Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1507 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #706
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Hmmmm very interesting! Will it hold a D-FA100 with lens hood?
DFA100 diameter is 65mm. DA15/4 is 63mm and my widest DA lens in the special Limited case. I think the hood will be the issue - the case is very tight. The DA Limiteds have either pull out hoods or those funky screw in slit hoods.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-22-2020 at 07:15 PM.
05-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #707
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Cool diagrams, but not to scale.

Look at all those AF points from the Nikon and Canon. That's what we're (hopefully) going to get with the K-New!
not to scale? in what way? The AF points are in the same spot in the graphics I provided as they are in the frame as looking through the viewfinder.

Nikon used the (full frame) D5 AF module in the D500 (crop). It's nearly edge to edge AF points. 153 in total, 55 selectable. That's why it has the little joystick on the back.

The KP has only 27 points total, set tightly in the center of the frame. That photo is pulled directly from the PF review of the KP. I'm not making it up go see for yourself.

More importantly, go use a D500 and get back to me. If you haven't actually used such a high performance sport body with a modern lens, it's hard to understand what you're missing. I've used it and it's remarkably impressive for what it does. Several generations above anything on any Pentax body out today. So it made me smile reading your comments trying to downplay the gap in technology.

But yes I agree in hoping the next crop body being shown in prototype now really closes the gap. Outside of the flipscreen drama, the preview did seem to allude to a more advanced AF system than previous models -- I mean why else would you need a joystick on the rear?

Plus, the traditional lines competing with this tier body in Canon is the X0D or Nikon D7X00 series. And only recently has Canon offered it on this tier in the 90D and behold the fantastic spread and count of AF points:

The current Nikon model (D7500) in this competitive tier does not have it. What other models do? The higher end 7d II and D500 do, that's who, its true.

So I think the AF system is going to be a big leap for Pentax in this new crop body. And that's rather exciting. I doubt D500 level, but the K was never in a D500 level tier anyways.
05-22-2020, 07:19 PM   #708
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
not to scale? in what way? The AF points are in the same spot in the graphics I provided as they are in the frame as looking through the viewfinder.
I mean, each OVF is not to scale with the other. The D500 OVF is not several times as large as the KP's.

QuoteQuote:
More importantly, go use a D500 and get back to me. If you haven't actually used such a high performance sport body with a modern lens, it's hard to understand what you're missing. I've used it and it's remarkably impressive for what it does. Several generations above anything on any Pentax body out today. So it made me smile reading your comments trying to downplay the gap in technology.
Could you please tell me where I tried to "downplay" the gap between Pentax and the D500? In fact, I stated that we should hope Pentax is in the same ballpark as Nikon.

P.S. I haven't shot a D500, but I have shot a Canon 1DX mkII. Does that count?
05-22-2020, 07:28 PM - 6 Likes   #709
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess I am excluded then.

My KP provides all I want, for both action and landscape-type scenes.
At my current age of 72, I have no expectations of purchasing another camera.
I think I might be a bit the opposite of you.... as I get older and realise less time is left, I see no alternative as being logical other then.... more stuff faster..... how else will you get to try it all?

05-22-2020, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #710
mee
Veteran Member

I mean, each OVF is not to scale with the other. The D500 OVF is not several times as large as the KP's.
That isn't what the images show. You can scale the size of the frame to be the same and see the differences in focus point spread. We can't see the magnification amount without seeing an actual scene.

Could you please tell me where I tried to "downplay" the gap between Pentax and the D500? In fact, I stated that we should hope Pentax is in the same ballpark as Nikon.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss:
People who wanted the experience of having a larger OVF on an APS-C camera could move to a Nikon D500 or Canon 7D II for a small improvement, but it could be argued that those cameras are not as good - certainly no better - for all-around work as current Pentaxes.
Right there you did. Clearly a camera with such a dramatic difference in AF points, spread, and speed is going to give a better experience in all-around work.. and well all work period when it comes to focusing. Clearly if one is doing portrait work with a still subject then it's overkill. But it works exceptionally well there too. It's better to have more camera than you need than not enough.

Then you have no excuse for saying such things previously!!

The one bummer to Full Frame though is the points are more tightly bound in the middle of the frame. But 1DX2 is still really nice, comparable to D5.

Either way I think the KP and K-3 II are going to look a bit old fashioned even to Pentaxians once the next K crop is released, just by judging from the tiny preview hints in the video last week. Pair that with the updated DA* 16-50mm and you have a thing of beauty.
05-22-2020, 07:42 PM - 2 Likes   #711
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right there you did. Clearly a camera with such a dramatic difference in AF points, spread, and speed is going to give a better experience in all-around work.. and well all work period when it comes to focusing. Clearly if one is doing portrait work with a still subject then it's overkill. But it works exceptionally well there too. It's better to have more camera than you need than not enough.
The comment was directed not specifically at AF performance, but overall capability. Where is the D500's IBIS, or Pixel Shift, or Astrotracer?

