Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #181
Forum Member

How well with this work?

I've not used any of the small hand held GPS units, but I have some of the bluetooth and stand alone units for cars etc. and they can take ages to aquire signal and lock on?

12-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #182
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I think pentax FF in 2009 is highly unlikely. I think the chance is less than 1%. If I am proven wrong, I will be damned
I agree with you in that regard, well except for the "be damned" part. I think it is more likely that Pentax will do something different such as an aps-h. Many often overlook the fact that Pentax's medium format cameras are slr and the 645D would be an slr.
12-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The new GPS chips are much faster and don't have a problem with tree canopies or urban city canyons.
12-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #184
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
The new GPS chips are much faster and don't have a problem with tree canopies or urban city canyons.
I think adding it as an optional grip item would make more since. That way, they can streamline manufacturing and not have to build X number of units with gps and x number without it.

12-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think adding it as an optional grip item would make more since. That way, they can streamline manufacturing and not have to build X number of units with gps and x number without it.
Many people that want GPS are hikers and one of the main reasons they like Pentax is for the small form factor. Adding a grip is not an option.
12-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #186
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Many people that want GPS are hikers and one of the main reasons they like Pentax is for the small form factor. Adding a grip is not an option.
I don't care about hicking, I care about knowing in 5-10 years where any picture has been taken. GPS can do that, exactly. SI even in a grip, I'd use it everywhere.
12-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #187
Site Supporter

I hate to break it to you, but adding GPS to the body is going to have an effect on Form factor and I don't think it is going to effect hikers, canoers, or kayakers in a negative way. The K-m is being hocked based on its small form factor but gives up the dust and weather sealing. Finally, many people do in fact have a grip for their K20ds and even the K200d. Besides, I would hate to have an out moded gps unit inside my camera when it could be in the grip.

12-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #188
Veteran Member

I hate to break it to you, but adding GPS to the body is going to have an effect on Form factor and I don't think it is going to effect hikers, canoers, or kayakers in a negative way. .
GPS chips are being put in P&S cameras now and do not increase the size. Why should it change a DSLR? I am a hiker, canoer and a kayaker and i will not buy a grip for any reason.
12-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't care about hicking, I care about knowing in 5-10 years where any picture has been taken. GPS can do that, exactly. SI even in a grip, I'd use it everywhere.
For less than a grip you can buy a great stand alone GPS unit.
12-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #190
Site Supporter

GPS chips are being put in P&S cameras now and do not increase the size. Why should it change a DSLR? I am a hiker, canoer and a kayaker and i will not buy a grip for any reason.
They are in cell phones also, but some of us using professional grade GPS and what's the point if it isn't up to an advanced Garman unit much less a Trimble?

For less than a grip you can buy a great stand alone GPS unit.
Already do.

Edit: A modular design makes more since in the grand scheme of marketing and tailoring it to individual needs rather than a "one size fits all" deal.
12-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep- I don't think it'l cause a significant weight/form factor change.

I see you are from Maine. Some very good friends of mine live there and we're planning to visit them one day. Perhaps we can meet and go hiking/shooting? Always nice to meet another Pentaxian! What say you?
This isn't going to happen next year however as our budget is strangled by the mortgage etc. But it WILL happen one day
12-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #192
Veteran Member

I see you are from Maine. Some very good friends of mine live there and we're planning to visit them one day. Perhaps we can meet and go hiking/shooting? Always nice to meet another Pentaxian! What say you?
This isn't going to happen next year however as our budget is strangled by the mortgage etc. But it WILL happen one day
Love to have you visit. Our mountains don't match yours but the lobster fishing is a very colorful sight. Take a look at my pbase site listed in the footer. I'd be more than happy to show you around.
Ken
12-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #193
Site Supporter

The gps unit in the P6000 can be off as much as several hundred meters according to the manual. It is also limited by trees etc. here is my favorite excerpt from the manual:
QuoteQuote:
receiving of signals will be smoother when antenna is facing the sky
I guess that isn't too big of a deal with a P&S.

But 100 plus meters is next to worthless for what I would need in a gps unit in field sites.
12-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I think you should try therapy.

My therapist sugested I start a relaxing hoby... Like photography.
12-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with you in that regard, well except for the "be damned" part. I think it is more likely that Pentax will do something different such as an aps-h. Many often overlook the fact that Pentax's medium format cameras are slr and the 645D would be an slr.
Yes, and fortunately I have the 67 --> 645 adapter at hand in case the 645D should materialize. Real nice to be able to use my 67 lenses with both systems.