Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Be happy if the KNEW is less than $1,999 (USD).
More than D500 money. That would be stupid.

06-01-2020, 05:47 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
More than D500 money. That would be stupid.
The launch price of the Nikon D500 was $1,999.95. That was more than four years ago. Besides, a Nikon D500 would be hardly useful with a bunch of K-mount lenses.

However, 'less than $1,999' does not mean equal to $1,999. I for one think that the KNEW might be priced at the same level as the Fujifilm X-T4 ($1,699) or slightly above that (the Fujifilm X-H1 was launched at $1,899).

Last edited by Mistral75; 06-01-2020 at 05:53 AM.
06-01-2020, 05:59 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
$1700 USD launch price seems about as high as the market would bear, to me, but what do I know (and who really knows the market at this point)?
06-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #124
Pentaxian

The launch price of the Nikon D500 was $1,999.95. That was more than four years ago. Besides, a Nikon D500 would be hardly useful with a bunch of K-mount lenses.

However, 'less than $1,999' does not mean equal to $1,999. I for one think that the KNEW might be priced at the same level as the Fujifilm X-T4 ($1,699) or slightly above that (the Fujifilm X-H1 was launched at $1,899).
When the K-new comes out, if I shop for a camera, I'll be looking at all my options. I always do. I'm not so concerned about the launch price of the D500, I'll be concerned about what I can get for my dollars, that day. It is much more likely that if it's expensive, I'll just buy nothing, but if it's D500 prices, I'll expect D500 performance out of it. I tend to be a value conscious shopper. My K-1 has taken over my K-3's landscape duties. What my K-3 gives me is fps and buffer. What the D500 offers is better AF, more fps and more buffer. I'm not looking for yet another field camera.

06-01-2020, 08:00 AM   #125
Pentaxian

I think, what I'm already told before couple of times here.
-
Someone from Pentax executives was a big waste of money for RICOH,

and
history of Pentax Bad decisions ( including delays in development ) was his part. That person(s) should been fired long time ago .
-
of course - all of it is just smaller part of RICOH digital photography market failures
K3 III is on his way almost 4-5 years, - and we are talking about just this camera.

-
lol, and now - all of us - are waiting for what exactly ? Abandoned technologies from others ? Slightly improvment in CAF ? Who even cares for that ?
-
I hope someone from Pentax would pay for all this disasters - which cost us Sigma and now Samyang support ( further development )

Last edited by panonski; 06-01-2020 at 09:19 AM.
06-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I think, what I'm already told before couple of times here.
-
Someone from Pentax executives was a big waste of money for RICOH,

and
history of Pentax Bad decisions ( including delays in development ) was his part. That person(s) should been fired long time ago .
-
of course - all of it is a just smaller part of RICOH digital photography market failures
K3 III is on his way almost 4-5 years, - and we are talking about just this camera.

-
lol, and now - all of us - are waiting for what exactly ? Abandoned technologies from others ? Slightly improvment in CAF ? Who even cares for that ?
-
I hope someone from Pentax would pay for all this disasters - which cost us Sigma and now Samyang support ( further development )
But what do you really think?
06-01-2020, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

He wants someone's head.
That won't give us smart gear....

06-01-2020, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, that's bad news for a lot of forum members, who will not be able to justify a thousand dollar plus K-new!
Ricoh has apparently done the math and would rather sell (making up numbers here) 20,000 cameras at $1500 than 100,000 cameras at $800.
06-01-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, that's bad news for a lot of forum members, who will not be able to justify a thousand dollar plus K-new!
There’s been no indication of a replacement for the 4-year-old K70, and there is probably no need for one just yet. At its current selling price, I’d say it’s a bargain, but it’s not what I’d call cheap, even if it’s cheerful. Earlier entry-level bodies like the K100D etc were basically higher-level bodies with features removed. That changed with the K30 and its successors.

I can’t find the launch prices of all the range-topping APS-C bodies, but having bought the K20D, K-5 and K-3, my recollection of their prices was that each was lower than its predecessor, but that (and my comments above) could be influenced by AUD exchange rates at the time.
06-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But what do you really think?
I don't think he'll have the opportunity to share...

The pricing is likely to be high initially, to capture the early "have to have it now, even it costs a little too much" customers and will then drop to the price that keeps moving units at the pace Ricoh wants. The KP was what, 1100 on release? Now it is selling on Amazon for 850 with the 18-55. Release price is probably what Mistral75 says, 1700 to 1800 and eventually will drop at least 300 dollars.
06-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
That is the only thing I hold against Nikon the crappy UI. Again, it is something one can get used to. Sony seems to have taken the crown from Nikon in that department! I never liked the original Sony A7's feel nor did I like its UI. The newer Sonys have improved in feel but the UI is stuck in the old days. Again, one can get used to even a crappy UI!
Yep, if only Nikon had Canon UI (not to speak of Pentax brilliant UI).
06-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #132
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Ricoh has apparently done the math and would rather sell (making up numbers here) 20,000 cameras at $1500 than 100,000 cameras at $800.
I think you're correct, Thor.

It may even be $1700, $1800, depending on specs and engineering.

And that will shut out Pentaxians who did not buy their last camera for more than $1200. But a niche camera company, a Japanese Leica, could go broke catering for them.

Last edited by clackers; 06-01-2020 at 05:09 PM.
06-01-2020, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #133
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There’s been no indication of a replacement for the 4-year-old K70, and there is probably no need for one just yet. At its current selling price, I’d say it’s a bargain, but it’s not what I’d call cheap, even if it’s cheerful. Earlier entry-level bodies like the K100D etc were basically higher-level bodies with features removed. That changed with the K30 and its successors.

I can’t find the launch prices of all the range-topping APS-C bodies, but having bought the K20D, K-5 and K-3, my recollection of their prices was that each was lower than its predecessor, but that (and my comments above) could be influenced by AUD exchange rates at the time.
I think you're trapped in the past, Rob, I'm afraid.

You're guided by pricing and strategies from the pre 2012 camera boom.

Camera companies are facing death in 2020-2030. They will not and cannot survive by shelves of product at Walmart. That sort of customer is now using their phones for pictures of their coffee, their dog, their child, and flowers.
06-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you're correct, Thor.

It may even be $1700, $1800, depending on specs and engineering.
On some level that's what some sports teams are doing. Baseball in particular. Smaller stadiums, more season tickets, more expensive tickets, more premium suites.

But in the end you have fewer fans. In Pentax' case fewer Pentaxians. Fewer people buying lenses, but also flashes and batteries, polarizers. Fewer people passing the experience to the next generation. A handful of rich people and their out of reach hobby. Your uncle or grandpa has a camera, but you don't even consider one since a decent kit is $6000.

06-01-2020, 05:17 PM - 2 Likes   #135
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Be happy if the KNEW is less than $1,999 (USD).
You could well be right, Mistral, companies have to survive on a minority of customers now, not subsidize everyone else, so it's bad news for a lot of photographers.

BTW, after watching Tony Northrup it's always a relief to see someone like yourself with data driven reporting and analysis. You'd be a great journalist, except the market for them has been smashed, too.

I bet cheaply paid millenials find themselves now as 'content providers' for what's left of news sites, without editors and subeditors.