Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2020, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #406
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Listed here, mate. They say not in the country until 30/6.

Pentax-D FA* 85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW W/C 22890 | Ricoh Australia

As for affordability, do you still have both kidneys?
Hi Clackers

Just checked the site .. it was not there an hour ago.
As for kidneys . yep got both ... but I doubt they are worth much... well not 85 1.4 much..

Dave

06-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #407
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
As for kidneys . yep got both ... but I doubt they are worth much
Well, that's your fault for living in an area of South Australia that makes such good red wine, Dave!
06-08-2020, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #408
dbs
Pentaxian

Well, that's your fault for living in an area of South Australia that makes such good red wine, Dave!
But .. But .. its a preservative .... or so they told me

Dave
06-08-2020, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #409
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just checked the site .. it was not there an hour ago.
They took my pre-order last week. Maybe they have already sold out their first shipment....

06-09-2020, 12:03 AM   #410
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's actually listed amongst the DFA lenses now in The Australian Pentax Webstore:

Shop D FA Online in Australia | Ricoh Australia

Previously there were no links; you had to find it with a search.
06-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #411
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
They took my pre-order last week. Maybe they have already sold out their first shipment....
Hi Sandy

I was just going to the lenses page and it was not there.
Paul just said you had to do a search for it.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-09-2020 at 01:43 AM.
06-09-2020, 01:47 AM   #412
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was just going to the lenses page and it was not there.
Paul just said you had to do a search for it.
It's there on the website.
Click on PRODUCTS, then LENSES, then DFA - it's the tenth lens listed. On Backorder for $2640.00, due 30th June.

06-09-2020, 02:00 AM   #413
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Click on PRODUCTS, then LENSES, then DFA - it's the tenth lens listed. On Backorder for $2640.00, due 30th June.
... as I said two posts ago, with a link.
06-09-2020, 02:12 AM   #414
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
... as I said two posts ago, with a link.
Indeed. I was just re-iterating as Dave's response suggesting a misunderstanding
06-09-2020, 02:43 AM   #415
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Sandy

I have been doing that since the start of this thread.
Only today about 2 pm adelaide time did it show up

At midday before going shopping it was not on there site.
On the other matter I have replied to your pm

Dave
06-09-2020, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #416
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
?

You say soft lighting, I say poor lighting and the image overall feels flat and underexposed, she also has huge pupils, this in combination with incorrectly using f1.4 makes it hard to 'like' what's going on with the lens. The other outdoor images of the DFA85 are better, all the portrait shots feel 'amateur hour' by Pentax imo. It feels like a bunch of Pentax execs playing with the lenses and showing their work

I dunno how these togs are, they're probably very good, much better than me, but these images... are they really the best they could do to promote the lens for portrait use?

The stopped down shot is also unattractive. My cc would be;

1) for f13 the hand is out of focus still, in a portrait shot like this where the hand is part of the image we'd want it in focus
2) the hand shows a different skin tone, it's not matching with the face flesh, even looks like the model has poor circulation in the hand
3) Nail and lip makeup is not retouched and shows runoff in parts.
4) Several blemishes left when really could be dealt with easily.
5) tip of the nose is more in focus than the eye

I'm not even asking for D&B or FS work, but some very basic blemish fixes can help enormously. Again it feels like amateur hour and we have dozens of far more accomplished pentax studio shooters (Rene for example) that would instantly blow this stuff out of the water, even if the criteria was to keep PP and editing to a minimum he'd still smash this stuff out of the park.

Personally I think you choose the right aperture that produces the better image. In portrait use we do choose the right aperture based on distance to model, focal length, pose etc. So that once the image is finished and done with the focus is where it needs to be and captures the important parts. In this instance 1.4 was too wide for the distance, a portrait shot where the two eyes of the model has only 1/2 of one eye in focus is not great and simply stopping down or stepping back or asking the model to pose in such a way to reduce the depth of the eye could resolve those issues. There is a f13 shot as well, so why do we not get to judge a f2.8 shot (which might have worked a lot better)? If we shoot f1.4 in studio its got to be done correctly is all, this was not done correctly.

F1.4 with a Takumar 50mm;

You can see the eyes are in focus, nose is not, ears are not, the eyes. That's typically important in portraits.

And side on;

One eye in focus, the other not. Arguably I could have stopped down to f2 in either of these to produce a better shot.

