Show Printable Version 914 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
On a K-1 or a K-P it does.
It's fully flippy screen compatible.

I'm really curious as to whether or not any K-P (or other APS-c) owners are considering this lens, anyone out there? Just curious.
This would be wayyy down the list of priorities for me as a KP owner. Partly because I'm not a portrait or wedding photographer. But also, one already has a couple of other excellent choices in that general range, the DA 70 Limited or the FA 77 Limited. Both of which would seem to be more in keeping with the small is good philosophy of the KP. I suppose the 85 will probably be a little better optically, and it is AW, but I can't see those things making enough of a difference to me to justify the size/cost penalty of the new lens.

Aside from that, relative to earlier comments, this does seem to me perhaps an indication that Pentax might see something more like a Leica direction as the way to go. But I think for that to be successful, they would need to up their customer service and marketing, not just their equipment quality.

06-01-2020, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #287
Dan
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
It's vastly easier to convince the wife that a I need a $350 lens once or twice a year than a $2000 lens ever. I've been strategizing how to start K-new negotiations for months, and I think it involves saving my Amazon points for about 18 months so it'll only cost about what a K-3 did.
Yes, that's the problem for many of us. I have no problem affording the K-new or the new 85, but if I bought them my wife would not be a happy camper. And I would have difficulty explaining the purchase decision, because my current equipment works great.

Your strategy of saving up your Amazon points is a good one. My wife doesn't really pay attention to my Amazon points. She just looks at the credit card bill. Thanks for the tip. :-)

Dan
06-01-2020, 12:03 PM - 5 Likes   #288
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's vastly easier to convince the wife that a I need a $350 lens once or twice a year than a $2000 lens ever. I've been strategizing how to start K-new negotiations for months, and I think it involves saving my Amazon points for about 18 months so it'll only cost about what a K-3 did.
My wife “owns” my Amazon points in the sense that they become Amazon Christmas Gift Cards for our nieces and nephews

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
Yes, that's the problem for many of us. I have no problem affording the K-new or the new 85, but if I bought them my wife would not be a happy camper. And I would have difficulty explaining the purchase decision, because my current equipment works great.

Your strategy of saving up your Amazon points is a good one. My wife doesn't really pay attention to my Amazon points. She just looks at the credit card bill. Thanks for the tip. :-)

Dan
I’m hanging my hat on the idea this is a once-a-generation lens. The FA77/1.8 Limited is a different lens line, and mine is a collectible serial number.

My SLOA* with mrs monochrome is I must sell (and be prepared to prove on demand) an amount of gear equal to what I buy, and the money must either be in the PayPal account before I buy or a transfer to checking must be available to show on demand. Every so often when a new item comes in the mail she’ll squawk and I have to show her.

Also - this will be for grandchild photos, and we’ll have a new one Wednesday, if not sooner.

*Standing Letter of Authority

Last edited by monochrome; 06-01-2020 at 06:46 PM.
06-01-2020, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #289
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
new item comes in the mail she’ll squawk
this made me laugh haha very relatable

06-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #290
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I can't quite remember - does this new 85 have a flippy screen?
No dual card slots! Useless!!
06-01-2020, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #291
Pentaxian

Dan
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife “owns” my Amazon points in the sense that they become Amazon Gift Cards for our nieces and nephews
(...)

My SLOA* with mrs monochrome is I must sell (and be prepared to prove on demand) an amount of gear equal to what I buy, and the money must either be in the PayPal account before I buy or a transfer to checking must be available to show on demand. Every so often when a new item comes in the mail she’ll squawk and I have to show her.

(...)

*Standing Letter of Authority
Don't get married. As simple as that.
06-01-2020, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #292
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
...On the other hand, perhaps if I started shooting with the new 85, beautiful models would appear in front of me on every photo outing, and I would get published on the fashion covers.
Guaranteed! Contracts are waiting!

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Would this lens dramatically affect the outcomes of my photography?
Given the above, what does it matter?

06-01-2020, 12:56 PM - 5 Likes   #293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Too late!

Though, seriously, having a good line of fiscal communication with the other half is essential...

When I got engaged, my boss (who was a horrible, terrible person in many ways) told me I should not get married.

I told him straight, that since he had been married five times (twice to the same woman), it was clear he had no idea how to do it properly...

-Eric
06-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #294
Pentaxian

Just got a advert via email on the 85mm F 1.4 lens today from Ricoh. There is a link on the ad to activate that will let customers know when the product becomes available, if they so desire.

I'm sure many others have received this email notice.

P.S. Have been married for many a moon and one of the keys to that happy state, is always to discuss with your partner, in my case my wife...what I'd like to purchase...camera wise...before and the two of it look at the budget, to see and decide if it's a go.
06-01-2020, 02:06 PM - 4 Likes   #295
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, that's the problem for many of us. I have no problem affording the K-new or the new 85, but if I bought them my wife would not be a happy camper. And I would have difficulty explaining the purchase decision, because my current equipment works great

Dan
"I had to get these dear because it is the only equipment around that can accurately record your exquisite beauty."

Do I have to do everything for your guys?
06-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
"I had to get these dear because it is the only equipment around that can accurately record your exquisite beauty."

Do I have to do everything for your guys?
What if the dear knows her stuff? Then you might be in trouble...

"At this point in the relationship you should know that a good look for a woman involves no "accuracy" and the Clarity slider at -50. Since you can get the same effect cheaper with a softer lens such as the ones you already have... Permission Denied"
06-01-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Or do but be wise.
Once she asked me why I did buy yet another guitar (and bass) why on earth was it any different. They all sing when you plus the strings.
I replied she had a load of shoes, including some identical but colour. The all fit on the same feet.

Anyone his/her addiction. No question asked both side. Life easier
06-01-2020, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #298
Pentaxian

And I would have difficulty explaining the purchase decision, because my current equipment works great.
That can be taken care of
06-01-2020, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #299
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
P.S. Have been married for many a moon and one of the keys to that happy state, is always to discuss with your partner, in my case my wife...what I'd like to purchase...camera wise...before and the two of it look at the budget, to see and decide if it's a go.
A good rule of thumb is never make any logistics decisions without clearing it with the War Department first.
06-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #300
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
This would be wayyy down the list of priorities for me as a KP owner. Partly because I'm not a portrait or wedding photographer. But also, one already has a couple of other excellent choices in that general range, the DA 70 Limited or the FA 77 Limited. Both of which would seem to be more in keeping with the small is good philosophy of the KP. I suppose the 85 will probably be a little better optically, and it is AW, but I can't see those things making enough of a difference to me to justify the size/cost penalty of the new lens.

Aside from that, relative to earlier comments, this does seem to me perhaps an indication that Pentax might see something more like a Leica direction as the way to go. But I think for that to be successful, they would need to up their customer service and marketing, not just their equipment quality.
I think the DA 70 and FA 77 and for that matter, used copies of the Sigma 85 and FA * 85 will be on the market for a variety of prices that are lower than this lens. For many people, those will make more sense, but the thing I have discovered is that it is pretty dissatisfied with gear that is "good enough" but in the back of your mind you know isn't the best.

As I mentioned earlier, the rationalization for this purchase is that my wife does shoot weddings (despite some of the comments earlier in this thread) and she will be more efficient editing photos if she doesn't have a lens (like the FA 77) that is prone to purple fringing.
Closed Thread