Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #181
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Depends, Pentax Aussie importer was (is?) selling kit of Pentax cam + sigma lens.
How is that for stupid situation (maybe generated by Asahi/Hoya/RI) ??
Hi Thibs

The importer still does.
He is the importer for Ricoh/Pentax and Sigma in Aus.
The Ricoh web page they are in the small print.
The Aus market is well so small to not matter in the scheme of things, so we have both brands sold together as one. That depends on what arrives from Japan / Vietnam as to which combination is only available , if buying a 'kit'.
I don't know if he is the importer for Samyang aswell.

Dave

06-03-2020, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #182
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Maxxum, Dave ... Maxxum Pty Ltd. Import. Distribution. Sourcing. Photo. Video. Accessories.
06-03-2020, 10:54 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No offence, Thor, but I'll go with the Canon CEO's opinion rather than yours.

Even back in 2019 before coronavirus, he knew:

Canon Sees the Digital Camera Market Plunging by 50% in Next Two Years

He also thinks differently to you about whether third party brands are parasites or not. His new R mount is proprietary.
What’s to stop Sigma reverse-engineering the R-mount, like they did with the various forms of the K-mount?
06-03-2020, 10:58 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Thibs

The importer still does.
He is the importer for Ricoh/Pentax and Sigma in Aus.
The Ricoh web page they are in the small print.
The Aus market is well so small to not matter in the scheme of things, so we have both brands sold together as one. That depends on what arrives from Japan / Vietnam as to which combination is only available , if buying a 'kit'.

Dave
I haven’t seen CRK bundle a Pentax body with a Sigma lens for a long time. Of course, that doesn’t mean they haven’t, but I do keep a regular eye on their direct sales and eBay site, and I’ve only seen them bundle Pentax bodies with Pentax lenses in recent years. I’m not sure about the major resellers.

06-03-2020, 11:00 PM   #185
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
What’s to stop Sigma reverse-engineering the R-mount, like they did with the various forms of the K-mount?
Legally, nothing.

Just ask IBM, who are very annoyed how the PC thing panned out, they don't even make 'em any more, they got squeezed out of the marketplace by the third parties.

You take a CRO to an RP, and see what comes out of the pins when you press that button, and that one, and focus to infinity, etc.

Assumptions will catch you out in different circumstances, so you'd better promise free firmware upgrades each time a bug is discovered.

I have a Yongnuo lens that's a copy of the Canon 100mm f2, but it doesn't work through my Sony's EF to E mount adapter, I'm forced to use it as a manual lens because they stuffed up somewhere.

Last edited by clackers; 06-03-2020 at 11:07 PM.
06-03-2020, 11:12 PM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter

Legally, nothing.

Just ask IBM, who are very annoyed how the PC thing panned out, they don't even make 'em any more, they got squeezed out of the marketplace by the third parties.

You take a CRO to an RP, and see what comes out of the pins when you press that button, and that one, and focus to infinity, etc.

Assumptions will catch you out in different circumstances, so you'd better promise free firmware upgrades each time a bug is discovered.

I have a Yongnuo lens that's a copy of the Canon 100mm f2, but it doesn't work through my Sony's EF to E mount adapter, I'm forced to use it as a manual lens because they stuffed up somewhere.
What they could do, I suppose, would be to put some sort of software routine in the camera that checks to see if it's really a Canon lens mounted, and if it isn't, the camera bricks until the lens is removed.
That would certainly turn off potential sales of Third Party glass.
06-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #187
Veteran Member

.... if you'd read the Canon executive's opinion a while ago, he thinks the industry will *never* recover......
A link for this, please.

06-03-2020, 11:16 PM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Legally, nothing.

Sigma have been at it for a lot longer than Youngnuo, but they’re not incapable of assumptive errors (the K-1 overhang interference for one, but the initial pricing on the SD1 probably cost them more*). I’m sure if they think they can make money on it, they’ll have a crack.

