Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2020, 10:18 AM - 8 Likes   #976
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Lol, the real burning took place under Jefferson's successor, when our friendly neighbors to the north set fire to the White House...
We'll do it again too if you guys don't straighten up.

08-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #977
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Lol, the real burning took place under Jefferson's successor, when our friendly neighbors to the north set fire to the White House...
I know the Canadians love to take credit for winning the war of 1812. But they weren't even an independent country yet, and it was the British who sailed and marched through my current location in Southern Maryland on the way to burning DC.

---------- Post added 08-26-20 at 01:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I was thinking of a more recent example: newspapers' "letters to the editor" tend to be of the complainy variety (with varying degrees of merit).
People still write letters to the editor of newspapers? There's a vastly larger audience of like-minded wackos on social media.
08-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #978
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
What are everyone's expectations? I've seen it from around 1200 USD for wishful thinkers to over 2000 USD for others. So what is the consensus for "Everyone's Expectations"?
I am expecting the Knew to be priced similarly to the K-1ii. Both are flagships, although with different characteristics and design goals.
08-26-2020, 12:32 PM - 7 Likes   #979
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Aight, spicy gossip (camera related, camera related!) time.

So, you know how the K-New will have an "all new image processor and accelerator"? How there will be woe and much platitude from the reviewers because "my pure files"? Well, this just in: the R5 and R6 bake the raws via denoise (according to both DPR and Photons to Photos). At ISO 100.

Obviously, it's not a Pentax so the R6 still got a 90% Gold medal despite this terrible, unforgivable sin. Is there hope for a shiny medal for the K-New? Will the Pentax get slammed because it isn't not-a-Pentax? We'll find out soontm

08-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #980
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I am expecting the Knew to be priced similarly to the K-1ii. Both are flagships, although with different characteristics and design goals.
Makes sense...
08-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #981
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I know the Canadians love to take credit for winning the war of 1812. But they weren't even an independent country yet, and it was the British who sailed and marched through my current location in Southern Maryland on the way to burning DC.
Yeah, that's why I specifically didn't mention Canadians, because there weren't any yet.
08-27-2020, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #982
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Compactness can be a plus and payed as such.

08-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #983

Flagship mean nothing regarding to pricing: K5 was a flagship too, as well as K10D... it just mean that it is the most advanced model in the serie. It can't be priced like the k-1, lack of K-1 tilt screen already mean that K-3III is not intended to be as impressive as K-1. That was THE feature I most expected for K-3II successor. The more they release information, the more I think it will just be an up to date K-3II with not killing new features. Prism? Every new model have a new prism, this is just the first time they talk about it because they haven't much image quality improvement to talk about... We will know soon. Personnally I just hope it still have a GPS or I am not sure I'll buy it.
08-29-2020, 02:43 AM - 2 Likes   #984
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
Flagship mean nothing regarding to pricing: K5 was a flagship too, as well as K10D... it just mean that it is the most advanced model in the serie. It can't be priced like the k-1, lack of K-1 tilt screen already mean that K-3III is not intended to be as impressive as K-1. That was THE feature I most expected for K-3II successor. The more they release information, the more I think it will just be an up to date K-3II with not killing new features. Prism? Every new model have a new prism, this is just the first time they talk about it because they haven't much image quality improvement to talk about... We will know soon. Personnally I just hope it still have a GPS or I am not sure I'll buy it.
Of course an APS camera can cost more than the K-1 (that doesn't mean that it does). APS is another format. It isn't like user of that format are not willing to pay for an advanced camera. Many of the most impressive cameras on the planet do not have a flip screen. I see no reason for the K-new not being impressive due to the lack of a flip screen.
As for image quality; Pentax have more than hinted that the K-new has image quality rivaling or exceeding FF....
They have promised many new features.
08-29-2020, 02:48 AM - 4 Likes   #985
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by superdave Quote
It can't be priced like the k-1, lack of K-1 tilt screen already mean that K-3III is not intended to be as impressive as K-1. That was THE feature I most expected for K-3II successor. The more they release information, the more I think it will just be an up to date K-3II with not killing new features. Prism? Every new model have a new prism, this is just the first time they talk about it because they haven't much image quality improvement to talk about...
Nothing of the above make any sense.
- you might want a tilt screen (why didn't you get the KP, then?), but that's not THE feature to differentiate this camera from the K-3 II
- much better autofocus and general performance, now that would be it. Not a lousy tilt screen!
- the K-1 is not impressive because of the articulated screen. It also serves a very different role than an APS-C flagship, effectively sacrificing speed for image quality.
- the K-new should be a completely new camera, with advancements in pretty much every area.
- no, they don't make a new prism for every new model, and this one, a high refraction glass prism allowing for a larger image while increasing the brightness, was never included in any camera.
- Ricoh was talking about improved image quality, and that was compared to the K-70 and KP - themselves much improved over the K-3 II.
08-29-2020, 03:06 AM   #986

