Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 85 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2020, 01:39 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Actually, FW, I think someone posted the MTF curves showing this thing beats the Zeiss Otus, which is $5000 or whatever.

(...)
According to the MTF curves published, the HD Pentax-D FA 85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW doesn't 'beat' the Zeiss Otus Apo-Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZE/ZF.2, it's comparable to it. Which is no small feast.

Beware though, the MTF of the Zeiss lens are measured whereas those of the Pentax lens are calculated and don't take diffraction into account (as specified by themselves). So let's wait and see.

06-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
According to the MTF curves published, the HD Pentax-D FA 85mm f/1.4 ED SDM AW doesn't 'beat' the Zeiss Otus Apo-Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZE/ZF.2, it's comparable to it. Which is no small feast.

Beware though, the MTF of the Zeiss lens are measured whereas those of the Pentax lens are calculated and don't take diffraction into account (as specified by themselves). So let's wait and see.
Actually, Pentax give the charts for both diffraction taken into account and not … I think they've done this for a while now, not just this lens.
06-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Actually, Pentax give the charts for both diffraction taken into account and not … I think they've done this for a while now, not just this lens.
It's more tricky than that. They give the 'Geometric optics MTF (MTF calculated without referencing the effects of light diffraction phenomenon)' at f/1.4, f/4 and f/8 and the 'Wave optical MTF (MTF calculated referencing the effects of light diffraction phenomenon)' at f/1.4 only, an aperture at which the impact of diffraction is minimal.

HD PENTAX-D FA 85mm F1.4 ED SDM AW / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
06-04-2020, 02:24 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's more tricky than that. They give the 'Geometric optics MTF (MTF calculated without referencing the effects of light diffraction phenomenon)' at f/1.4, f/4 and f/8 and the 'Wave optical MTF (MTF calculated referencing the effects of light diffraction phenomenon)' at f/1.4 only, an aperture at which the impact of diffraction is minimal.

HD PENTAX-D FA 85mm F1.4 ED SDM AW / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
In addition, key word is "calculated" on both of them - the effect of diffraction can be estimated for a given aperture but it starts with the calculated MTF so any errors there will still be present (and probably amplified).

06-04-2020, 03:02 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Just from a real world perspective:

My old Sigma 85/1.4 non-Art resolves more than enough at F1.4 on 36 MPx. MTF is a non-issue.
All I have ever witnessed this old Sigma (aside from color rendering) was on par or better than the old FA* with regards to sharpness and Bokeh as well. That is why I have never wanted the overhyped FA*.

I am sure the DFA* will automatically fix
1. the crappy unnatural cold Sigma color rendering and
2. improve wide open contrast with HD coating.
3. Pentax level weather resistance

The important areas to improve are:
4. get rid of the major purple fringing wide open.
5. get a faster, more precise, reliable AF performance. Sigma autofocus reingeering is hit and miss.

I might be willing to pay money for those 5 topics. The purple fringing is No. 1.
The DFA* 50 Bokeh would be cream on top.
06-04-2020, 04:36 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
Ouch!! That's a lot of scratch for a prime!
The good thing for you folks in the US is that it's a lot cheaper than here in the UK! We are paying the equivalent of $2379 for the pleasure..!

Last edited by Jeff; 06-04-2020 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Poor maths!
06-04-2020, 06:50 AM - 7 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Just from a real world perspective:

My old Sigma 85/1.4 non-Art resolves more than enough at F1.4 on 36 MPx. MTF is a non-issue.
All I have ever witnessed this old Sigma (aside from color rendering) was on par or better than the old FA* with regards to sharpness and Bokeh as well. That is why I have never wanted the overhyped FA*.

I am sure the DFA* will automatically fix
1. the crappy unnatural cold Sigma color rendering and
2. improve wide open contrast with HD coating.
3. Pentax level weather resistance

The important areas to improve are:
4. get rid of the major purple fringing wide open.
5. get a faster, more precise, reliable AF performance. Sigma autofocus reingeering is hit and miss.

I might be willing to pay money for those 5 topics. The purple fringing is No. 1.
The DFA* 50 Bokeh would be cream on top.
The reduction of purple fringing by the lens design is specifically mentioned on the Pentax DFA 85mm Website.

For the other people mentioning the high cost.
Basically this is Pentax's cost is no object lens, and the price commiserate with that. The Canon RF 85mm 1.2 is 2000 dollars plus, the Sony is 1800 dollars, the Nikon's original price was $1600. If people have a problem with the price, the 77mm limited is a wonderful lens that has loads of character. I hope to own the 85mm one day but lets not argue about the price, and instead celebrate that Pentax is fulfilling its promises to their users.

06-04-2020, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
(...) The Canon RF 85mm 1.2 is 2000 dollars plus (...)
2,000 plus plus: $2,699 at launch.
06-04-2020, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
The good thing for you folks in the US is that it's a lot cheaper than here in the UK! We are paying the equivalent of $2379 for the pleasure..!
If it's any consolation, once sales tax is added most of us in the US are paying $2000-2100.
06-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If it's any consolation, once sales tax is added most of us in the US are paying $2000-2100.
Actually the UK price of £1,999, which includes 20% VAT, corresponds to $2,519...
06-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually the UK price of £1,999, which includes 20% VAT, corresponds to $2,519...
I guess £ to $ tilted in the three hours since @Jeff posted

Ah well, the price will go down, eventually.
06-04-2020, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

The price in Denmark will be so high it is taboo to ever mention it.
06-04-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
The price in Denmark will be so high it is taboo to ever mention it.
I can't look at that price and not start imagining what I would by first if I had that to spend.

But on the other hand, there have been times in the last few years when I could have bought it on a whim. So, never say never.

---------- Post added 06-04-20 at 12:13 PM ----------

The test charts from measurements are so inconsistent from site to site on the same lenses, I'm not absolutely certain how relevant they are either.

The only test that counts is your lenses on your cameras. Especially since when lenses are close, sample variation determines which tests better. IMHO for lenses that test within 200 lw/ph on a K-1 or K-3, other factors besides MTF should be the determining factor, like CA control, etc. I know a lot claim bragging rights if a lens is 50 lw/ph better, but that just shows they really don't understand the subtleties of the discussion.

For lenses that are really close on the spec sheet within 150 lw/ph, the chance of a copy you buy from one manufacturer being better than a competing lens will be 50/50, depending on how the other qualities you desire pan out.

On a K-1 or K-3 150 lw/ph is aprox. .05%. People will tell you they can see that in a final image. Don't listen to them, they can't. (They can however if they know which is which in advance. It's rare when a person is comparing, that a person doesn't like an image that they didn't have a bias for before the comparison. There's reason for blind test producing vastly different results from the comparison by someone who favours one lens over the others.)

I went through this with the DAF* 50 1.4 and the competing Zeiss, they are very close, but I prefer the DFA's out of focus rendering, it is significant. The resolution difference if any is not.

But it wasn't a blind test.

Last edited by normhead; 06-04-2020 at 09:37 AM.
06-04-2020, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #44
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I can't look at that price and not start imagining what I would by first if I had that to spend.
Norm, you have an advantage over the rest of us in clearing it with the War Department. She can use it too so, pro rated for 2 users, it's only $1300.00 or so Canadian.
(Think Tess will go for it if you couch it that way? )
06-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #45

The Camera Box out of Brooklyn doesn't seem to charge sales tax except for NY and is an authorised dealer says they are expecting deliveries by mid June.