Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 914 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
The "Skin softening" brush is a wonderful thing. Like applying makeup after the shoot.

06-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
GR3 Limited is coming.
Wow, good news !
Any idea on the colour(s) ?
06-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #333
Loyal Site Supporter

In other news, DPReview has closed two threads about the D FA* 85/1.4, making discussion about the new lens decidedly difficult on their website.
06-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
In other news, DPReview has closed two threads about the D FA* 85/1.4, making discussion about the new lens decidedly difficult on their website.
Not for me it doesn't. I occasionally have to go there for bridge cameras and small sensor camera information, but their attitudes regarding DSLRs do not align with my own.

06-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #335
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe their threads went the way this one has gone.
Of the last 60 or so posts there are about ten that relate to the D FA 85.
06-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #336
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The threads were being very heavily trolled by the anti Pentax crowd.
What is telling is that rather than moderate the threads to exclude the trolls and allow the discussion to continue, they just closed down the discussion entirely.
It somewhat confirms the anti Pentax bias that seems to exist there.
06-02-2020, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #337
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is telling is that rather than moderate the threads to exclude the trolls and allow the discussion to continue, they just closed down the discussion entirely.
We try to avoid doing that as much as possible.

It somewhat confirms the anti Pentax bias that seems to exist there.
Was that ever in question?

06-02-2020, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #338
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
Amen!! Works for me all the time!!
06-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think the big thing is not time, but actual loss of photos. My wife has ended up shooting more with the DFA *70-200 because she likes back lit shots and the FA 77 loses images. There is a glowing purple line around a couple and when you fix it there is a gray line surrounding them. The only options are to pitch the images or to convert to black and white. She would like to be able to use a prime for couple shots and save the 70-200 for ceremony and shots like that, mainly due to size.

I don't know that there is a magic number that pops out, but if you have income from photography and it makes your life easier to get a certain lens, it probably makes sense to do so.
@Rondec, thanks for the insight. I don't have paying clients, so my post-processing efforts are directed only towards my own satisfaction. I have spent considerable time to clean up several images, though, so I can understand the time involved.

- Craig
06-02-2020, 11:11 AM - 3 Likes   #340
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@Rondec, thanks for the insight. I don't have paying clients, so my post-processing efforts are directed only towards my own satisfaction. I have spent considerable time to clean up several images, though, so I can understand the time involved.

- Craig
I'm in a similar situation. I have no intention of shooting for money ever again. It's just too tedious. I do take a great deal of pride in my photography, and have always been a bit of a chaser of high technical quality. I suppose I can blame this on my finding photography through the back door. I took up photography to feed raw material into my darkroom, which was actually what i wanted to do. The picture taking was a necessary evil to allow the picture making.
In the darkroom, sharpness is everything. The best lenses, being OCD about enlarger alignment, grain focusers to ensure the image is perfectly sharp.
Did you know that in order for a grain focuser to work, it needs to be put on the same paper as will be printed on? If you miss that step, your focus will be on the bottom of the paper, not the emulsion.
But I digress.
Working in the darkroom as my prime motivation, I quickly came to appreciate well exposed and focused negatives that were made by excellent quality equipment. I milked 35mm for all that I could, ending up shooting Panatomic-X and Technical Pan film to get the highest acutance as I could.
Moving to the 6x7 format was an incredible eye opener for me, but the camera didn't lend itself well to the deep depth of field landscape work that I favoured. Hence my move to 4x5, where available DOF was much greater.
This background has made me a natural born pixel peeper, something of a character flaw that I try to tamp down. This background has also made me an appreciator of great glass, which is why I am so very enthusiastic about this new lens.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-03-2020 at 09:47 PM.
06-02-2020, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #341
Pentaxian

Hey... but who's counting?
18 days to go now , before we can expect some DFA 85 news.
06-02-2020, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #342
Pentaxian

It was mostly people trying to drag Pentax down to their budget levels.
06-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #343
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting to compare the new Pentax mtf with the new Samyang autofocus 85mm.

1.4/85

8/85

06-02-2020, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Interesting to compare the new Pentax mtf with the new Samyang autofocus 85mm.

1.4/85

8/85
Pentax is like...
Attached Images

06-02-2020, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #345
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pentax is like...
All the way to 11!

Closed Thread