This shot at F8, I'm not looking for bokeh now, I want texture and details in the hair and skin of the subject.

Point being, if you use 1.4 you better be on point, its tricky stuff and I know I have messed up many wide open shots due to the razor thin DoF.

Meh... just unimpressed with what Pentax themselves put out for this lens from a portrait standpoint, done more harm than good. They should just have stuck to the still life and landscape stuff imo.

Ok... I am now ready for the next wave of attacks
No attacks. I'm just wondering what the point is of showing pictures taken at f/8 when the discussion is about pictures taken at f/1.4?
I get that you don't like the style of photography shown, but this isn't the thread about artistic merits, it's a thread about technical ability of a lens.
Consequently, I am not seeing the point of your posts.

---------- Post added Jun 9th, 2020 at 04:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
You know.........as hard as I've tried, I just can't imagine that as Robert Capa lined up to take a shot of an infantryman on a Normandy beach, he was thinking "well I hope that his eyes are in perfect focus and that there's nice bokeh".
Yes well, Robert Capa wasn't shooting portraits that day was he?

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-09-2020 at 03:12 AM.
06-09-2020, 03:27 AM - 2 Likes   #417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Clackers

Way out of my price range ..... if I win lotto .... well
Just strange it is not listed yet on the Aus Ricoh site .

Dave
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
No attacks. I'm just wondering what the point is of showing pictures taken at f/8 when the discussion is about pictures taken at f/1.4?
I get that you don't like the style of photography shown, but this isn't the thread about artistic merits, it's a thread about technical ability of a lens.
Consequently, I am not seeing the point of your posts.

---------- Post added Jun 9th, 2020 at 04:09 AM ----------

Yes well, Robert Capa wasn't shooting portraits that day was he?
Because there's a portrait shot at f13 with the lens in the bumf material for the DFA 85, thus the point being is you use the aperture for the style of portrait and the intent and they themselves were not just sticking to f1.4 shots. If you do wide open, get it right, if you do a stopped down shot, get it right, and imo both fail in terms of correct distance/DoF for the style they went for. If a studio f1.4 shot was felt needed for promotional material for the lens and having it as SOOC as possible, then they should have taken more shots and selected one that at least has one of the eyes completely in focus. Or used one at f2.8 or whatever (seeing as they chose to show a f13 one, despite it too being technically weak).

I also just see this thread as a discussion about the DFA 85, not limited to just technical capability. We've talked about price point, the company as a whole, lots of things to keep the thread interesting and varied. Here I am poking the fire by criticising what I feel are poor portrait shots selected for what is essentially a portrait lens. There is one good portrait shot (that i ticked green) that doesn't look studio but natural light, the rest are pretty awful imo. People are saying its supposed to be like that etc, but its also marketing/advertising material as well, or that's how it will be perceived. If we had more shots like the good portrait shot I'd have no complaints to make.

My point is that this is material is available on the interweb for all to view and admire and get excited over the lens, we want good images, it's advertising, it's promotional content. The portrait ones are very subpar and images like this would not see the light of day in advertising/marketing bumf from Olympus, Fuji, Nikon, Canon, Leica, Sony etc. The portrait shots bring the tone of the promotion of the lens down. I would have either done a reshoot or just left them out. Just my 2 cents (with specifics).
06-09-2020, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #418
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, to be really pedantic, the Clare Valley is most famous for riesling. Their reds are lovely though

But back on topic, Pentax Australia's Facebook and Instagram pages have both pimped for DFA*85 backorders today.

It's getting real.
06-09-2020, 03:50 AM   #419
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
My point is....
Eddy, you have made your point. Repeatedly. For someone who has said you are not brand-bashing, I don't understand why you persist.

For what it's worth, I don't think the images are particularly good either. I doubt anyone does. But that is not the point. The aim is to show some of the properties of the lens - what it can do for your photography, not someone else's.

This is Pentax after all - they don't do marketing very well, but they make great lenses. Whether their approach is successful or not remains to be seen.
06-09-2020, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #420
dbs
Pentaxian

Actually, to be really pedantic, the Clare Valley is most famous for riesling. Their reds are lovely though

But back on topic, Pentax Australia's Facebook and Instagram pages have both pimped for DFA*85 backorders today.

It's getting real.
Hi Sandy

The reds have taken over
Just like the new 85 kid on the block will do

Dave
Closed Thread