Then you have no excuse for saying such things previously!!
Says the Nikon user posting in a Pentax forum.
05-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #712
Pentaxian

It would be nice to equal D500 AF, but that requires more than focus points. My KP seems to focus much more quickly if I just use center focus. If they were going to match D500 AF, I would think they would need to include a processor devoted to just AF also.

05-22-2020, 07:50 PM - 3 Likes   #713
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I think the AF system is going to be a big leap for Pentax in this new crop body. And that's rather exciting. I doubt D500 level, but the K was never in a D500 level tier anyways.
IIRC last fall @Mistral75 featured an image of the K-new mirror box that showed what appeared to be a new AF sensor the width of the entire mirror. If it is mirror-width it should have enough AF points to fill the frame on both formats, and we know Ricoh uses components across the entire range of cameras to lower unit costs. I think D500-close in the way K-1 was D800/D810 close, but without so many shortcomings.

That AF sensor makes me optimistic they’ve put a major effort behind bringing AF very close to the current best DSLR tech. I don’t want to let my imagination run away because I’ll be disappointed, but the logic of developing a sensor for FF, using it in an APSc Flagship and then making the APSc viewfinder as wide as the FF viewfinder (105% magnification) is another hint. Asahi man, @OoKU and @BROO seem to be hinting likewise.

We’ll have to wait on the other features (competitive video and mechanical SR that can be disabled, faster shutter and deep buffer, current UHS tech) but I wouldn’t count on a hybrid VF..

I think it will be a Beast. Why else would they re-do the 16~50?

Last edited by monochrome; 05-23-2020 at 06:05 AM.
05-22-2020, 08:03 PM - 7 Likes   #714
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Big viewfinder. Lots of AF points (and a new AF processor which can cope with them). Faster burst and bigger buffer than the KP (a reasonable assumption).

Take my money! I can use the slow cameras (645Z, K-1 Mark II, KP) if I need a flippy screen.
05-22-2020, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #715
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I think I might be a bit the opposite of you.... as I get older and realise less time is left, I see no alternative as being logical other then.... more stuff faster..... how else will you get to try it all?
My goal is to “capture the moment” - not to “try it all”.
05-22-2020, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Usually, a glance at the price tag is a cold shower for me... although I did come perilously close to pulling the trigger on an A* 600/5.6 last summer. Given how things are now, I'm very glad I didn't.

My Happy Shiny People Lenses, though...
I just wanted to say that case is adorable, and your signature ('OG Social Distancer') made me laugh
05-22-2020, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #717
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Take my money!
You're way to easy.... I'm sure they had you at new camera.....
05-22-2020, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #718
mee
Veteran Member

The comment was directed not specifically at AF performance, but overall capability. Where is the D500's IBIS, or Pixel Shift, or Astrotracer?

Says the Nikon user posting in a Pentax forum.

Oh don't get sore!

If anything I have direct insight on where Pentax shines and where they don't, technologically speaking. Besides, as I've already expressed in so many ways, I think the next crop K mount is going to be special.

Last edited by mee; 05-22-2020 at 08:59 PM.
05-22-2020, 08:52 PM - 3 Likes   #719
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My goal is to “capture the moment” - not to “try it all”.
My philosophy has been since 1999 “Buy | Try | Sell”, which I think is a corollary to try it all. I capture moments, but I also enjoy using gear I dreamed about in my youth, and abhor the ascetic impulse to deny myself new gear experiences..

Of course the issue is I so rarely sell
05-22-2020, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #720
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC last fall @Mistral75 featured an image of the K-new mirror box that showed what appeared to be a new AF sensor the width of the entire mirror. If it is mirror-width it should have enough AF points to fill the frame on both formats, and we know Ricoh uses components across the entire range of cameras to lower unit costs. I think D500-close in the way K-1 was D800/D820 close but without so many shortcomings.

That AF sensor makes me optimistic they’ve put a major effort behind bringing AF very close to the current best DSLR tech. I don’t want to let my imagination run away because I’ll be disappointed, but the logic of developing a sensor for FF, using it in an APSc Flagship and then making the APSc viewfinder as wide as the FF viewfinder (105% magnification) is another hint. Asahi man, @OoKU and @BROO seem to be hinting likewise.

We’ll have to wait on the other features (competitive video and mechanical SR that an be disabled, faster shutter and deep buffer, current UHS tech) but I wouldn’t count on a hybrid VF..

I think it will be a Beast. Why else would they re-do the 16~50?
I think it will come in closer to what a 90D looks like and pricing. Which is still really really nice but not quite D500 or 7dII level.

I wonder if we'll see the return of mechanical IBIS on video? That seemed to draw some ire in past years with the K-3 and the Ricoh rep's mention of it coming to the KP and K-1 in the form of a firmware that never materialized (please correct if they finally did).

They could fix a lot of things in this camera and turn the tide for the brand.. at least those still in the market. I am interested in seeing optically how the updated 16-50 performs. Nikon and Canon opted not to update their models, neither did Sigma or Tamron.. as they all shifted their focus to Full Frame. Just Sony has one thats very recent but that's mirrorless.
Closed Thread