This may sound strange to other people, but as a film shooter, I actually don't mind the screen being fixed. In fact, I love the idea. It gives the camera more of a film camera feel. If it was up to me, they could omit the screen altogether, except that it is needed for navigating the menu, of course. One of the things I thoroughly enjoy about shooting film is looking through the optical viewfinder, and I believe the purpose of the fixed screen is to encourage this way of shooting. If that is indeed their intention, then they will succeed by fixing the screen. I know what you're thinking: why not offer the option of an articulated screen and give people the choice? Opting for an articulated screen may have incentivized them to put less effort into developing the viewfinder, as it is most likely that most "ordinary" people would just use the screen instead of the viewfinder in that case.

There is a market for new film cameras out there - just look at a company like Lomography. That is how I got into photography myself. I bought a cheap Lomography film camera, with zero bells and whistles, and I was absolutely hooked. Since then I have been looking for a digital camera that could give me the same kind of feel as a simple film camera, but with the added benefits of faster post-processing of the photos. And I think the K-new will tick that box nicely, which is why I'm going to buy one as my first foray into digital photography.
08-29-2020, 03:20 AM   #987
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the O-ME53 magnifier some weeks ago to enhance the already-great K-1 OVF: I have it set for seeing the composition lines, not having the annoying always-visible AF markers and with the level indicators.
The OVF overlays required designing, and that they probably had to design the pentaprism from scratch, because it was the first Pentax FF camera they had made in 20 years. Adding a tilt screen did not detract from the OVF experience.

In fact, it adds to the experience of using the camera: I use the tilt screen on *every* photo session, or in the vast majority of them. Slapping a movable screen on the K-New might have increased the thickness a couple mm, added some weight, maybe give dome people constant intrusive thoughts about the screen breaking... but it wouldn't have detracted from the OVF experience.

The suggestion that people would use the flippy screen instead of the OVF on a Pentax is completely missing the point, however. I'd wager that the majority of Pentaxians are in the brand because of the OVF (myself included).
08-29-2020, 03:22 AM - 2 Likes   #988

Fair enough. You could be right. I don't know - I haven't used digital cameras so far, so I'm just talking from a film perspective where the lack of such features aren't an issue.
08-29-2020, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #989
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Fair enough. You could be right. I don't know - I haven't used digital cameras so far, so I'm just talking from a film perspective where the lack of such features aren't an issue.
It's not an issue for digitals either - it's just much more convenient for some things. If I'm taking photos of small things on the forest floor or upward angles of buildings, it's easier to have a tilt screen and just kneel for the shot instead of sitting or dropping on your back in the middle of the street

That said, the day we get an ME-sized OVF in a DSLR is the day I do an impulse buy in photography for the first time, flippy screen or not
08-29-2020, 03:49 AM - 2 Likes   #990
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flubber Quote
Hi Flubber, in my case the choice of flexible screen doesn't have to do anything with film or digital.

My travel tripod doesn't support eye level. So I nearly always use the flexible screen on the K-1 when shooting from the tripod. Or when I'm shooting macros or from floor level or using composition adjustment - that's only usable in live view mode - or night time photography. Especially the flexible screen of the K-1 I wouldn't like to miss. It's much better than the KP's since it also is usable in portrait orientation that I often prefer. The OVF clearly is my favourite when shooting without tripod and especially when it comes to shooting action.

The flexible screen is just a great tool for some shooting use cases - something like changeable viewfinders of a Pentax LX or the attachable angled viewfinders you also got for shooting film.
Closed Thread