Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 914 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 05:08 PM   #511
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Well to be fair action shooters got the short end of the stick because the KP is worse than the K-3 at that and the K-1 is plainly abysmal in comparison. I think Pentax *did* miscalculate there and they are now working to correct that.
No doubt.

06-11-2020, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #512
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The KP was never intended to replace the APSc Flagship.
There was an interview with one of the Pentax execs recently that said different. It was expected to be what dedicated K-3 owners moved on to. Maybe you don't call that a flagship, but that's just semantics.

---------- Post added 06-11-20 at 09:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
If I am a typical pentaxian.... then the cameras should be slowing at about the same rate as I age. So potential bad news is that Knew might only need to be 4 frames per second..... good news is that it will have an easy find feature to help locate where you last put it down. The 85/1.4 has been made larger for arthritic fingers/hands off course..... whilst helping me to maintain bone density through it's heft.
That's the kind of thing every camera company should be pursuing.

A K-new at 4 frames per second? That would just be wrong. Even our K-5 does better than that. The K-1 needs an upgrade way more than the K-3 does. 4.5 FPS is truly pathetic. It's embarrassing.
06-11-2020, 06:08 PM   #513
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There was an interview with one of the Pentax execs recently that said different. It was expected to be what dedicated K-3 owners moved on to. Maybe you don't call that a flagship, but that's just semantics.
But Flagship features are not semantics, they are features and capabilities. Ricoh’s plan was to terminate full-featured (Flagship) bodies with APSc sensors. If that means APSc buyers were supposed to accept KP or upgrade to K-1 then Ricoh was, quite obviously, just wrong - as clearly demonstrated by development of K-new.
06-11-2020, 07:31 PM - 2 Likes   #514
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

That's the kind of thing every camera company should be pursuing.

A K-new at 4 frames per second? That would just be wrong. Even our K-5 does better than that. The K-1 needs an upgrade way more than the K-3 does. 4.5 FPS is truly pathetic. It's embarrassing.
Off course I am being flippant...as I happily prepare for a two week camping trip starting Monday to our Flinders Ranges.... beer... check..... red wine check..... bread and meat.... check..... you can see how such trip preperation pressure leads to such flippant posts.....

06-11-2020, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #515
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Off course I am being flippant...as I happily prepare for a two week camping trip starting Monday to our Flinders Ranges.... beer... check..... red wine check..... bread and meat.... check..... you can see how such trip preperation pressure leads to such flippant posts.....
Hi Noel

Don't forget to pick up a 85 on the way through ( don't want to waste a trip now do we ).
I'll listen for the toot as you sail on by.

Dave
06-12-2020, 01:22 AM   #516

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
It's kind hard to explain, probably not the place to bring up this issue here (potentially steer the thread way off topic) and highly specific in nature (to the point that the issue would not really be a problem when shooting adults in the studio vs kids). It might be an issue that can be worked around (hence my use of the word 'force'), it will really boil down to how important this specific feature will be to the kind of work I want to create and whether I can accept certain trade offs or not. I'm sure this issue will be a problem for many other brands too, it's basically something that if I confirm and feel its unsolvable with the K-1 (and it could still be an issue with the K-new) then having this feature will become the next 'must have' feature I will seek out in a camera and thus have no idea if Sony, Fuji, Nikon or whatever have it, it's something I've yet to find out.
Thanks for feedback! I've sent a private message, feel like too much off topic in this thread from both of us
06-12-2020, 05:30 AM   #517
Pentaxian

It says it's In Stock now at SRS UK. Their "add" button still says "pre-order" but the availability is "in stock" opposed to "coming soon" which it was this morning.

06-12-2020, 06:00 AM - 3 Likes   #518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
It says it's In Stock now at SRS UK. Their "add" button still says "pre-order" but the availability is "in stock" opposed to "coming soon" which it was this morning.
It say "in stock" and the button says "buy now" for me
06-12-2020, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #519
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Which usually suggests the rest of us peasants will get a teaser in a few days time!
06-12-2020, 06:35 AM   #520
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't follow your thought here. If I use a f/1.4 PLM lens on my K-30 (*), I am 'stuck' with its being f/1.4 all the time. Aperture is involved in exposure, but it is also involved in DoF, and you address the latter only. The advantage of a variable aperture is choosing the appropriate opening. Yes, sometime I might choose f/1.4, but other times I might want to choose f/5.6.

I would hate being stuck in f/1.4 all the time; I used to view a wide aperture as the cost of darkish conditions, but you would doom me to that all the time. I often photograph large buildings and trains, situations when the DoF provided by f/1.4 is just plain inadequate.

