Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #151
Veteran Member

"Next year, we are planning to launch some three types, including minor design
change versions, of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras."

I don't want to parse this thing to death, but if you'll allow me to put my English Teacher's cap on (the cap that pays the bills), the key point of confusion is that little comma after "versions." Assuming the comma is there on purpose, the meaning of the line is that there will be THREE types of SLRs. For it to mean three types of ANY camera, that comma would have to be absent. "...including minor design change versions" is an aside, and not necessary to the sentence as a whole. It could read:

"Next year, we are planning to launch some three types of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras."

This is essentially saying the same thing.

Todd

12-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done Todd. It will be interesting to see. This is one of those threads that deserve a bookmark for future reference. Or maybe I should archive it.
12-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #153
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
"Next year, we are planning to launch some three types, including minor design
change versions, of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras."

I don't want to parse this thing to death, but if you'll allow me to put my English Teacher's cap on (the cap that pays the bills), the key point of confusion is that little comma after "versions." Assuming the comma is there on purpose, the meaning of the line is that there will be THREE types of SLRs. For it to mean three types of ANY camera, that comma would have to be absent. "...including minor design change versions" is an aside, and not necessary to the sentence as a whole. It could read:

"Next year, we are planning to launch some three types of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras."

This is essentially saying the same thing.

Todd
I would like to remind everyone that is cutting this document apart to read the disclaimer at the very top.

"This represents a translation, for reference and convenience purpose, of the original document issued in Japanese. In the event of any
discrepancies between the Japanese and English versions, the former shall prevail."
12-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
I would like to remind everyone that is cutting this document apart to read the disclaimer at the very top.

"This represents a translation, for reference and convenience purpose, of the original document issued in Japanese. In the event of any
discrepancies between the Japanese and English versions, the former shall prevail."
Yeah, I should have said "if" the comma is meant to be there, not "assuming" the comma is meant to be there.

12-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zplus Quote
This represents a translation, for reference and convenience purpose, of the original document issued in Japanese.
Let assure You that Todd's comma argument is obvious to non-native speakers (like myself) too.

Also, let me add that the sentence makes no sense w/o the comma.

"we are planning to launch some three types ... of SLR"

The "of" applies to types, not versions. What is a sentence "We are planning to launch some three types." supposed to mean? Missile launchs?
12-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #156
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Let assure You that Todd's comma argument is obvious to non-native speakers (like myself) too.

Also, let me add that the sentence makes no sense w/o the comma.

"we are planning to launch some three types ... of SLR"

The "of" applies to types, not versions. What is a sentence "We are planning to launch some three types." supposed to mean? Missile launchs?
I'm just pointing out that the English version may not be translated completely correct. I understand Todd's post and totally agree. I was just using it as an example and pointing out to everyone that unless you can read the original Japanese version not to take the English version too literal.

If that part of the document is translated correctly then as of November 10th they are planning to release 3 DSLRs next year (yay!!!!). So lets hope
12-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do we have any japanese-speakers onsite? That would help to clarify things quickly.
12-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Do we have any japanese-speakers onsite? That would help to clarify things quickly.
I looked up the Japanese version of this document and the corresponding sentence. According to Google,

QuoteOriginally posted by from the English document:
Next year, we are planning to launch some three types, including minor design
change versions, of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras.
QuoteOriginally posted by Japanese original:
すが、来年はこの一眼レフカメラについて、マイナーバージョンも含め 3 種類くらい出していきたい
と考えています
QuoteOriginally posted by Google translation:
However, this digital SLR cameras next year, including three minor versions out much hope are considered.

12-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #159
Inactive Account

I just wished they have a release date for it or at least an announcement early next year. Quite intrigued how the new flasgship would compare to the k20d. plus, an early announcement would mean i could buy a new k20d early..
12-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #160
Veteran Member

PMA maybe?
12-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I tried to translate from original HOYA document, I'm a native speaker in Japanese.

origital document: 来年はこの一眼レフカメラについて、マイナーバージョンも含め 3 種類くらい出していきたいと考えています

translation:We are planning to launch three models of SLR next year, the three models might include minor change version model(s).

----------------------------------------------
In this context, SLR means DSLR.

In using Japanese language, we often don't distinguish singular/ plural nouns, so the translation could be limited.

Last edited by kimpira; 12-12-2008 at 08:07 AM.
12-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #162
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by kimpira Quote
I tried to translate from original HOYA document, I'm a native speaker in Japanese.

origital document: 来年はこの一眼レフカメラについて、マイナーバージョンも含め 3 種類くらい出していきたいと考えています

translation:We are planning to launch three models of SLR next year, the three models might include minor change version model(s).

----------------------------------------------
In this context, SLR means DSLR.

In using Japanese language, we often don't distinguish singular/ plural nouns, so the translation could be limited.

Hi, Kimpira and welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us what's the brand awareness and retail presence of Pentax in Japan? Maybe if you have some informal market share infos too?

Regards,
Radu
12-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Kimpira, that helps a lot.

3 new DLSRs, possibly including "super" versions of current models.
12-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #164

I' m afraid I have no information about the correct market share data.

In Japan, Canon, Nikon's presence is huge as DSLR brand because they have big money for commercial paid. After two giants, Sony, Olympus, Pentax follow.

Before the merge by HOYA, I could hardly find Pentax ads on the web, newspapers and TV.
However, after releasing K-m, I can often see Pentax K-m ads on the web and popular news magazines like AERA.

Last edited by kimpira; 12-12-2008 at 07:30 PM.
12-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #165
Pentaxian

I think pentax FF in 2009 is highly unlikely. I think the chance is less than 1%. If I am proven wrong, I will be damned