* A mistake I hope Ricoh isn’t about to make with the Knew.
06-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #189
dbs
Pentaxian

I haven’t seen CRK bundle a Pentax body with a Sigma lens for a long time. Of course, that doesn’t mean they haven’t, but I do keep a regular eye on their direct sales and eBay site, and I’ve only seen them bundle Pentax bodies with Pentax lenses in recent years. I’m not sure about the major resellers.
Hi Rob

A K- 70 is bundled with a Sigma 17 - 50 2.8 on the Ricoh website now , has been available for awhile.
If you want this combo its on TVSN for 1,008 aud ... Batmans link cheaper than Ricohs site ( no stock ) guess why

Dave

Last edited by dbs; 06-04-2020 at 12:19 AM.
06-04-2020, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #190
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
A link for this, please.
Sure, here's one summary of his Nikkei interview, very sad:

06-04-2020, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #191
Pentaxian

Sure, here's one summary of his Nikkei interview, very sad:

Buying a DSLR when it was introduced made a bandwagon. People just had to have one even though they weren't photo enthusiasts. DSLRs were used to document family events and other gatherings. The DSLR sales revenues soared. Majority loved the idea that I can see my pictures right away and can be shared through email, Flickr and facebook. Later the excitement for the camera dies as non-photo enthusiasts found that the cellphone answered their needs. I have several friends who bought DSLRs thinking that they're picture would be better. Well sad to say, these guys were disappointed with their results and their cameras are simply gathering dusts. Now their cellphones have taken the place of their cameras. They don't have to bring a bag of equipment to take pictures. They shoot a scene and instantly post their shots in social media. Simply put, cellphones killed the camera industry.
06-04-2020, 02:21 AM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Rob

A K- 70 is bundled with a Sigma 17 - 50 2.8 on the Ricoh website now , has been available for awhile.
If you want this combo its on TVSN for 1,008 aud ... Batmans link cheaper than Ricohs site ( no stock ) guess why

Dave
Thanks, Dave, I hadn’t spotted that one (probably because I’ve been more interested in the KP) but I guess it makes sense for the lowest-priced body, while stocks of the K-mount Sigmas last. Personally, I would have thought bundling it with a DA 18-135 would have been better value, but some people still buy on price.

Cheers
06-04-2020, 02:51 AM   #193
dbs
Pentaxian

Thanks, Dave, I hadn’t spotted that one (probably because I’ve been more interested in the KP) but I guess it makes sense for the lowest-priced body, while stocks of the K-mount Sigmas last. Personally, I would have thought bundling it with a DA 18-135 would have been better value, but some people still buy on price.

Cheers
Hi Rob

Check the Ricoh site the K-70 has a few different bundles to choose from.

Dave
06-04-2020, 04:53 AM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No offence, Thor, but I'll go with the Canon CEO's opinion rather than yours.

Even back in 2019 before coronavirus, he knew:

He also thinks differently to you about whether third party brands are parasites or not. His new R mount is proprietary.
I understand that there looks like there is going to be a continued decline in the size of the market. What I'm not as convinced in is that idea that no company can survive unless they become a luxury boutique brand. I think focusing on systems where an initial body+lens costs multiple thousands of dollars makes rapid market contraction a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't believe there is no viable market for cameras with better than phone capabilities but cost less than $1000. You're basically saying that in the future nobody is going to take pictures of their kids from across a dimly lit auditorium, or 100m away on a soccer pitch. Not unless they fork out the equivalent of six or eight car payments for it. Someone, some company, will fill that niche.
06-04-2020, 05:06 AM   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I understand that there looks like there is going to be a continued decline in the size of the market. What I'm not as convinced in is that idea that no company can survive unless they become a luxury boutique brand. I think focusing on systems where an initial body+lens costs multiple thousands of dollars makes rapid market contraction a self-fulfilling prophecy.

(...)
Look at what happened to medium format cameras (from a complete portfolio of products beginning with cheap foldings and Brownies to expensive Hasselblads and the like) and to rangefinder cameras (from a complete portfolio of products beginning with cheap Argus Bricks, for instance, to expensive Leicas and Zeiss Ikons) during the film era.