(*) I will never use 'hacked" firmware in my camera.
I have an adapter that allows me to put a K mount lens onto a screw mount camera. Of course in order to do that it is by necessity a short extension tube.
But it allows the lens to work perfectly on a Spotmatic camera.

There is a difference between mountability and usability. Arguing that the two are synonymous is arguing for the sake of argument.
Arguing with someone who is doing that is wasting your time.
06-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #521
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But Flagship features are not semantics, they are features and capabilities. Ricoh’s plan was to terminate full-featured (Flagship) bodies with APSc sensors. If that means APSc buyers were supposed to accept KP or upgrade to K-1 then Ricoh was, quite obviously, just wrong - as clearly demonstrated by development of K-new.
Both the K-1 and K-P have gone backwards in important wildlife/birding /action capabilities. Even for guys like Kenspo, concert and event shooters they've regressed.

If the K-1 had actually been an upgrade in capability instead of a downgrade in everything but low noise high ISO performance I be more enthusiastic about this take on things. I still take more frames with my k-3 than my k-1, usually more in one wildlife birding session than I do with the K-1 in a whole month. But you do raise a point, it's a possibility that Pentax is catering to the slow paced slow frame rate guys, and will continue to erode the action performance. We'll see.

Between the two things, the expected high cost, and the trend of reduced performance,my K-3 may be active for a long time. I hope they remember, guys like me don't have to buy stuff that' inferior to what we have. I can still pick up a used K-3ii if they don't do across the board improvement on the K-new. It's hard to believe they would put us in a position where we'd have to buy a 4 year old camera to get a performance bump. If they thought we'd buy a downgrade they are truly out of touch. Hopefully K-P sales woke them up.

Last edited by normhead; 06-12-2020 at 07:01 AM.
06-12-2020, 07:03 AM - 4 Likes   #522
Pentaxian

ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/500s

Pentax K-1 + HD DFA*85mm f/1.4 (pre-serie) + PRIOLITE MBX500 HS + Silkypix Developer Studio PRO10
06-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #523
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
ISO100 ; f/1.4 ; 1/500s

Pentax K-1 + HD DFA*85mm f/1.4 (pre-serie) + PRIOLITE MBX500 HS + Silkypix Developer Studio PRO10
...so it's true, it has arrived in Europe

---------- Post added 06-12-20 at 03:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
SRS Are saying they do not have them in stock
06-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #524
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Both the K-1 and K-P have gone backwards in important wildlife/birding /action capabilities. Even for guys like Kenspo, concert and event shooters they've regressed.

If the K-1 had actually been an upgrade in capability instead of a downgrade in everything but low noise high ISO performance I be more enthusiastic about this take on things. I still take more frames with my k-3 than my k-1, usually more in one wildlife birding session than I do with the K-1 in a whole month. But you do raise a point, it's a possibility that Pentax is catering to the slow paced slow frame rate guys, and will continue to erode the action performance. We'll see.

Between the two things, the expected high cost, and the trend of reduced performance,my K-3 may be active for a long time. I hope they remember, guys like me don't have to buy stuff that' inferior to what we have. I can still pick up a used K-3ii if they don't do across the board improvement on the K-new. It's hard to believe they would put us in a position where we'd have to buy a 4 year old camera to get a performance bump. If they thought we'd buy a downgrade they are truly out of touch. Hopefully K-P sales woke them up.
Yes, wildlife/action shooters lost out with the change to the K-1. The KP was a camera with a different concept so it also wasn't that appealing. The K-new will fix you guys up, I'm sure of it.

On the other hand, the K-1 is better than the K-3 in every possible way except for buffer and fps. The low speed is a consequence of the sensor but the small buffer *is* something they could have worked on more - hopefully the next FF will be roughly the same camera with better AF and speed and that's it. That way, since I don't need those improvements, I can dedicate the budget exclusively to lenses
06-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #525
Pentaxian

...The K-1 needs an upgrade way more than the K-3 does. 4.5 FPS is truly pathetic. It's embarrassing.
Norm, that's surely a (silicon) hardware limitation of the 36MP sensor. Pretty sure Nikon D800 had a similar rate. If you shoot in crop on the K1, the rate goes up; so the mirror can move faster.

The expected sensor for the KNEW has a far faster read rate. Also it can be assumed that the processor will be a lot faster, if they've leveraged the GRiii system development.

I hope (and fully expect) that the KNEW will exceed the K-3 FPS, with the added benefit of getting more of the burst in focus.

Now, back to the lens...

Closed Thread