger flashes several miles away.

The K-New II articulated screen will hydraulic, powered by a small pump driven by the focus motor and it too will be controlled by the joystick. But wait, there's more! The screen will be fitted with a tripod mount allowing the camera to be articulated by the screen. This can also be controlled remotely by the joystick on the grip via a Bluetooth connection.

The K-New II has been optimised for Astro via the included Stellarium App. This will use the articulated screen as a GOTO mount allowing the tracking of any object in the Stellarium database.

The K-New II will come with 500GB free PentaxDrive cloud storage. Connection via 5G will allow continuous auto cloud backup of your photos almost anywhere.

Sorry, they didn't mention video.

05-21-2020, 04:39 PM - 10 Likes   #632
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Humour/Rumour..............................
Anyone who believes any of that, please contact me via PM.
I own a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.
05-21-2020, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #633
Pentaxian

Humour/Rumour

I was at the nightclub this morning and I bumped (literally, it was crowded) three Japanese tourists, they were discussing the K-New!
Social distancing hmmm?
05-21-2020, 05:42 PM - 5 Likes   #634
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, they didn't mention video.
If it does not boast 16K video I'm not buying.

Sorry, though I'd get in before the usual video commenters acted all enraged.

05-21-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #635
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If it does not boast 16K video I'm not buying.

Sorry, though I'd get in before the usual video commenters acted all enraged.
Cant forget FPS up to 120, no crop, 10bit 4:2:2 recording, built in ND filters, and unlimited recording time 😂😂
05-21-2020, 07:58 PM - 11 Likes   #636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is going to be a Beast. Let’s sum the guesses:

Sony 26 Mp sensor.10+ FPS plus a suitable buffer. New refined SR system. 4K video with IBIS (SR can be disabled in Video mode using SR button). 153 point AF system. 1.05x OVF. Joystick. Touchscreen with active thumbpatch.

$1495 US.

DPR Silver 88
  1. It’s a DSLR
  2. Only 153 Focus Points
  3. It’s a DSLR
  4. It’s a DSLR!
  5. That Accelerator Chip
  6. Boxy Pentax Styling
  7. That Accelerator Chip
  8. That Accelerator Chip
  9. Menu System From the Dark Ages
  10. Its a DSLR!!
  11. That Accelerator Chip
  12. AF Slow (tested with FA50/1.4, only Pentax lens we could find in the closet)
  13. Failed Tracking AF Test of Smaug Returning to His Lair
  14. Its not a MILC!!!
  15. Screen Wot?
  16. OBF Wot? (That Astro Trace Thingy)
  17. It has an Optical Viewfinder.
  18. Shut Up.
  19. That Accelerator Chip
  20. UHS
  21. Shut Up. Reply
  22. Shut Up. Reply
  23. Shut Up. Reply
  24. Shut Up. Because Pentax

Edited

Last edited by monochrome; 05-23-2020 at 08:51 PM.
05-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #637
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't have a use for those lenses that justifies $1000+ pricetags.
You've just illustrated my point, TS.

I said a lot of Pentaxians don't believe in spending big money on specialty items, and you just added yourself to that list.

Think the same of a D500 like machine. Its pricing and a set of features that don't offer any advantages to someone who just takes pictures of flowers is exactly what a marketing department will consider.

We'll see which way they decide to go!

05-21-2020, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #638
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Its pricing and a set of features that don't offer any advantages to someone who just takes pictures of flowers is exactly what a marketing department will consider.
Pentaxians won't be able to help themselves after drooling for so long. They will take the bait!

I think it will be somewhere between the Nikon D7200 and D500. if it has the same Sony sensor as the Fujifilm X-T4 then it may be surprisingly good.

Last edited by BROO; 05-21-2020 at 08:32 PM.
05-21-2020, 11:31 PM - 2 Likes   #639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is going to be a Beast.

DPR Silver 88
  1. It’s a DSLR
  2. Only 99 Focus Points - Only 72 f/2.0 Cross Type
  3. It’s a DSLR
  4. It’s a DSLR!
  5. That Accelerator Chip
  6. Boxy Pentax Styling
  7. Menu System From the Dark Ages
  8. Its a DSLR!!
  9. AF Slow (tested with FA50/1.4, only Pentax lens we could find in the closet)
  10. Failed Tracking AF Test of Smaug Returning to His Lair
  11. Its not a MILC!!!
  12. Screen Wot?
  13. OBF Wot? (Astro Trace Thingy)
  14. It has an Optical Viewfinder. Ughh.
  15. Shut Up. Because Pentax.
You forgot to add three more complaints about the accelerator (they really hate it), plus a couple other points:
-It's so heavy (it's a well known fact that the pentaprism is made out of carved neutron star glass) only Thor can lift it.
-It fits the hand well and here at the Church of Sony we believe that self-flagellation by holding the camera is crucial.
-The SD cards aren't UHS VIII compatible.
05-22-2020, 12:08 AM - 13 Likes   #640
Pentaxian

It is going to be a Beast.

