Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I didn't forget, I didn't know
Wasn't accusing you of forgetfulness - just it seems like it'll be a pretty neat lens!

05-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #17
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, it was there for years and it's indeed a separate thing from the D FA Limited. The 21mm is what was previously known as the "ultra wide-angle single focus lens".

The wide angle might be the 3rd D FA* prime I reckon.
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I think it is safe to assume that as soon as the 85mm is out the door, the engineers will go for a weekend of heavy drinking and adultery in the back alleys of Tokyo, before they put their full attention to this projected WA, which will be in the same philosophy as the 50mm and 85mm.
They well deserve it. Hoping for a 35mm Star lens to extend my small but nice little collection around the fat fifty. I'd really enjoy 35/50/85. I don't need much more. A 20mm for landscapes might be a nice addition.
05-15-2020, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Hey!

Looks like the roadmap has been updated to include the DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 and the D FA 21mm ltd!

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf
QuoteQuote:
D FA 21mm Limited ED DC WR
Pentax's premium Limited lens series has attained an almost legendary status: through compact lenses with non-traditional focal lengths, compact all-metal barrels, and distinctive image rendering, these lenses deliver something truly unique to Pentax.

Like other Limited lenses, the new D FA 21mm Limited will be available in both black and silver. Despite being a ultra-wide-angle full-frame lens, it remains compact and will be about the same size as the existing FA 31mm F1.8 Limited. What we like about this lens is that it bolsters the existing lineup of FA Limiteds rather than serving as a replacement.

Moreover, this will be the first Limited prime lens to include weather sealing as well as a silent DC motor. To see both of these features in a compact lens is no small feat!

When asked about the optical characteristics of the lens, Iwasaki said that it would deliver a true-to-life sense of depth (typical of Limited lenses) and that it has been designed with the quality of the final image in mind. The goal of these lenses is to deliver years, or even decades, of enjoyment.

The maximum aperture has not yet been announced, but based on the markings on the lens, it appears to be at or below F4. In traditional Limited fashion, we suspect that the final number may be a non-standard value, such as F3.6 for example.

The new 21mm Limited is slated for launch in 2021. We expect to see it late in the year, after the DA* 16-50mm.

Read more at: Pentax Product Updates for CP+ 2020 - Trade Shows | PentaxForums.com

a " tip of the hat " to the PF staff
05-15-2020, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I haven't been active on the forum for a while but did I just read that right? A full frame WR 21mm prime?

If so I am definitely interested.

*pops champagne cork*

05-15-2020, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I haven't been active on the forum for a while but did I just read that right? A full frame WR 21mm prime?

*pops champagne cork*
D FA 21 Limited is one of the three. - PentaxForums.com
05-15-2020, 06:54 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Presumably the other prime lens listed in development is the HD Pentax-D FA*35/1.4?
05-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #22
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

*pops champagne cork*
Yeah its crazy isn't it? Almost as if all the continual requests and pleading for WR DC primes actually made it to Ricoh Pentax Japan HQ and they concurred with the notion. And they started off with a wide angle no less... excellent.

I hope it sells rather well and they then offer more WR DC primes in the near future. It is too bad they reheated the FA 35 f/2 so quickly without giving it a similar treatment. I wonder if the 31 f/1.8 Limited gets the update works next?

05-15-2020, 11:02 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is too bad they reheated the FA 35 f/2 so quickly without giving it a similar treatment.
I think that was merely a means to keep producing a lens that continues to sell reasonably well on its own merits to both APS-C and full frame users. There are virtually no brand new SMC FA35/2s available here in the UK now, and none from main Pentax dealers - which supports the notion that it was still selling. Plus, the street price of the "new" HD model has quickly fallen to around what the old SMC model sold for (I paid even less for mine). I suspect Ricoh had simply run out of SMC glass, or something like that, wanted another production run of the lens, and probably felt they had to at least make it cosmetically coherent with other modern Pentax gear. The HD model was just a low-cost, minimal development option to keep a popular lens alive whilst they worked on more important things.

Optically, the FA35/2 design still holds up very well today - especially at f/2.2 onwards. I'd have been overjoyed if it was WR and had near-silent focusing, but less so if PLM AF resulted in focus-by-wire MF.

I imagine the next Pentax lens at this focal length will be an even faster D FA* model to sit alongside the 50mm and forthcoming 85mm lenses...
05-16-2020, 01:35 AM   #24
Pentaxian

So maybe Ricoh can update the other limiteds to the new standard. People that want an aperture ring can stick to the old ones . I don't like the finish on the Silver version. It looks plasticky.
05-16-2020, 01:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think that was merely a means to keep producing a lens that continues to sell reasonably well on its own merits to both APS-C and full frame users. There are virtually no brand new SMC FA35/2s available here in the UK now, and none from main Pentax dealers - which supports the notion that it was still selling. Plus, the street price of the "new" HD model has quickly fallen to around what the old SMC model sold for (I paid even less for mine). I suspect Ricoh had simply run out of SMC glass, or something like that, wanted another production run of the lens, and probably felt they had to at least make it cosmetically coherent with other modern Pentax gear. The HD model was just a low-cost, minimal development option to keep a popular lens alive whilst they worked on more important things.

Optically, the FA35/2 design still holds up very well today - especially at f/2.2 onwards. I'd have been overjoyed if it was WR and had near-silent focusing, but less so if PLM AF resulted in focus-by-wire MF.

I imagine the next Pentax lens at this focal length will be an even faster D FA* model to sit alongside the 50mm and forthcoming 85mm lenses...
The HD 35/2 in Germany is, in fact, ~100€ *cheaper* than the SMC for whatever reason. In every store I've seen, even the official Ricoh one!
05-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

So maybe Ricoh can update the other limiteds to the new standard. People that want an aperture ring can stick to the old ones . I don't like the finish on the Silver version. It looks plasticky.
Completely agree.
05-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yeah its crazy isn't it? Almost as if all the continual requests and pleading for WR DC primes actually made it to Ricoh Pentax Japan HQ and they concurred with the notion. And they started off with a wide angle no less... excellent.

I hope it sells rather well and they then offer more WR DC primes in the near future. It is too bad they reheated the FA 35 f/2 so quickly without giving it a similar treatment. I wonder if the 31 f/1.8 Limited gets the update works next?
But this in no update at all. That's a huge difference. They don't have to work with anything existing.
05-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #28
Pentaxian

There’s still that FF 70-300 prosumer zoom on its way on that roadmap. To company my 28-105? Sweet! That 21 limited and 85 is really calling my name! Love that 16-50 also! My 16-50 which has served me well from 2009 is still kicking, and this update has been awaited for long time. Snappy focus DA* zoom is putting Pentax aps-c back in the game.
05-16-2020, 11:37 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Well they moved the AF/MF switch down and the window has gone, so it is not a simple coatings update
This upgrade shows the company's commitment to APSC, I hope there'll be more.
05-17-2020, 04:23 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I like it all. Only thing I don't really like is the lack of a focus window on the new DA*. Other than that it looks good. Now a day after I get a Sigma 18-35 Art, they go and announce this... Anyways, I definitely want the new camera. I will be getting that after it's released assuming I have the free budget for it.