Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 179 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #226
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
I have a K-S2 from the "early" production run (which supposedly has a higher failure rate than later production runs) as well as a K-70, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either camera. From everything I have been able to gather, the absolute rate of failure is very low--much lower than with the K-30 or K-50. Both of my cameras have functioned flawlessly, and statistically they are likely to continue to function flawlessly. I find that most of the people who are gun-shy regarding these models had a bad experience with the K-30/K-50, and are extrapolating from their experiences because the basic design has not changed. That is not a statistically valid approach. You may think that you are doing people a favor by recommending that they stay away from the K-70, but you are actually doing them a disservice.

Dan
People are warning people way from the K-70? Really?
I read the same stuff as everyone else and I'd buy one.
That's just weird.

06-11-2020, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They also seem to love telling people how dumb others are for buying a superior product.
I get that all the time, but then, I’ve been driving Citroëns for years (cue the usual chorus about French cars).

Not to mention shooting Pentaxes.

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Rob

Sounds like you've been watching Gruen ......
Dave
True that...
06-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #228
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I get that all the time, but then, I’ve been driving Citroëns for years (cue the usual chorus about French cars).
They aren't Italian......
I've always liked Citroens. Quirky, but they seem quite good.
06-11-2020, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They aren't Italian......
I've always liked Citroens. Quirky, but they seem quite good.
I owned an Alfetta once: beautiful car to drive and the nicest exhaust note I’ve ever heard from an inline four. It had a bad case of the Italian tin-worm, though. Actually, that’s unfair: the tin-worm was in the Romanian steel.

06-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #230
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I owned an Alfetta once: beautiful car to drive and the nicest exhaust note I’ve ever heard from an inline four. It had a bad case of the Italian tin-worm, though. Actually, that’s unfair: the tin-worm was in the Romanian steel.
Funnily enough, I nearly bought my wife a charming little Alfa Romeo Spider about 30 years ago. Being the practical person that she is, she decided that a car that could only be driven here for a few months of the year wasn't a good purchase.
06-12-2020, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #231
Pentaxian

While I have never owned an Alfa-Romeo, I had a Fiat 132 once upon a time. Lovely, characterful car.

06-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #232
Pentaxian

Samyang moving away from Pentax is bad for Pentaxians. One more choice less. Samyang has some amazing lenses for Pentax. Too bad after some time these lenses will no longer be available new and new models will not be introduced.

06-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #233
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
People are warning people way from the K-70? Really?
I read the same stuff as everyone else and I'd buy one.
That's just weird.
I have a K-30 with a failed aperture control. I have seen enough reports here to believe that Pentax’s ‘fix’ has improved things, but aperture control failures still occur. I would not purchase a K-70 and cannot encourage someone else to take the risk. Personally I purchased a KP instead.
06-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #234
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a K-30 with a failed aperture control. I have seen enough reports here to believe that Pentax’s ‘fix’ has improved things, but aperture control failures still occur. I would not purchase a K-70 and cannot encourage someone else to take the risk. Personally I purchased a KP instead.
I would agree. For the price difference of $200 the KP would seem to be the better choice.
06-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A KP / 18-135 kit is ~$1100 USD at the major retailers right now K-70 / 18-135 kit is $800. So, $300, since the purchaser probably wouldn't have any k-mount glass in this little hypothetical situation. The 18-55 to 18-135 kit cost delta is $50 which seems like seriously good value for the upgrade. Somehow the KP kit doesn't seem worth the extra money over the K-70. If it was $100 or $150, I could see it.

Knew and some hot primes in the 20's coming makes me optimistic.