DPR Silver 88
  1. It’s a DSLR
  2. Only 99 Focus Points - Only 72 f/2.0 Cross Type
  3. It’s a DSLR
  4. It’s a DSLR!
  5. That Accelerator Chip
  6. Boxy Pentax Styling
  7. Menu System From the Dark Ages
  8. Its a DSLR!!
  9. AF Slow (tested with FA50/1.4, only Pentax lens we could find in the closet)
  10. Failed Tracking AF Test of Smaug Returning to His Lair
  11. Its not a MILC!!!
  12. Screen Wot?
  13. OBF Wot? (Astro Trace Thingy)
  14. It has an Optical Viewfinder. Ughh.
  15. Shut Up. Because Pentax.
more than 99
05-22-2020, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[*]Failed Tracking AF Test of Smaug Returning to His Lair
Damn. I spent the last 8 months building and disguising a hide for photographing the local one and the K-new can’t even focus on it? Come on!!!
05-22-2020, 12:44 AM - 2 Likes   #642
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Competing isn't the same as at least equaling another product's strong points. Competing isn't the same as offering the best AF system on the market.
Pentax managed to compete with the K-1. They will manage to compete - on different terms - with the K-new.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The D500, great as it is, fails to match lower-priced Pentaxes in numerous features. If the K-New's AF is even in the same ballpark as the D500, the camera will be a huge win because of the all the other (assumed) features it will have, making it a better all-around shooter than the Nikon.
Totally agree. When Pentax announced they are making a FF camera I was hoping for something like the D810 (which I still consider one of the best FF DSLRs) and they made a 810 in Pentax way, better in many sectors with excellent IQ. Now the "target" should be the D500 (Canon has "forgotten" the 7DII successor) and I'm expecting a K-new that will be the Pentax answer to the D500. I'm very optimistic that they will once more manage to bring out a real competing camera! Since Canonikon are switching their attention to MILC market, Pentax focus on improving the DSLRs is to me a very clever move which could make them the top brand/choice in a wide part of the photographic market that I don't see shrinking as it was believed when MILCs appeared and were presented as the next big thing that will eliminate the DSLRs. An excellent OVF will continue to be a serious asset for many photographers, regardless of what other technologies from MILC cameras it will be combined with (hybrid OVF/EVF, eye detection, CAF etc).

Anyway, I'm really excited from the K-new and I'm expecting more info about the specs and features!
05-22-2020, 12:59 AM - 2 Likes   #643
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Prior to the news of the larger OVF, there has been far more talk on this forum of Pentax "needing" to improve AF than "needing" a better OVF. For years, Pentax has been noted for using good OVF's even in lower-end models, and has also been noted for relatively poor continuous AF performance.

Well, yes, but I didn't dispute the fact that there have been hundreds of posts all over the forum demanding better AF. I simply pointed out that the majority of those posts have come from a handful of people who keep banging on about it at every opportunity they get.

In fact, the vast majority of posts demanding that Pentax should do this-or-that come from about half a dozen names that turn up again and again. It's very easy on a forum like this for a small but highly active number of people to create an illusion that a particular point of view is more widely held than it really is.
05-22-2020, 01:31 AM - 3 Likes   #644
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Totally agree. When Pentax announced they are making a FF camera I was hoping for something like the D810 (which I still consider one of the best FF DSLRs) and they made a 810 in Pentax way, better in many sectors with excellent IQ. Now the "target" should be the D500 (Canon has "forgotten" the 7DII successor) and I'm expecting a K-new that will be the Pentax answer to the D500. I'm very optimistic that they will once more manage to bring out a real competing camera! Since Canonikon are switching their attention to MILC market, Pentax focus on improving the DSLRs is to me a very clever move which could make them the top brand/choice in a wide part of the photographic market that I don't see shrinking as it was believed when MILCs appeared and were presented as the next big thing that will eliminate the DSLRs. An excellent OVF will continue to be a serious asset for many photographers, regardless of what other technologies from MILC cameras it will be combined with (hybrid OVF/EVF, eye detection, CAF etc).

Anyway, I'm really excited from the K-new and I'm expecting more info about the specs and features!
The K-1 is just loaded with practical, useful features. It lags in continuous shooting and there's the thing with tracking and the usual overblown complaints, but everything else is well beyond what most people need.

And I think Canon believes the 7Dii successor is called R5, spec-sheet-wise that thing's gonna be a monster... now there's just the small matter of ponying up for it and those RF lenses .

---------- Post added 05-22-20 at 01:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It's very easy on a forum like this for a small but highly active number of people to create an illusion that a particular point of view is more widely held than it really is.
I think the scientific term is "a vocal minority", but I prefer "a bunch of screaming whiners", which incidentally sounds like a cool name for a prog metal band.
05-22-2020, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #645

Have you noticed? K-new is going to have more than 99 focus points.
Closed Thread